Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

Marijuana Withdrawal? (Page 1)

Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....
Hello everyone, I just signed up to these forums...I was a daily pot smoker for the past 4 years and I truly feel I dug myself into a hole, I ended up doing plenty of other drugs ranging from meskaline to lsd to cocaine. I haven't touched anything but weed for a couple months though, and just recently (4 days ago) I decided to give up smoking weed for my health and to save more money.

However, since then, i've been having what I can only expect to be severe withdrawal symptoms. I don't feel sad, but I just don't feel myself. I anaylyze every little ache in my body, I constantly worry about my mental health, I just feel really anxious. I've been staying around the house mostly and I notice i've become very withdrawn, not willing to talk a lot at all. But what scares me most is thoughts of suicide invade my mind.

Now, I have no intentions of killing myself, especially not now that i'm on the road to recovery. I'm by no means suicidal. I find it extremely frightening though that these thoughts come to me, and all I can do is chalk it up to anxiety. I guess i'm just looking to see if anyone has gone through the same thing? Anybody abruptly quit smoking weed after daily use and end up completely down? Is it normal? How long will it last?

Hoping for your support and knowledge,
absolutin it
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Absolutin It
|
Users who thank Absolutin It for this post: anon89 

User Profile
replied February 2nd, 2006
Experienced User
I smoked for awhile too my boyfriend an I and when I stop I don't seem to have any withdraws someone told me that you cannot get addicted to weed I dont know I believe it though
|

replied July 11th, 2011
I believe I'm going through the same thing. Ih ave ver weirs thoughts and they scare the crap out of me. I wish to know how long it will last too!
|

replied September 25th, 2012
actually, u cannot get addicted to marijuana because there isnt anything addictive in it, but u can get addicted to the high... if someone likes the high they get from weed than they will convince themselves they are addicted to it, but really its just the high ur addicted to...
|

replied February 8th, 2006
Yes Dude You Are Right
Hello i'm gonzalo and i've been a pot smoker for many years, and man, you are not wrong, withdrawal symptoms are true, I did lsd, cocaine, mescaline, heroin. Ectasis and many more becuz of the pot, since a year and a half I only smoke pot, and since only four days I havent smoke it and I feel completly bad.

The people who dont feel withdrawal symptoms are just becuz they dont smoke enough as we do, but on this four days clean I have come trough a very hard anxiety, very weird dreams (when I sleep), and I just have four days without smoking!, I dont know what to do, today is my fourth day, and I feel bad, nervous, restlessness ,non sleeping nights, depression, and very anger dont know against what, but I just feel like that. I cant say that I will not smoke again, but I have the will to not do it, if I relapse i´ll try again and again, but dude, you are not wrong, the symptoms are true.
|

replied May 22nd, 2006
Experienced User
I don't feel like I have any withdrawl symptoms and neither does my boyfriend. We both have health issues we are dealing with and trying to be healthy :d

other than a little headache I seem to be fine.

Good luck to you :!:
|

replied May 26th, 2006
Help Am I Dying?
Help!!!!!!!!!

I have been smoking weed for the past two years everyday allday and about 5 days ago I just stopped. Now here comes the bad part. I never thought you can go through withdrawl from weed but I was wrong. I cant eat anything, I cant have a bowel movement (when I was smoking would have a bowel movement every morning) , I keep throwing up this yellow looking stuff, feel very exausted at times, get the chills, and feel bloated in my stomach. Before I stopped smoking everything was fine but when I stopped thats when all this started happening. I cant give my wife and my kids the attention they need because i'm feeling so sick. Now after the first two days it then clicked in my head I was going through withdrawl. I was smoking a ounce of weed every 2-3 weeks by myself(i'm the only one who skoes in my household). Shouldn't this withdrawl be over with by now? Although I stopped smoking the 3rd day of these symptoms were so bad that I called my weed man and instead of getting the usual ounce I only bought a quarter of an ounce but I didn't smoke it. I only bought it because I was thinking if the pain is going to be this bad maybe I need to smoke a little to ease the pain because maybe my body needed it. But I still have it on the shelf. I find myself now sleeping most of the day away feeling sick and having a very very short temper. The funny part about it is that I dont have any desire to smoke the weed I have but why am I feeling like this. Please someone how long is this going to last????????????
|

User Profile
replied November 10th, 2011
Im going thru exact same problem!!!! i couldnt have a bowel movement for 6days and went to ER, they gave me xray, said im fine, and an enema and that was almost 2 weeks ago, still cant go without laxatives and im very scared, people were telling me this isnt from weed but yes it is! i smoked 13 yrs straight, 2x daily and had a movement every morning, did u get any help?? somebody help!!!
|

replied May 27th, 2006
Any suggestions
|

replied June 2nd, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
It takes alot more than 3 days to withdrawl from drugs of anykind. Mj for sure will take at least 2 or more weeks. Cigaretts are about 3 days for the nicotine but shoot man, it is a daily challenge to stay away.

