Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Heart Palpitations

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I am wondering if anyone in the world has this? I feel like I am the only one! I am a very nervous person. I was a severe hypochondriac for a long time and now I am a lot better, but every now and then I get uptight about my health.
Anyways, there are times when I am at the mall or in a store and if it is too crowded and overstimulating, I get really hot and then my heart starts palpitating. It feels like it stops for a second and then starts again. It is a hard strong beat after the feeling that it stops. I have been to the doctor for this and I had an ekg done in his office and wore a halter monitor for 24 hours and they said everything was fine thank god. In the meantime I need to know then is this stress related? I get so scared because I am only 24 and I have a 3 year old daughter. Does anyone else ever get this? Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper purple333
|

replied December 23rd, 2003
Extremely eHealthy
Yes, dear I have this too. It is stress related. Are you on any medication for social anxiety disorder? If not, you should talk to your doctor about it. Your heart will feel like that when you have an anxiety attack.
|

replied December 24th, 2003
Experienced User
Palpitations....
I am not on social anxiety meds. I wanted to try and conquer this myself. I don't get it all the time, but like I said before when I get real hot and I am in busy crowds it starts up. I get stressed so easily! I am so glad to hear I am not alone! I also sometimes get it when I clean my house. Not always, but there have been times I did. Thank you for replying!
|

Extremely eHealthy
Yes, I get exactly the same sort of thing, I agree best to try to deal without meds especially given your age, your child's age & the fact that the attacks don't happen constantly.

Advice, try to be organized before you go out & do not try to do too much or too fast. Take it slow & easy (be it shopping or housework) if you don't get something done that day it can wait, therre really isn't much that's life threateningly urgent & if it is - simple, do it first!!

If you can try & have a cool drink with you at all times, or get one as soon as you feel an attack coming on, then as soon as you can get to a seat, sit & take some deep breathes & have a cool drink. If you can try not to go to the mall alone with your daughter as being alone with her may make you more uptight & it may make being able to sit right when you need to harder!!
|

Experienced User
Palpitation Attacks
Thank you all who have replied! I feel so much better knowing I am not dying or suffering from some heart condition! It is much harder to go shopping and deal with crowds when I am alone with my daughter. I feel so stressed and then her whining or wanting to stop every 5 seconds makes me so uptight. It makes me feel bad cause I get short with her and rush her and that makes my palpitations worse! Ugh! It is terrible! I love my little girl so I will take the tips you all have given me and absolutely try them! God bless you all and have a happy holiday!
|

replied July 3rd, 2005
Experienced User
=)
|

replied August 5th, 2011
It is good to know I am not alone> i felt like I was going crazy> my heart felt like it was stopping and pulsing so fast. Felt shaky and my body was so fearful that I thought i was gonna die. i also am a very nervous person and have been most of my life. i am now 50 and hope i can control this soon as it is controlling me. i also have had ean ecg and blood test and nothing has shown up. so am to have 24hr halter on me.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Arvind Malhotra
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski