Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Nuvaring And Skipping Periods

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
I am new to nuvaring and am going on my third month, and so far I love it. I am in a long-distance relationship and I have always planned my periods with birth control pills around the times that we will be together (we see each other about every 3 months). Now that i'm on nuvaring, I am a little worried about what to do.
The next time I see my fiance, I am going to have my period almost the entire visit. I would like to delay my period one week, not have it the week before (because if I have it the week before, my period will still be going when I go see him).
Is it safe to take my nuvaring out after the three weeks, and then go two weeks before inserting a new one? I will not be having sex for two months after I do this, so do you think it's ok?
The only other solution is to skip my period for two months, can I do that on nuvaring by inserting a new ring after the third week?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 16th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Skipping period is easily done with nuva ring. It is actually good for 4 whole weeks, not just three, so you could just skip a period with nuva ring. But remember no matter which way you skip a period there can still be faint spotting and bleeding.It is best to seek advice of a doc about skipping.
|

replied January 17th, 2006
Experienced User
Well, the thing is, I don't really want to skip a period. Let me explain in more detail.
Right now, I am on my "ring free" week. Normally, I would insert a new ring jan 29 and leave it in for three weeks, etc. If I am to continue using the nuvaring normally in this way, I should have my period march 14-18. However, I am going to be visiting my fiance from the 12-18.
I am not comfortable with inserting a new ring that week in march, or keeping one in for four weeks, because my period seems to be very stubborn; I had tried doing this on bc pills and I had my period anyway.
What I would like to do is go two weeks without a nuvaring this month (so, instead of inserting a new one on jan 29, I would insert a new one on feb 5)- and this would therefore cause me to have my period the week after my visit.
Is this okay?
|

replied January 22nd, 2006
Experienced User
Does anyone know if this is ok to do? (essentially go off of nuvaring for one week to delay my period?)
|

replied January 22nd, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
You would still have starnge spotting and odd bleeding that could be bothersome, but as long as you are not having sex (unprotected) it is not harmful.
|

replied December 11th, 2009
Periods suck, so I skip them with NuvaRing.
I've been on NuvaRing continuously since March of 2009, it's now December, and leaving the ring in for four weeks at a time, removing and immediately inserting a new one from the freezer. I love not having a period, makes my life sooo much easier with school and work. I don't even have a sexual partner, I'm waiting for that man that I'm going to marry. I do it for my convenience because I don't like having a period (it's painful and a drag) and not for the protection against pregnancy (since I'm not having sex). I have to date of using the ring for 3.5 years now had absolutely no side effects at all. I highly recommend it. I'm in training to become a nurse and asked the doctor that teaches my anatomy class if there's any reason why a woman needs to have a period and if there's any side effects to not having one for an extended amount of time. He said "No, there's no physiological need to have a period and it shouldn't affect your future ability to have children or cause any illness or disease." I was very happy and relieved to hear that.
|