You will get better each day as far as the sickness and general flu feeling goes, you will crave for a long time. It is will power that will get you through.

Good luck,
brian
|

replied June 22nd, 2006
Marijuana Addiction
U are all so rite...I stopped smoking about 3 days ago I think and right now I feel so sick! I feel so nauseous, restless, irritable, headache, stomach pains and I have the chills...I am so freaking out that I am almost thinking of going to get more to end this turmoil...Ok so I know there are worse things and that this is my own fault but I never thought it would be this hard...Ive been smoking for about 5 years and I dont think I would have ever started if I knew back then. If anyone else can think of ways to stop this crap, please let me know xox :(
|

replied June 22nd, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
You are the only one that can stay the course. If you keep the fight going, it will end in a few more days. If you end up needing to get some more to help with the withdrawl symptoms, please don't get more than maybe one joints worth. It will help with the symptoms but it will not help with your being totally clear of the thc.

No one says you have to go cold turkey except you, if you cannot make it cold turkey and you decide to go back it will not get better for you and it will become harder to quit the next time. Do yourself a favor and taper or titrate your use down to a point where you are not jonsing so much and then you can stop but you cannot just go from smoking a nickle or dime or more a day to nothing and not expect of suffer some pretty severe withdrawl.

Chin up, you can do this, you choose the way and then stick it out.

Good luck,
brian
|

replied November 7th, 2006
Seriously, I think u are fine. I smoked for a very long time and then just quit, actually very recently, about 2 months ago. At first I didnt really feel "right." but when you think about it, its just that space of time that you were doing it and now you arnt. Well thats how it was for me anyway. But I didnt have any other symptoms except that I was kind of bored. But if you have questions that cant be answered here, I would seriously go to he doctor. They cant do anything to you except give you advice and answers to your questions. Everything you say to them is completely confidential, no matter what! Just something to keep in mind. And also, if you dont want your primary doctor to know this about you, go to a different one of a one time only kind of thing.

Hope this helps.
|

replied November 8th, 2006
Experienced User
The withdrawl symptoms are just or almost the same as nictoine withdrawl symptoms. They are mostly mental, and even if you do go through about 5 days of feeling bad, look at the gain of your freedom when you come through.

I would suggest two things. Dont be a wussy. Yeah, that is right a wussy. So what if you cant sleep a few nights well, or you get strange dreams, and have some mystery aches. Thing of the long term gains you will get once you quit. Plus, when we are stressed we all get strange dreams, and if we want can worry ourselves into having mystery aches etc.

Next, it is all mental. Your withdrawl symptoms are mostly in your head. You should think of these things as good feelings. The feeling of that monkey on your back dying little by little. You should enjoy that you are on your way to freedom. You should not be looking at it as a sacrifice, or doom or gloom. Your stresses are in your head, and it is something that should not be seen as a bad thing. You made a decision to quit, not be happy with that decision. Letting the withdrawl symptoms be a negative thing is giving into the monkey on your back. You might feel a void, because you have given up a regular activity, but that will be quickly filled with other more healthy pleasures and past times.

To end, the feelings you have should be seen as a good thing. It is your body overcoming the monkey on your back. Next, remeber that we all have strange dreams, lack of sleep, etc when we are stressed out. Lastly, most of these withdrawl symptoms are just in your head. They are not real. That is why a number of people said they felt no real withdrawl symptoms.

Good luck, enjoy life, and enjoy the next few days.
|

replied July 11th, 2011
you obviously dont have a clue. if you smoke the chronic and by that i mean the really strong weed. your symptoms will be insomnia, headaches and mood swings. dont tell someone its in there head because you have no clue, your just going off of what you have been told
|

