Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Always Think Im Ill

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Hi, I just want to know wether this is a symptom of anxiety but I always think theres something wrong with me medically. Wheather it's cancer, a life threatning virus ect as soon as I manage to get one out of my head somethings in the paper, newes or a tv show and off I go again. I worry myself sick, think about it constantly, and as soon as I know what the symptoms are I either a)belive I already have them or b)then belive i'm developing them. Right now I keep thinking I might have something like hiv, whitch started by whatching an episode of er and before this I thought I had a brain tumor after whatching a made for tv film. Does anyone else experience this? And is it a symptom of anxiety? Also any way I can stop this vicious cycle? I think its triggered whenever im away from home as it happend a couple of years ago on holiday with friends and has started again now that i've started university miles from home. All help appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper rtenketi21
|

replied January 15th, 2006
Thank You
Thankyou for you your advice, and I will definatly try it out, but do you have any advice on how to combat this negative thought process, and if this is a symptom of anxiety?
|

Since you said it gets triggered when your away from home, it leads me to believe you maybe experiencing a sign of being home sick which is apart of anxiety. I hope that helps.
|

Wow I didn't realise that home sickness was apart of anxiety and I fell very homesick especially when im alone in my room at night, but what can I do about it I can't leave my uni. I have friends at uni but like I said its when im alone this creeps up on me. I feel lost and very helpless.
|

Alot of people feel just like you when going into a new environment. You just have to know that it's not uncommon, and as you get more comfortable with your university the better you'll feel about being away from home. Just know that it's not uncommon to feel this way. Being comfortable is the key so if you can master that I dont see why you can't stay at your university. But if you can never feel comfortable, have you thought about going to a school closer to home?
|

I'd love to go to one closer to home but the uni im at is the best one for what im studying, even though since going I haven't been performing to my best at all, its like I lost all my motivation, I don't sleep either just feel like eveyday im going through the motions. When I look back all this anxiety stared about a week after first going to uni.
|

Yeah, it can be the best for what your studying, but is it the best for you? That's what you have to take into account. Your not going to recieve the full college education if your mind isn't into what you plan on studying. I suggest you take a break and het your priorities leveled, then make a decision afterwards.
|

replied March 29th, 2009
anxiety
hi yes you are experiencing what i have only mine is a bit mmore deeper than ures it is a horrible thing to get probably worser than gettin the real illness even tho you are medically fine wich u are trust me i have had scans blood tests the lot all clear but anxiety can still get the better of you stay in uni buddy dont ruin ya life over stay strong its just anxiety dont let yourself tell you it aint anxiety ok best of luck i have had mmmmmine everyday for 3 years exacly what you have
|

replied April 14th, 2010
Experienced User
to emmie, this is a old post so you proberbly wont read this now but it might help someone else. I was diagnosed with anxiety after having a panic attack out of the blue 3 years ago. Ever since i had that attack, i quicly developed this fear of getting ill or having another one, which in the end becomes a vicious cycle. although im having therapy now, i again developed this obsession with thinking that something was wrong with me. If i watched the news, it all seemed to be cancer, and id got it, or a stroke, and i was going to have one, and yes iv been down the brain tumor route aswell and had the scans of which were negative. The headaches and backaches id been experiencing are all real, but it is my anxiety and obsessional thought processes that are causing all these aches and pains, its very catch 22 unless you put a stop to it and break this crippling cycle. I usually start going into a negative thought process at night time, when i become more fearful, even though i live with my partner who tries his utmost best to reassure me on more than numerous occasions. I even developed a fear that i would have a epiletic fit, but got over that one, now its liver cancer. I dont want to be like this, as im sure other people experiencing the same thing dont either, i feel like im chained to these emotions, but anyone out there who has all this fear, use your energy on seeking out help for yourself, therapy, exersise helps alot, and if you have a pain somewhere, which can be real, and you know you suffer from anxiety, then tell yourself, that its the mind ruling the body and playing tricks on you, and also go to the doctors to get advice on how to handle anxiety.
|

