Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Anxiety Or Stress - Left Side Rib & Back Pain.

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
Does anyone ever have pain on the left side of your back just below the should blade? Also pain on the left side of your lower front ribs. Also do you ever feel that you might faint?

I get this when I think i'm stressed, I think.....?

I'm nto sure if it is anxiety / stress or something else.

Can anyone help?????????????

Thanks
darin
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper sandfly
|

replied January 21st, 2006
Experienced User
I get back pain all over in random parts of the back at random times. I have had the left shoulder blade pain, too. All of my pains I have been told are related to anxiety. I don't know if it's from being so tense or what, but yes I do get it.
|

replied December 13th, 2006
Sad this is amazing to read.I just got out of the hospital for pain in my left side under the rib. Ithought I had a kidney stone. They gave me 2 ct scans lung & chest x rays, upper & lower gi's a stress test, heart monitoring, you name it, they tested it. Results: nada. I've had this pain for 5 days, not the first time. I was wrapping xmas presents on the floor, and it hit. I went to bed immediately with a heating pad. It wouldnt go away so I called my dr & he advised to go to the emerg. Room..I didnt really want to do that, but he wanted all the tests done right away, so off I went, and they kept me. Had a nasty dr there who seemed to think I was faking. Just before they released me, they told me my final ct scan showed something at the exact spot it was hurting. Finally. You want something wrong so they can fix it right?
I wish I could tell you the name of what they called it. As soon as I go for my follow up with my gp I will get it and put it on here. It sounded like something to do with appendix (but it didnt, besides I had mine out in 1955) . What my dr who had previously given me a colonoscopy told me is this: your colon is shaped like an h only the bar in the middle is at the top. Things grow off the outside of the colon made of fatty tissue and are called by this name (?) but they are usually just harmless dingleberries, he called them. They have a vein with blood going thru them, and they can twist and/or turn or kink. If they do so it can be terribly painful. In the 'old days' when this happened and people came to the hospital in such pain the only recourse was to operate to see what was causing it. When they found these things, they couldnt remove them, so they sewed the person back up and just used pain management. Which is what he said they would have to do for me. The spot he saw in the ct scan he says is a twisted 'one of these things' that i'll get the name for and there's nothing that can be done for it except take meds for pain relief. Since he did have a name for it and it made sense, I think he knows what he's talking about. Like I said, I will put the name on here as soon as I get it, and maybe the dr on here can further show us what it is. At least it's an answer (of sorts). Good luck to all of us. Oh, and as I said I had this pain before, about 5 years ago, was in the hospital for 7 days with diarreah, they called it a bowel disorder, ran a hundred tests, starved me, ran up a bill it took me over a year to pay, and didnt cure a thing. Question
|

replied December 15th, 2006
Left Side Pain Below Rib Cage
The name of the condition is epiploic appendagitis
and it occurs outside the colon in the sigmoid area, it's a pouchy bag like diverticulitis, has a blood vessel in it and can get twisted, turned, or kinked which causes severe sharp pain.
In the old days when a patient presented with this pain the only thing dr's could do was operate to see what was inside. Upon finding this condition they could do nothing for it so closed up the incision. Now with ct scans they can see it without opening up and the only treatment is pain management. This is a condition likely to recur. Look in emedicine, sandor joffe,md, section 5 of 11.
It is not 'in your mind' you are depressed because you are in pain.
|

replied March 27th, 2012
i have severe anxiety problems ,i feel like im having heart attacks n almost blackin out on the floor. i flip out easily n curse n cry so hard. i need help and i feel like i cant get any .
|

replied July 9th, 2012
do yoga and meditation, yo
seriously. helped me so much.
|

replied May 12th, 2013
dose anxiety cause under rip cage on left side and diarrhea?
Hi everyone would you please please help me? I have same problems with my left side of rip cage it start after colonoscopy I had about month ago. I had about 500 blood tests done including CT scan ultrasound chest x-ray nothing shows up. This all happed about 5 moths go when I had lots symptoms thought they maybe cancer or chronic virus such as hep c or hiv. So from 10/ 01/2013 I had on going loos stool and diarrhoea as well as stomach cramping and so on. I went lots different Dr some of them think is IBS and anxiety. Would you please and please help me to answer these questions. Can anxiety cause all these symptoms i have mentioned at above? Thanks for helps.
|

replied October 5th, 2013
Middle back pain left side and abdomen
I been having middle back pain since Dec. 12(just left side) and also I feel like I have something in my abdomen upper side also the left side, i feel this usually when i bend down or sometimes for no reason. I cannot sleep on my left side because of the pain that basically goes around abdomen a back. Also when I sit down if my back touches anything i feel the pain againg but worse.I have lots of gases too. August 2011 i had my entire thryoid removed because of papillary cancer, didnt need any radiactive iodine, just taking levothyroxine 150. Im 6"1 and weight around 200lbs. Im always worried checking illness in the web, usually picking the really bad ones. My gastro dont want to give me any more tests, he did almost everyone with in the last 4years. He says no more radiation for me. He wants to give me anxiety pills.
Anybody please help.
|