Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Mononucleosis Forum

How Long Is Mono Contagious? (Page 1)

Must Read
Is mononucleosis bacterial or viral? Does everyone get mono at some time? How does mono spread? Basic facts and definitions about "the kissing disease". ...
Do you know what causes mono? Although children are more at risk than adults,what can you do to avoid getting sick from mono? Review risk factors here....
The symptoms of mono may not manifest for everyone who contracts the Epstein-Barr virus. But when are symptoms serious? And when should you seek medical help?...
I got mono in october, how do I know if it is still contagios?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper greatestday
|

replied December 28th, 2003
Experienced User
I don't think you are contagious anymore. Mono is most contagious in the thirty days prior to your first symptoms - so a month before you start getting sick is when you are contagious.
|

replied March 19th, 2006
You Are Still Contagious. At Least 6 Months!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mono is contagious for up to 6 months after you start feeling better from the initial symptoms. So when you start feeling the first signs of mono ( flu like symptoms) you will have it for about 3-5 days. Once you start feeling better you are still contagious for up to (but no limited to) 6 months!!! No kissing or sharing food or drinks for at least that long. Don't help spread mono!
|

replied March 19th, 2006
I Had Mono...
At the same time, and was with my bf before and after, not knowing why I lacked energy in the before time, and he never got sick. Neither did anyone else around me. But boy, symptoms lasted for at least 4 months. So, that must have been luck, because technically, you're infectious up to a year afterwards. Sometimes, occasional b-cells will carry the eb virus on them, unable to de-power the virus, and can cause some one else to be sick. So be careful. And if you're with someone you don't really love, then don't kiss/do the thang if you're unsure about your situation!!!
|

replied January 28th, 2008
Is mono still contagious a year after someone has had it? And how can you tell if you are immune to it?
|

replied February 5th, 2008
I had mono this last summer and researched the heck out of it. For me, it took about 4 months to feel like myself although the worse symptoms were in the first two months. You have to assume that you are potentially contagious for up to a year after you first get it. The reason that your girlfriend may not get it is because she mayhave had it already (over 50% of people have it in childhood where it resembles flu like symptoms). This was the worst illness I ever had so I'm not taking chances around the people I love! For me, no kissing or sharing things for a year to be on the safe side.
|

replied May 8th, 2008
i need help!!!! ASAP!!!
well, i had mono for like a week. maybe two. but no more than two weeks.
my prom is coming up, and i want it to be romantic and i want 2 be able to kiss my boyfriend.
it has been a month since i got over mono. after the week, i felt better. i was back to myself.
would i be able to kiss my boyfriend next week???
please help! i need an answer soon! thanks! Very Happy
|

replied September 7th, 2008
Felt lots better in 5 days
well... i have mono right now. i got my symptoms [saturday august 30th] and went to urgent care [sunday august 31st], they gave me this numbing throat stuff.
i heard that ppl usually stay out of school for months but i was only out for 2 days.
i was really exhausted and my throat killed and my voice was really different
[kinda country western, lol] for about 4 days [saturday to tuesday]
but then i began to get my energy back and ended up going to school [thursday and friday] and worked [saturday and sunday of this week the 6th and 7th of september]

but i guess i am really lucky because i am bounced back and feel like myself again. i feel great but still taking my meds the doc gave me just to make sure im good. but yeah i guess it lasts a long time i had it 4-6 weeks before it got really worse the doctor said. i have the same issue i have this guy i met a few days before it[mono] hit me and it sucks but oh well.

good luck with everyone else though i hope you all bounce back soon like me =)
|

replied October 11th, 2008
Help!
So I've had mono for about 2 months now. And my bad symptoms (you know the sore throat and such) dissipated about a month ago. And today I kissed a guy COMPLETELY forgetting i have mono! And it was for some stupid rookie initiation too, so now i feel terrible! What are the chances of him actually catching it when I'm past the incubation period and everything? I
|

replied December 31st, 2008
Ok i dont know what to do my gf has mono she has had it for 2 months and her doctor that she went to said that she would be contagious ive been looking online and it says mono is only contagious for 2 months after you have been diagnosed with it and you can still have symptoms after wards and i just kissed my gf tonight and i drank from a straw that she did from 2 weeks ago from friday and 2 weeks is what the doctor told her it would take to find out what should i do do you think im contagious???
|