replied July 1st, 2010
Hey guys

I just want you to all know that reading this is all making me feel a lot better. Im not sure what is wrong with me and to be honest with you im sick of everyone thinking that iv lost the plot. Ever since i was young i can remember thinking that there was something clinically wrong with me. Recently I have been experiencing the worst anxiety i think i have ever have. I have had symptoms such as pins and needles in my legs, tickling on my legs, dizziness, light head, ears rumbling, my arms hurt, my muscles hurt and my heart beats fast then it feels like its not beating at all. Iv been to the doctors several times- all to different ones and they all believe i suffer from bad anxiety. I went to hospital at the start of the year due to a pinched nerve in my back but thought I was dying and ever since then the symptoms have progressed. I cant sleep. When i do wake up i dont want to get out of bed. Iv thought iv had nearly every disease with these symptoms none of which have come up. Iv had blood tests, xrays, ultrasounds. Iv seen a physio, a chiro and accupuncute and finally a neuro. Getting a MRI on my head and spine tomorrow however i have no symptoms as of late except my head feels light and tingly. When im busy im fine. When I stop and think it ruins me. Fingers crossed you are all ok xoxox
|

replied December 16th, 2011
this is kinda late by i feel ill from time to time. when i dont think about it im ok but i keep reminding myself that im ill so i become ill, ive been to the doctor but they just did some tests but they didnt think there was anything wrong with me. ive been burping alot and my stomach makes noises alot mostly when i drink tea. is this the cause or am i actually ill
|

replied December 19th, 2011
i do the same thing. I always think there is something wrong with me and I am obsessive so I get so focused on it. If im busy during the day im fine but when it starts getting dark and I have nothing to do my mind starts the "what if's". Now i do the same thing with my kids. My 5yr old had a tummy bug and I worried myself and swore he had something fatal. It drives me crazy. I hate being scared of EVERYTHING. I cannot even live my life anymore..just dont know how to stop this. I feel like I have chains holding me down because of the panic.
|

replied December 20th, 2011
why do i always think im ill
yeah i feel the same im 24 and always think im dying..is it cancer, heart problem, never been for tests or anything and realy dont want to! i constantly think i have a heart problem then i get little pains and that sets me off i always get heart burn its horrible...if u constantly think of something like heart problems ect will you actualy get the pain/symptoms??
|

replied December 20th, 2011
I hav found that your mind is very powerful and your mind (anxiety) can cause you to hurt anywhere that you are focused on. Ex. I ate a greasy hamburger yesterday and got full(you know where you are miserable, thirsty, sleepy all at once?)Well then i started thinking stuff like Geez, if I keep eating like this im gonna have a heart attack. Then my stomach started hurting under my ribs, my chest started hurting etc..I am having a really hard time with my anxiety but I am TRYING to tell myself that I am letting this stuff control me and my thoughts. If you ever want to share "horror" stories you can email me. Sometimes its good just to know you are not the only one in the world that feels like you do.
|

User Profile
replied December 21st, 2011
This is called health anxiety- it's a form of anxiety and also associated to OCD. I have suffered from health anxiety since I was 15, now 35, and I go through 'episodes', when for months I will feel perfectly normaly but then I will be gripped by thoughts that I have a life threatening illness and convince myself into the symptoms. I am trying out cognitive therapy soon to see if that helps.
|

replied September 10th, 2013
Hi everyone. I'm feel the same things that everyone feels. At the moment I see a therapist once a week ( which has been helping) but I'm not going to be seeing her forever and that scares me. At the moment I've going through a ruff time, my mother in law has cancer and I've just found out that my brother has it. I lost my mom to cancer when I was 13 and I'm now 36. These last weeks I've been getting a pain in my back which I'm convincing myself I've got cancer. I just want to be normal again! Reading all your stories does help though. Thank you.
|

replied September 27th, 2013
Experienced User
Focus on the work, this enable you to give nice sleep during the night.
|

replied September 29th, 2013
its a imagine of our mind so we feel same thing as we read or listen anywhere,same problem facing by me but i have control by Yoga & meditation now i m feeling very relax and calm.i suggest you go for daily yoga & meditation also so that you can control on your thoughts and feel very relax.
|
Users who thank rtenketi21 for this post: flobabe 

replied October 2nd, 2013
Experienced User
This is surely the sleep disorders, there are many cause for this reason.
|