replied April 26th, 2012
Makoto the Loser!
Well for starters I'd like to say that Makoto is a Loser! I have to agree with billy on this one. I quit smoking bud over a month ago and have had horrible withdrawals! I've never had withdrawals from marijuana before, it seemed odd, but the bud I was smoking was very strong stuff, and my habit was consistent. Besides that marijuana has evolved to become hundreds of times more potent over the years. I was extremely tired for 3 weeks. When I say tired, I mean the worst exhaustion imaginable! I would sleep 8 hours only to wake up feeling like I hadnt slept in weeks! So tired it was painful really. Then serious stomach problems. I've been sick to my stomach for a week now, still feel tired but not as bad as before. No headaches, but horrible pain in my legs. Also, dizzy, nauseous feeling that doesnt go away. I was so weak for the last month I couldnt even move! I've been glued to a chair or my bed sleeping 15 hours a day because I'm constantly tired. The withdrawals arent as bad as from opiates, but they are still annoying at best. My withdrawals from opiates were worse than anything you could ever imagine, I wouldnt wish it upon anyone! When I quit opiates it felt like machetes were shredding apart my insides, my immune system completely shutdown and I developed life threatening infections. This is due to the lack of endorphins, which medical science is just starting to understand its true role in our health. No endorphins = severe pain and NO Immune system! You can die! As for Makoto, NO, nicotine withdrawal is not as bad as from bud! You dont know jack obviously! Marijuana acts upon norepinephrine, serotonin, and some mild opiate receptor responses, while nicotine acts upon acetylcholine receptors. The body cannot tell the difference between acetylcholine and nicotine, they function the same, and as far as the human body is concerned, they are the same thing! When you quit smoking ciggs, the withdrawals are from the lack of acetylcholine since your body has quit producing as much as it normally needs from cigarette use. It really annoys me when Losers like Makoto who obviously arent educated make comments about things they know nothing about. Im a college educated computer scientist, what are you? A nobody! Exactly. We are taught in college to be critical thinkers and not to take anything at face value. Learn to think before you speak, otherwise no one will ever respect you. This is a fact, learn it!
|

replied July 18th, 2013
Makoto, when you smoke weed, is it all mental? No, it affects you physically as well, inducing appetite, feeling sleepy, relief from pain etc. Also whatever affects you mentally, also comes with physical side effects, why would cannabis be the only drug to effect you exclusively in a mental way only? whatever changes the chemistry in your brain, will change the chemistry in your body, remember the brain controls the body, they are not separate. Thus when you stop the drug, physical withrawal as well as mental withdrawal takes place. There is no such thing as only mental, and you don't 'let' withdrawals be a negative thing, they are a negative consequence of your body re-adjusting itself. Not everyone experiences them because they aren't as consistent with its use, and potency plays a role as well.
|

User Profile
replied November 29th, 2006
Experienced User
You'll get over it. That doesn't sound like "severe" withdrawl symtoms to me. Watch a heroin addict go through withdrawls, that is severe withdrawls. I smoked pot in highschool and when I quit I got the same symtoms. It's no big deal, just don't try to drink to get rid of the feeling or you'll end up just switching addictions.

Sounds like you did a good thing by quiting, stick with it and you'll be on your way to a better life. Potheads are idiots, you are one step closer to having a brain.
|

replied February 8th, 2007
I don't think anyone can get addicted or have withdrawls from weed. Unless, you try really hard.
|

replied August 7th, 2011
I think there are withdrawals, but very minor, not half as much as these people are saying. If you are a heavy user and you quite, you will notice a different. Ive been out for two day and I'm cranky as hell, but in all honesty it's just boredom and habit. Weed is the chew toy that keeps us dogs from going crazy in our small kennels. If you're having problems without marijuana it's because your life sucks, which is probably why your using marijuana in the first place.
Also I bet any of you would flip out a thousand times worst if you gave up your internet connections.
|

replied October 30th, 2012
That is seriously the most ignorant comment I have ever heard!
|

replied February 9th, 2007
I have been a frequent drug user for 6 years. As someone who has stopped smokign and seen many people stop smoking weed, there are no physical withdrawal symptoms. The only one I have ever seen or heard of is a reduced appitite. There are no phyiscal withdrawals, because there is nothing that makes you physically addicted to pot.
Mentally, you are breaking a habit so you may have some withdrawal style thoughts. Find other things to do and bring yourself away from places you would normally smoke. If you're really struggling, try keeping a journal. It emptys your head and makes it easier for you to focus on other things.
Good luck.
|

replied August 19th, 2011
Not true. You're right that there is no physical or chemical addiction. But there can be a physical dependence and the lack of the drug can create a imbalance in the body, which can cause physical symptoms. They are similar to a mild flu, not to big of a deal but can manifest is some (not all) people for usually a week to 10 days but can last up to a month.
|

replied May 30th, 2007
Marijuana Addiction
I have been smoking for about 4 years, at varying levels. There are times when I would smoke every day for a few months, then not more than once a week. But I think that once a week was my minimum. If I didn't smoke for more than that, I would start freaking out.

