Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Getting Period Soon, Can I Start Pack Early?

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
I know i'm getting my period soon (the horrible cramps I get are a sure sign that period will arrive within 3-4 days). I was wondering if hypothetically my period does not arrive by sunday, can I start my pack early even if I knew my period would probably come the next day?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper motu
|

User Profile
replied June 10th, 2008
Doctor
You can't start the pack before your period starts. There are 2 way you can start taking birth control pills:
1. To start the pills on the first day of your period no matter which day it is. If you chose this start you will be protected from the first day of starting the pills.
2. Sunday start - you start the pack on the first Sunday after the period begins. If the period starts in Sunday you should start the pills on that day (Sunday). If the period starts on any other day you should wait until next Sunday comes. If you chose this way of beginning the pills you should use additional contraceptive method (condom) in the first 7 days while taking the pills (except if started in Sunday).
|

replied June 10th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
NO!!

YOU CAN START THE PILL ANYTIME!

There are BENEFITS to starting birth control pills on your period though!

IF you start on your period you are protected IMMEDIATELY, but if not you must wait 7 full days or BC pill use to be protected.

Starting on your period also makes breakthrough bleeding and spotting less likely.
|

replied January 1st, 2009
I'm confused.
So I can start taking my very first pill in the pack today, Wednesday.. even though I haven't gotten my period yet? I am due to get it early next week.

I haven't been on the pill for about 3 years now due to a pregnancy, but am ready to be back on them.
However, I have a trip coming up the end of next week and do not want to have my period!

Can I start the pill now and hopefully not get my period this month? I can handle some spotting.
I'm not concerned with getting pregnant again.. I won't be having sex. I just don't want my period!
|

replied February 19th, 2009
did it work?
moto - did you end up starting your bc before your period? i am not on the pill but have a script for it. this weekend i have a getaway with my boyfriend before we are apart for 5 months! i REALLY don't want to get my periodddd. any advice? will starting the pill today work?
|

replied March 21st, 2013
mensuration period
am starting my periods next week thursday and l want to travel on that day and comes back on monday. what do l do to stop the period? help me please
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Dr. Andrijana Shterjovska
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul