Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Do You Smell Smoke??? (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Hi, i've got a weird one for you...

I'm a nineteen yr old female n as far as I know healthy with a few knee/joint/iron problems but recently i've been having problems breathing like i'm always short of breath wanting to ghasp for more. I can constantly smell smoke (i dont smoke and 2 my knowledge nothings burning around me). I have however, in the past seen something on it being bad if you constantly smell smoke but I just can't remember what they were saying.

The other thing is I constantly feel tired, sometimes dizzy, blurred vision and a little (of late) forgetful. Not short-term but more of things in the past like previous memories others (family/friends) can recall a whole story of what happened but huge gaps are missing for me...Its a lil embarrassing.

My mums putting it down to stress at work ..But I dont feel that stressed. I just hope its something small I can fix but the docs hav gotten so pricey of late so i'm also hoping someone out there has experienced the same problems and could help.

Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper imdoc
|

replied January 8th, 2006
Experienced User
Hi there,

i`m not in exactly the same situation but anxiety can cause a lot of weird symptoms. Some are included in what u have mentioned. I had a sensation when I was ill that I could taste a metal taste in my mouth and I could smell weird smells, all were non-existent except to me. I was in hospital and they told me that when you are stressed or panicing it makes the electrolites in your body go a bit crazy causing the metal taste.

The only other thing I was tested for was a type of epilepsy its not your regular type where you have fits, I think its in your frontal lobes and can cause various feelings including tastes and smells. There is only a small chance it may be that and I don`t think its too serious you just need medication to control it. I would visit the doctor to ease my mind.

Good luck
debs
|

replied February 1st, 2006
Smell Smoke!
Wow! I did a google search looking for anything about smelling smoke when none was there and found this posting! Glad to know i'm not the only one. Mine just started a few days ago. I've been under a bunch of stress in the last few days. I'm also diabetic, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it (i did have blurred vision and feelings of being tired before I got on meds for the diabetes. You might want to go to a doc and have that checked out as a possibility. I never imagined I might have diabetes, but I do. Spent about a year being woozy and feeling tired and felt much better after I got on a med (metformin). But the smelling smoke thing is new for me as of the last few days. I'll post again if it goes away. Thanks
|

replied February 8th, 2006
I believe an evaluation by a physician is imperative for you. Olfactory (sense of smell) hallucinations, blurred vision, etc are certainly not normal and should not be assumed to be the result of stress until other potential causes are ruled out.
|

replied August 8th, 2008
Smelling an odd smell
I've been smelling an odd smell on and off for the last eight years. I'm not quite sure what it smell like, maybe smoke a little. It usually comes on once a month or once every two months and sometimes it will last for a few hours or sometimes a few days. It's very annoying. I don't have any sinus pain, maybe just a little bit of a runny nose. I've read other places where sometimes this could be related to epilepsy, but I'm pretty darn sure I'm not having seizures. Does anyone have any insight?
|

replied August 13th, 2008
Smell Smoke
About a month or so ago I too started to experience a smoke smell when in the basement. I had other people smell it but could not smell anything. It sometimes gets so bad that I feel it in my throat and eyes just like when you are in a very smoky room. It then started to be in other places as well, the car, the living room and the kitchen.

For the last three days as well as smelling the smoke I smell sweat to the point that it makes my stomache sick. I've come straight out of the shower and can smell it. Once again I've checked with my husband but he claims only to smell my perfume.

For the past few months I have been on Novo-Venlafaxine XR, not so much for depression but for hot flashes (instead of Hormone replacements).

I have also been dieting and have last over 80 pounds.

This is something that is really starting to bother me. I just wondered if anyone followed up and did visit their Doctor and if so what was the result? Did they do any tests and if so what?

Any information would be most appreciated.

Cheers
|

replied August 24th, 2008
smells smoke
Hi you will not belive this but myself have been having the same odd burning smell out of nowhere,. it started a few days ago and the only explainton that we can find is major stress or unresolved issues going on in life,. i myself am 29 years old,. im 22 weeks pregnant i cant get health care at the moment due to my still soon to be ex not paying his lawyer for our divorce to go trough so i can remarry to the love of my life befor he deployes back to iraq in april,. all i can say is that i think it just maybe due to stress in your enviroment because im pregnant im not on any medications or such so unless something happens to change and the doctors think that it goes a bit futher than that its just a odd smell out of nowhere ,.... thanks to the one that posted this it is the only place i found for anything of this nature Wink
|