replied January 24th, 2009
i really like this girl but i dont want to lose her
i know she wonders why i wont kiss her.Im a romantic guy and i get her all ready and what not,then turn my head.Shes really diddin me too.Should I just tell her????and my symtoms only been gon for like 2 wks
|

replied March 12th, 2009
please help!
So I drank after my cousin last month (who had mono but didn't bother to tell me until after I drank after her). Three days ago I woke up with my neck, head and throat hurting. I tested positive for mono. It has now been four days of me knowing that I have it. I also have a boyfriend.. We just started dating and apparantly he doesn't care if he kisses me. I've been researching this like crazy and all the websites are telling me I'm only contagious for two months. Is that true?
|

replied March 15th, 2009
Torn :(
So I was diagnosed with mono yesterday, and my family seems to think that i got it from my boyfriend (who had it when he was 12!!). But after a certain time the virus stops being contagious right??? But is it possible that he could still infect me 7 years later???
Any help is appreciated.
|

replied November 1st, 2012
yes, according to all the research i have done, as i have mono now, the one thing that is constant is that once youve had it, you are always a carrier for it. while there most likely will not be any syptoms ever again, the virus can still spring up and infect others.
|

replied May 21st, 2009
well 2 weeks ago i was dianosed wit mono and now i feel great!! im eattin lik usual and everything.. but is it time for me to kiss my boyfriend.. i dont have tha symtoms anymore but its only been 2 weeks.. i dont want him to get it but i miss kissin him! is it possible thAT it wont be contagious since it didnt last long for me...
|

replied June 19th, 2009
i have mono and the symptoms just started showing a week or two ago.
my tonsils are so swollen that i cant swollow anything.. including my saliva.
i can barely talk.. people say i sound like stitch off of lilo and stitch.
i cant breath well and i have been on a few different meds cause nothing is helping with the swelling.
i just got mono a few days before summer starts so i was wondering.. will it ruin my whole summer?
how long will the symptoms last?
and i would like to be able to kiss so how long is it contagious for?
|

replied June 24th, 2009
Fast Recovery - Severe Case
I was on about 4 different medications before something actually gave me relief to my mono symptoms (swelling in the throat). My doctor put me on steriods and I was kinda scared to go on them at first but it was seriously the only thing that helped my swelling. I couldnt even swallow my own saliva it was so bad. Also the steriods helped me with energy. I was only on them for 6 days, along with 2 other medications (for the infection) and I feel like a million dollars now. I recovered from it really fast. I had a really bad case too, I was actually in the hospital about 3 different nights where they had to give me injections in my side for the swelling in the throat. I aswell sounded like stitch off lilo and stitch, it was quite entertaining. I now have been better for about a week and a half, i feel better then i did before i got mono. And I'm wondering how long I'm contagious. Nobody around me caught it (in my family, or friends) and its not like i was especially careful, or quarantined lmao. If you get it you get it... its a chance you gotta take. Life goes on, atleast its not cancer or something Smile take it easyy!
|

replied June 30th, 2009
i went on steriods too.
and they helped alot.
now i feel alot better.
everyone is being careful around me cause they dont wanna catch it.
so theyy make sure they dont share anything with me and stuff loll.
people say it lasts a month, otheres say 4 months, and some say 18 months.
im not sure how contagious it is but i know it will gradually fade.
|

replied September 25th, 2009
mono
well i had mono for bout a week n i have been tryin to track down how i got it,i went to this party n drank from this chicks cup n thought that i mayb got it fron her but durin that party my cuz messed around wit her n he didnt get anythin so there has to b sumone else that gave it to me n the only person i can think of is this chick that i have been seein but shes a good girl n it took me bout a month into us seein eachother to get a kiss,so do u think i could of gotten it from her??
|

replied July 1st, 2012
It is possible because generally healthy people can be carriers for the ebstein bar virus that causes mono. I too think I got mono from my girlfriend. There is an incubation period for mono as well so if you haven't been seeing this girl long it is possible she gave you mono.
|

replied October 6th, 2009
i went for blood work 2 weeks ago. i feel fine just had a little bit of a sore throat. i kissed my ex 6months ago. they say i have mono is it contagious? i feel just fine
|

replied December 5th, 2009
I got mono from my boyfriend who had it 8 months ago so i would wait close to a year
|
12 >>
Quick Reply