Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Crawling Under the Skin Feeling.... (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn the basics about skin health, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a skin disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for various skin disorders....
I keep getting these feelings, usually at night, of twitching and things moving under my skin or in the veins. Sometimes it's like a small twitching pulse, which has been in my legs, neck, face, and even lips. Other times it's like I can feel something thick moving through my veins or under my skin, like there's a little creature moving through them. My legs also twitch and occasionally jerk. Does anyone else get anything similar?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper murphy83
|
Users who thank backhome22 for this post: vanphelan 

replied January 11th, 2006
Yes, and you don't know how comforting it is to know that you feel it too. I get them in my arms, neck, legs, and back. Most of the times it feels like its in my veins, and I freak out, thinking something must be wrong with my heart, when in all likelyhood there is nothing wrong. I've searched on the internet constantly for something about "twitching veins" or "twitching arteries" and can never find anything so I always tell myself it's just anxiety, even though it scares me.
|

replied July 27th, 2011
i get the skin crawling all the time my dad says its a sign i have a mental disorder or tht im crazy...is he right?
|

replied October 19th, 2011
Strange feeling in veins
It may be as simple as dehydration- try really drinking enough water!
|

replied July 9th, 2012
Experienced User
it might be side effect of some medications, stress, anexiety or fear of some thing bad might happen.
|

replied January 17th, 2006
I get that too. Except mine happens all the time. I get twitching, and that weird feeling that is hard to describe. But yes, "crawling under your skin' is probalbly the best way to describe it. I have posted a thread to try and get some responses on this. I am also going to visit my doctor soon.
|

replied May 27th, 2011
Yea, i have it mostly in the day but it happens in my eyes,legs,and feet i sometimes think its parasites in my body im really scared but happy im not the only one with it but im worried if its like dangerous.should i get help tell a parent or a school nurse.i`ve never told my mom before though should i tell a friend get help tell a guardian my science teacher my parents or event my nurse.
|

replied April 16th, 2012
i am suffering with same problems. I feel like something is moving inside my veins. When I asked the problem to my physician, she told me that its a anxiety symptoms and its not the problems on veins and heart.
|

replied January 20th, 2006
I have had that 'skin crawl' feeling my whole life and have always just moved my foot to relieve the feeling. Mine is also worse at night and if I am trying to sit still too long. I was searching on the internet a while back for anything to explain the feeling and came across interesting information on something called 'restless leg syndrome'. I have no idea if this is what I have because I have not yet mentioned it to my Dr. But it sure described my symptoms perfectly. Interestingly I have had the 'skin crawl' feeling as far back as I can remember and I had no symptoms of panic or anxiety until five years ago, after an accident, so I don't know if the two are related or not.
|

Experienced User
Does anyone else get pains in thier body along with this sometimes? I heard the twitching could be part of a somatoform disorder(nervous system disorder) and for me always worrying about my health, that would make sense....Gawd i'd much rather have a somatoform disorder than have anything really wrong with my body!
|

Next time you want to be an !**@! and scare people, try and spell things right.

And if you're serious, this is why I thank god for american doctors.
|

replied January 30th, 2006
Skin Crawling
So "dr.Davidson", please tell me if you would be so kind, when searching for the name “davidson” on the Dal.Ca/ website, you are not listed....

It seems strange that you are not there. Maybe the university are not quick to list illiterate professionals.

Now, turning swiftly back to the topic of conversation, I am presently suffering from this twitching under the skin. It is localized in one place, on the middle of my shinbone. It seems to be worse whilst sitting. It conjures up images of blood flowing through a partially blocked vein or artery.

