Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Multiple Sclerosis Forum

Could I Have Ms? What Do the Lesions In My Brain Mean?

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....

multiple sclerosis question
posted: 01-13-06 2:33pm

------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------

multiple sclerosis

question: I had an mri of the brain in 1996 with abnormal white matter lesions and another one in 2005 with even more white matter lesions and am now supposed to have a lumbar puncture next week. The only symptom I seem to have is some incoordination of my 4th and 5th fingers on my left hand which makes it very hard to do my job as a medical transcritionist, which is why I had the mri of the brain in 2005. The first mri was done for a severe headache I got postoperatively. I do not have high blood pressure nor migraine headaches. I am quite tired all the time but have thought it was from narcotic pain meds for the chronic back pain. What is wrong with me? What are these lesions. They are nonspecific and scattered in the white matter. Are these lesions going to replace healthy brain, cause dementia?

What about people diagnosed with ms, what do your brain mris show?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 15th, 2006
I also have bilateral palmar erythema and pretty severe bilateral palm hand pain that I thought was related to my job as a transcriptionist (which means I type 8 hours a day), but now I am not so sure. I think my job aggravates the pain in my palms but does not actually cause it. The incoordination is so bad in my left hand that I am in danger of not being able to do my job anymore.

Please help~has anybody had any of these symptoms? The doctors seem to be concerned about ms versus some other demyelinating disease because of the white matter lesions in my brain, thus, the lumbar puncture scheduled for tuesday.

I am really getting scared not only for my health, but because I am divorced and have no other means of supporting myself but with my hands!

Does any of this sound familiar to anybody?
|

Is There Nobody Out There? I Am Desperate And Scared!
Please read and reply if you have any similar symptoms or findings on mri. The lesions they say are not typical of ms but I don't know that they can explain them either. There are multiple scattered white matter lesions that have been increasing!
|

replied May 18th, 2013
Hi there, I am new to this site and noticed your post. Have you gotten a diagnosis yet? I have white matter lesions on the brain in the juxtacortical position and was recently told by my neuro that I do not have MS. I am experiencing many symptoms and my mom has MS.

I am scared as well.

Hope to hear from you...

Carms
|

Active User, very eHealthy
Try to post this in the ask doctor field. I am totally ignorant about what .M.S. Actually is and how it affects your body.

You also may want to go to google and do a search for anything that has to do with the treatment and also the effects of ms.
|

replied June 15th, 2010
I am having a flair-up of my MS at this time. It is affecting my left forearm and hand. The last three fingers on my left hand are completely numb. At times I have the 'pins and needles' feeling. I type with my job, as well, and it is really difficult. My latest mri, last week, showed lesions in my brain stem, where the mri from last yr, showed none. I am attributing the neuropathy in my had to the lesions. I have also had muscle spasms in both sides of my back, on the inside of the scapula. They are enough to bring you to your knees. Wow, never had pain like this before. I am hoping it resolves soon.
|