Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

viral menanjitis on spine

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
Hi, i'm aubrey and i'm 18. I've been to doctor after doctor and no one can seem to tell me whats wrong with me.
Ok, about 6 months ago my right side of my face went paralyzed and then numbness spread to my whole face. An ambulance was called and when I arrived at the hospital, the doctor saw me for about 2 minutes, diagnosed me with bells palsy(sorry bout spelling) and put me on steroids. 2 days later I started experiencing tremendous pain so again I went to the er. After being there for about 10 hours and running several tests including a spinal tap they sent me home. For 3 days the pain was intensifying at a rapid rate and we got a call saying the spinal showed I had viral menanjitis and they wanted to hospitalize me for pain management. By the time I got there I was in a wheelchair and barely coherent. My symptoms increased and more tests were run. Several days later my face went back to normal and I was sent home with no answers. Here it is almost 6 months and 8 doctors later and im still in the dark. Its gotten to the point that ive had to quit my job and am struggling through school because I cant sit there all day in the pain im in. The pain started in my back and has spread to every part of my body, (it feels like its in my bones not a muscle hurt). They dont really seem to understand that and just keep telling me my back muscles are weak from the menanjitis and just giving me more medication that does nothing but make me sick, and then brush me off. They also say my kidneys are starting to shut down and when I ask why, I am never given a clear answer. Every day I am getting progessively worse and I feel I have no where else to turn. I honestly feel like im dying, like my body is rapidly deteriorating and no one can tell me why or if I can fix it. Im to the point that I would do anything to get better! Ive been to neurologists, chiropractors, physiatrists, etc. Im prescribed hydrocodone, percocet, vicoden, torodal shots etc and have found nothing that even dims the pain. Im extremely desperate and I would appreciate any input and ideas to whats going on. Thank you for listening when it seems like no one else is hearing me.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 23rd, 2006
I wish I could give you a good answer but I can't. All that I can do is give advice, keep looking for answer's by yourself on the internet, look up any word that relate's to you, try other forums, "spine and beyond" is a good one, i'm sure you have, but ask lot,s of question's, let the doc's know what is and what is'nt working. I know how they can be, doctor's come in to see you for about 1 minute and say "here, try this, and if that does'nt work call for another appointment". Don't let them go, make them work for that 100 dollar's a minute, all's their doing is talking anyway. Steevo
|

replied January 23rd, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
As far as pain management is concerned there is a whole lot more that they can be doing to make your life more liveable while trying to make a correct diagnosis and treatment plan.

You might as the doc about the fentanyl transdermal patches along with non-acetamenophin containing oxycodone instead of percocet because if you are going to end up in long term treatment, you are going to want to be avoiding tylenol as a daily medicine.

As far as the symptoms go, you have classic symptoms of menengitis but they should never have let you go until they knew it was under control and you were well on your way to better health.

Let us know how it goes,
brian
|

replied January 27th, 2006
Thanx For Listening
I really appreciate your advice. Im still at a loss but its nice to know that someone out there is actually listening to me. I will try to keep you posted on whats going on. Right now im exactly the same if not getting worse. I have honestly given up hope on the docs, they have no idea what theyre talking about, but maybe they would if they would actually ask me whats going on lol. Thank you so much and if you happen to stumble upon anything sounding familiar to what im going through an update would be great. Im still searching and thanks again for being there!
|