replied September 28th, 2008
smelling smoke all the time
I have been smelling smoke for about two years or more now. Not sure why but at one time I had read of a condition that was caused by seizures or brain tumors. Because I no longer have health insurance I can't get a doctor to see me, because I have been unemployed for 2 1/2 years. Now, I am wondering if stress is causing these attacks. I will have to wait atleast two years to be eligible for medicaid, but I need help now, is there any clinics that treat people with these types of symptoms in Michigan?? I hate smoke and can't stand to be around people who smoke as I have never smoked. It is a curse to have to smell this all the time. The last physical I had showed no health problems -- blood pressure --very good low cholestrol--no signs of diabeties-- stress test good normal -- but I am heavy but it has no affect the Doctors said which surprised them..that was May 25, 2005 then a month later the business I worked for closed...and I haven't worked full time job since.....no jobs out there in my field...this is why I am thinking STRESS? Any Help or ideas Welcome
|

User Profile
replied November 5th, 2008
The strange things our minds can do. I smell smoke when I am getting a migraine. Could that be related?
|

replied December 15th, 2008
smell it every so often
Found this forum when i started smelling smoke all of a sudden, early in the morning, looking for a reason maybe. It happened before but i was the only one to smell it in a room with six others. This time it was different the smell was so strong that it hurt my throat a bit. I looked for a source to the smell but there was nothing. After ten minutes it was gone as if it wasn't there. I always thought it was just me who smelled mystery smoke, but i guess not. At least i know there could be a reason for it.
|

replied December 15th, 2008
Experienced User
All those symptoms point to anemia. If you're constantly taking medication for stomach acid (caused by stress), you might not be absorbing nutrients. Coincidentally enough, the time I had the worst case of anemia was when my anxiety was most severe. It affected my eating habits. Start taking some vitamins and see how you feel. B vitamins and iron are the best for both energy and stress.
|

replied September 9th, 2009
Tasting smoke and a running nose
I donot smell smoke, but for the past couple of days I have been tasting smoke .. Don't ask me how .. but its just a weird taste of smoke on my tongue - so strong that I cannot sleep if the taste is on. Also, I have been simultaneously having a running nose, so that mucous just runs down my nostril without me even knowing about it or being prepared. It is a very smelly mucous and makes me nautious. Any advise will do as to what I am going through.
|

replied September 9th, 2009
Experienced User
Avrlip26- you probably have a cold or sinus infection.
|

replied October 21st, 2009
Smelling Smoke
I have been smelling smoke for a little more than 2 weeks. About the same time my headaches started and about the same time my mid-terms started. So, to say it's stress related would make sense. However, I have been stressed like this before and never smelled smoke. It smells like there is smoke in the room and it burns my eyes and throat too. It's not cigarette smoke though, it's more like wood burning. About the same time I started smelling it a home burned near mine and I thought that was the cause, but then I smell at school, on the bus, in the shower, etc... I have an appointment with my physician next week. I will bookmark this forum and post the results so hopefully I will be able to shed some light on this great mystery. In the meantime, good luck!
|

replied October 22nd, 2009
Experienced User
Annie- migraine headaches can cause weird smells and tastes at any time, so hopefully it doesn't mean a tumor.
|

replied October 25th, 2009
smelling smoke
I have been smelling smoke for some time now.., and I just want it to go away.
|

replied November 4th, 2009
I have been smelling smoke every now and then. It is a nuisance. everybody is talking about stress and think we all are going through something now a days. If stress is it, then we need to let go and let God. Because I can't stand it.
|

replied November 9th, 2009
Smelling Smoke
I've been smelling smoke for about five days now. It started coincidently when my family and I were at a funeral home making final preparations for a grandmother who passed. The stress factor seems to fit perfectly, the smell has carried with me to my home, work, etc. I smell it everywhere now.
|

replied December 7th, 2009
What is the cause of this smell of smoke??
I smell smoke a lot, at first i thought it was someone secretly smoking in the house or something, after realizing it wasn't i tired to make some other connection to the times it would happen. Then i discovered it only happens when i am super tired. I always told myself that maybe it's just something in your brain that releases some chemical when you're tired and thats what made the smell, but now its really bothering me since i hate the smell of smoke and im just hopping its not something wrong with me. It feels better knowing that i'm not the only one who this happens too, so maybe it isnt some life threatening crap.
|

replied December 15th, 2009
I smell wood burning smoke continually. There is nothing I can do to get relief from this. Putting my hand over my mouth and nose helps temporarily. Sometimes it is so strong my throat starts to burn. If anyone has any answers, please help.
|