Are the other sufferers here in good medical condition? Do you exercise regularly? Do you smoke/drink/other? Are you over weight? It would be interesting to build up a picture of whether or not we are all in a similar physical condition.
|

replied April 17th, 2012
Skin crawling on shinbone
This is EXACTLY what i have. Its just in one place and right on my shinbone, it seems to happen a few time a day. Have you found out anything on this?
|

replied January 30th, 2006
Experienced User
That's exactly how mine feels, like a vein is blocked or something!!! I usually get the twitches in several places. As for my physical condition-
i'm 20 yrs old, female, 5'9, 140 lbs, do not smoke or drink, and work out a couple days a week usually, but not consistently. I'm generally healthy(i think) but worry a lot about my health.
|

replied January 31st, 2006
Twitching Skin
Thanks for that. I am male, 30 years old 6 foot tall and 16 stone (224 pounds). I am overweight, but do lift weights and have quite a lot of muscle mass.

This twitching coincides with being extremely tired, as I have not slept properly for a few days. Sometimes when I am tired, I get a twitchy eyelid, although I have not had that for a while.

It may well be involuntary muscle spasms, brought on by several factors. I will report back when I have slept properly and feel refreshed, and see if the twitting has gone.

I have read about dystonia http://www.Dystonia-foundation.Org/defined / but I think that this is far too extreme a condition to apply to at least my own problem.
|

replied February 13th, 2006
I have recently developed this uncomfortable painful "under skin crawling" twitch. For lack of a better expression. It's on my upper back, which means I can't reach it. Nothing helps. I've even tried hot towel massage with deep heat rub. No joy!! I turned to the internet & discovered your article. You are niether crazy nor hallucinating!!! It's a real pain, as in very "physically" painful (if there's anything like that!) I am definitely going to seek medical advice. I suggest you do the same! Before it's too late. But, I found some articles like this one. When I find the others, i'll paste them. Good luck

|

replied February 13th, 2006
Some say its a condition called "morgellons disease". Whatever it is, it doesn't feel nice. See this other site which I just found on the internet.

Http://www.Safesolutionsinc.Com/morgellons .Htm
|

replied February 14th, 2006
Twitching Skin
I found that my twitching conditions appear to be stress and sleep related (the lack of), and all symptoms have now gone away.

In my opinion, many of us are experiencing the same sensation, but it is for different reasons. It would be easy for us to self diagnose based upon various ideas and suggestions, but the most sensible thing to do is to speak to your doctor or physician.

I hope that you all can get it sorted, as no one really wants to feel like a living ant's nest!
|

replied February 14th, 2006
I get this quite a lot and have done for a couple of years. I think anxiety sufferers notice it more though. I get paranoid about my physical condition and therefore notice stuff like this when it happens. Nothing to worry about though
|

replied May 13th, 2006
Hi
I'm really glad i'm not alone with these symptoms. I'm new around here, and i've been having the "twitching blood vessel" symptoms that you guys have been describing for quite awhile. First of all, I should note that I use to get this sensation in my left leg all the time for several years. But, recently, for the past year or so, I began getting it with the artery on the right side of my forehead. It was usually quite painless, but the twitching could almost seem to be violent sometimes. It got to the point where I was scared out of my mind, as I didn't know what was going on.

To make matters worse, every time I put "pulsing veins" or "throbbing veins" (which I don't think are accurate descriptions of what was going on but I didn't know how else to put it) into the internet search engine, the first thing that came up was "aneurysm". Not being medically educated, I began to freak out, even though I wasn't having any of the symptoms normally associated with aneurysms (severe headaches, dizziness, dilated pupils, fainting, etc.). Furthermore, I called in to my local hospital and spoke with an over-the-phone diagnosis center, and their computers couldn't find anything about my symptoms.

That's when the panic attacks set in. I began to get more nervous and terrified about what could be happening to me, and subsequently had bouts of severe chest pain, shortness of breath that my asthma inhaler didn't do anything for, and the "twitching" in my blood vessels only got worse, and then began happening in random places all over my body, though they were still painless. That one on the side of my forehead was still the worst, and the one that twitched most frequently.