I haven't smoked in 2 or 3 weeks, and I am not having any severe physical withdrawal symptoms, but the mental stuff is difficult. I too have found frightening thoughts of suicide crossing my mind-- but they are not dangerous, just scary. I am bored and spend most of my time in my apartment.

Physically the only problem I've been having is fairly persistent headaches. I hope they go away. I also hope that I can recover the things that I wanted to by not smoking anymore -- being less socially paranoid (although this is not entirely the fault of marijuana), and having more energy for positive action.

I don't want to walk down the road of drugs anymore. Since I became enamored of marijuana I have tried many drugs, trying to "expand my consciousness"-- DXM, acid, ecstasy, coke, mushrooms. In the end I just wanted more drugs. I imagined myself doing heroine one day, and that scared me. So I said enough, and here I am, with pretty significant depression and headaches-- but that's it.
|

replied June 3rd, 2007
Mj Withdrawal Is True
K so for whoever says you dont get withdrawal symptoms from pot .. well that depends on a lot of things from what I observed about myself.. I have a very addictive personality in general..... i play guitar 8 hours a day when my arm doesnt act up and i used to surf full time and used to just sk8 all day and then when i started smoking pot I would smoke like a dime a day sometimes double depending on who i was with or w/e.. and one day i had a sore throat and stuff and was worried(a bit too paranoid lol) of cancer which i went to the doc for and it turned out to be an irritated throat form all the coughing..(gettin rid of junk in lungs) anyway so it freaked me out b/c a cancer commercial came on with this lady who had a sore throat taht turned out to be cancer. anyway I went cold turky and drove home to finish my stash b/c it was chronic and i finished it that night and morning threw away my bowl etc.. and since then I have had some serious withdrawal symptoms.. I cant sleep well at all... Im jittery and my Head is pounding off and on... So i firmly believe its all about personality b/c my friend smokes as much as me and he just went cold turky and had no symptoms .. however he lives pretty normally.. unlike me the extremist.. but yah its been 4 days of withdrawal symptoms but they are lightening up.. plus i decided I need health so i started running skating etc a lot which I havnt done in months so that probly is making me detox faster aka more withdrawal symptoms.
|

replied June 10th, 2007
i have smoked weed for along time and withdrawals happen.it has been a week and i have quit.if you drink alcohol you will get the urge to smoke.i have quit in the past one time for 2 years and i went back.if you are an everyday user and quit you cannot go back and say i will controll it and smoke say once a week.the cronic will get you back to your everyday habit.live with the withdrawals for up to 4 or5 weeks or less depending on the individual.believe or not but a good laxitive will help.also jesus christ is my way of helping during the withdrawal.people who dont experience withdrawals are not heavy chronic users.this time i am staying off god bless you all remember dont go back.once you are full time chronic user you can;t go part time
|

replied June 14th, 2007
I used to smoke 5 or 6 times a day; if I was awake, I was high. Anyway, after several years like that, when I did finally cut back significantly, I went through 3 or 4 months of withdrawal. It involved feeling anxious, restless, agitated, irritable, unable to sleep. Eventually the effects subsided. I think it was mostly psychological/emotional.
|

replied June 25th, 2007
Withdrawing
Withdrawing really sux, I have smoked for about 10 years, but every day for the last 7. I never thought that I would get withdrawal symptoms this bad as I only smoked in the evenings and weekends about 2/3 joints a night. Reading other peoples experiences is really helping my determination to stop, although its odd how some people dont have any phisical problems. Not sleeping is by far the worst for me, I want to tear my skin off in the middle of the night and feel angry and aggitated, probobly because my body has been used to using mostly in the evenings. I think that stopping drinking has made it worse as my evening joints were also washed down with an accompaying beer. I felt I had to stop the drinking to give me the best chance to quit the weed. anyway thats my little blog done and off my chest, good luck to all readers, I hope you make it.
|

replied August 4th, 2007
Addiction to Pot And Withdrawal
I am going through this the third time, I smoked pot daily for years. I only cut down (from 2 joints a day to 1/2) and am feeling like I am dying. I don't know if I should quit cold turkey like last time or cut down to ease the pain. I have nausea, headache, feel week and tired and restless, sweaty and get hot flashes and chills. I feel like I am getting the flu. Nobody can tell me it is not addictive, I am so sick I can't take care of my child. I don't crave it anymore, I just feel so sick. I woke up at night about 20 times and had to vomit. Anybody have any good suggestions? I don't wont to feel crappy for the next few weeks.
|
Quick Reply