Eventually, I checked myself into the er (where the doctor told my that my heart attack-like symptoms were due to anxiety attacks), and had a subsequent visit to my doctor, and I was reassured that whatever was going on wasn't likely to be something life threatening like an aneurysm (an aneurysm, I then learned, wouldn't "twitch" in brief bouts like that, and would keep on ballooning until it did damage; it would also only be dangerous if it was on the inside of my skull). They still didn't seem to know exactly what was going on, but my doctor suspected that it may have been connected to anxiety problems, as the "twitching" got worse whenever I had a panic attack.

Right now, i'm on an anxiety medication called seroquel, and while the "twitching" still occurs, and i'm still in the dark about what's causing it, it hasn't happened anywhere near as often as when I was in a state of panic over it all.

Edit: why is it posting some capital letters in my message in lower case form and then not letting me edit them?
|
Users who thank Zigra for this post: ayn39 

replied November 6th, 2006
I Dont Know Either
Hi my name is shawn and I have been noticing some of the same symptoms. I get them through out my whole body and it makes me nervous that it could be something serious. I first started to get them in my temples, I went to the hospital and they did a cat scan and came back negative for a brain tumor or any mass. Here in the last couple of months they have been getting worse and I get to where I cant concentrate on anything. I went back to the doctor through the military and they told me it was just stress, but I dont know. I get them alot in my upper right chest in the peck region like a involuntary twitch and throught my face neck and legs. I have had blood tests which all came back negative. Im just afraid that something is wrong with me........What should I do? All the twitching is painless just a feeling of comfortness is what bothers me.
|

replied November 7th, 2006
Hi there everyone,

i cant believe there are so many people out there with the same symptoms I have.

It only started with me about 3 months ago in my left eyebrow, I have had it before but not for a lengthy period so I just thought it would go away as it had done before. My eyebrow twitches so much thats it is visible to others, the twitching also seems to be behind my eye.

About a week ago I had the same twitching but this time in my left upper arm, again its so erratic that you can actually see my clothes moving, it just feels like all the small veins are having a salsa lesson!!!. Havent had them both twitching at the same time thank goodness, but would just love to know what causes it!!!!!
|

replied February 21st, 2012
Wow..we have it at very similar place..i am scared...mine started at d end of january ds year ...i have told many doctors and dey all say dey do no know...i am confused..do u stil hv d movements..pls i need a response...plsssss...am very afraid....
|

replied November 16th, 2006
So I'm Not Alone.
Well this is a relief. I've finally found some people who are showing the same symptoms.

I couldn't find squat on this. So i'll be talking to my doctor on the next physical.

Sadly our illiterate doctor here is horribly misinformed.

Morgellons symptoms are nothing like this either. Their symptoms range from itchiness, to sweating black liquid, to strange colored fibers growing out of the infectee. There's a lot of skepticism that this disease is all in the minds of the victims. But ask the 5400 house holds in the us that claim they have it. I personally would be getting my self in a lab to be examined if I had things like that growing out of me. But perhaps it's not as easy as I think it is to get a research team set up.

I've done a whole lot searching on worms and I can't find any thing except for guinea worms that are like this.

The most common worms of north america migrate in their larval state when they're real small. When they get to a good spot they encyst and feed off nutrients for years. They give off nearly no symptoms until they die. When they die they contaminate the tissue around them and the immune system destroys them and the contaminated tissue.

This does more damage then the actual worm. The worm it's self goes to great lengths not to be noticed by the immune system.
The purpose of encysting is to lengthen their life spans in hopes they'll be eaten by say a wolf.
Shielding themselves in mucous they survive the stomach acids and hit the intestines where they go into their next life cycle. Where either they mate with a female and die. Or they're a female and lay eggs and can live in the intestines for a few years. But can lay millions of eggs. The eggs go off with the feces and if stepped on they'll hatch and burrow their way into their next host. Where they travel to a good spot. Encyst and the cycle repeats.

They're extremely small when they travel.

Guinea worms are the only worm i've found that give any thing close to these symptoms.

But if you look them up you'll find they're in africa and in pretty remote areas. The chances of guinea worms getting over here are real limited.
Also they burrow their way out of the host eventually to lay their eggs in water. They grow up to like 3 feet long and i've yet to find any reports of them migrating here.
The people who are infected are sooo poor and in such remote areas that the chances of getting out of the country are real real small.
Not to mention the only way you can get infected is by drinking or bathing in infected water.

So even if some one did come over here with a guinea worm. The only way some one could get it from them would be to go swimming with them.

Not to many people would go swimming with some one who has a 3 foot worm dangling out of them.

It can take months to actually pull the worm out.

So that rules out guinea worms for a few of you guys because you've had it for years. The guinea worm life cycle is only a year until they burrow out.

Anyway....

I have no idea what we're experiencing.

I believe it's to do with stress though.

I've been dealing with it for about 8 months now. When it started I was dealing with a family member dying. After that my life just seemed to go to hell and a lot of other horrible things happened.

They're more frequent now then they were then but there's also been a lot more on my mind.

My symptoms are painless. So that made it all the harder to find others. Most people who report skin crawling have itchiness rashes lesions.

I don't my skin pulses up and down. Some times it pulses just once. Some times up to a minute. Another thing I notice is that they tend to be nocturnal. They don't like light. Say if I roll my sleeve up to look at it it'll stop. It's almost like a game to catch it in the act.
Maybe if we all hit the tanning beds it'll screw them right up? I might give that a try.

The pulses do look like worms though. So that triggered me to investigate worms. Hence all the worm info above.
They range in lengths from 1 inch to 7 inches. To maybe half an inch wide.

I've yet to find any thing besides here that reports of any thing like this. The closest was guinea worms.

I'll be going for my physical soon and having read this forum it gives me more reassurance that this isn't all in my head. After reading about morgellons and how people were treated who thought they had it. It worried me that I might be treated as delusional as well. Maybe I still am. But if there's others who are experiencing it i'll go seek answers the best I can.

I'll try to the best of my ability to eliminate the physical possibilities of this. I can deal with my anxiety on my own. But if this isn't a physical problem. Perhaps it is a sign that I can't deal with my anxiety on my own.

If I come up with any thing i'll be posting it here and if any one comes up with any thing or just wants to talk to some one about it. Don't hesitate to contact me. I know that I can't seem to talk to any of my friends about this for support.
|

replied May 31st, 2007
This Is Wierd.
I have had these symptoms for a year but, they only occur sporadicly. They happened in my leg, shoulder, forearm, and neck arteries. I've noticed that while my heart beats softer, my pulse skyrockets but is very hard to feel. I also have neck muscle spasms, i don't know if they are related. If there is a doctor who knows about this please post.
|

replied July 30th, 2007
Crawling Under Skin
I am glad I am not alone. I was thinking I might be going crazy.
I feel as if I have a roach or fly walking on my skin, mostly my legs.
At times I feel as if there is a loose vein in my head, sort of like a loose water holes. The crawling on my legs has been happening for approx. 3 weeks and it has been very disturbing. Any one with advise...has any one seen a doctor yet that has offered some hints as to what might cause this?

Thank you and feel better to all.
|

replied August 23rd, 2007
What a Relief!
What can be more frustrating than a paranoid person who is very concerned about his health, being unable to find information on the symptoms of what he thinks is a potentially life threatening disease. Thats me! - I am now convinced that I am perfectly fine. The vivid descriptions I have read tell me that the condition is not very popular, neither is it rare. All of us are probably under intense pressure, not taking vitamins, not exercising regularly or just too worried about our health. So, the verdict is out - if your veins tremble violently and your face involuntarily shakes and tightens or your legs just start jumping without your permission; you are probably tired, stressed or needing some exercise.

I am certainly gonna buy vitamins and start an exercise program and while I would really like to have more knowledge on the science behind this, it is much more comforting to know that I am not a loner.

We should probably start a support group for all persons with the "Twitching Problem" ....lol
|
Tags: skin
Quick Reply