Medical Questions > Womens Health > Fertility Forum

How Long Does Sperm Live After It Comes Out? (Page 1)

Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
Im wondering this because a few weeks ago I had sex and I used a condom and im on birth control but I know its still possible to get pregnant and after we had sex he fingered me, but im not sure if he possibly had cum on his hands or not and if he did could that get me pregnant? I've been really stressed over this lately and im scared to take a test and ive felt really nauseas and tired lately and I change moods fast (i go from happy to sad and mad to happy back and forth like that through out the day randomly) I also havent gotten my period yet but im still not due for it for about another week or so but im really scared about it
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper wowwow
|

replied December 22nd, 2003
Extremely eHealthy
Well dont be so stressed about it. I think you are fine. Ive heard it can live up to 5 hours, 72 hours, or die right away. So im not sure what the real timing is but considering that you are on birth control, and you had a condom..The chances of him still having some on his hand to get it in you is highly unlikely. You should be ok. Your just stressing right now and that can take a toll on you. Just relax, dont worry and if your period is late, take a pregnancy test. Dont take one now, its too early, but take one in the morning if you are about 3 days late. Good luck!
|

replied November 24th, 2011
my boyfriend and i were messing around. we are both virgins. but is it possible to get pregnant if cum accidentally touched the outside of the vagina? like he didn't know he had it on his hand or something and touched my vagina? just want to make sure
|

Ya you're probably right, thanks
|

Extremely eHealthy
No prob. I know how stressing on that kinda thing can make you feel. I had that one time and I was puking and I would sleep alot and I missed a month on my period, I took a test and it was negative. Then like the next day my period came. It was pretty much all in my head and my stress. So thats what it might be for you. Just relax and keep your mind off of it, and youll be ok!
|

replied December 23rd, 2003
Experienced User
The truth is it can live up to three days! Do your research
|

replied April 22nd, 2011
can you get pregnant of you like actually take the semen and put it inside you?
|

Extremely eHealthy
Yeah if it is contained and stored! Hello, reality is if its sitting there on clothes or on the floor, it does dry up! You cant tell me its gonna be sitting there on some jeans and still be wet. I think not. I did look it up and have gotten many answers. But like my friend saturn said technically it can be at 72 hours, if stored and covered, but if left out to dry, and is flaky/crusted...Its dead.
|

Nikki, nobody said anything about sperm on jeans. I think the question was how long can sperm live on someone's hand.
|

Experienced User
Yeah, but it is the same thing. Unless someone cums on their hand and holds completely still and covers it up, it is going to dry up and die just as it would if it was on a pair of jeans!Lol!
I wouldn't worry about being pregnant from it. Because the truth is, he probably touched other things, or rubbed his hands together or something, so the sperm were probably dead.
And nikki is right: five hours(if not dried out yet) three days or 72 hours if stored air tight- 7 days if kept refrigerated and who knows how long frozen. Nikki did do her research!
|

Extremely eHealthy
Nikki and saturn are both right. I would not worry about it. Stressing yourself out will only make your period late!
|

replied November 28th, 2009
omg am I pregnant ?
hey guys! Ive been worried. About that too ... I hooked up with a guy in the movies and he came on his. Shirt so he used a napkin to dry it off and after drying his hands he started rubbing my shirt and leggings then put his. Fingers back into me .. I'm not sure if the sperm. Could. Have reacted and become alive again. When he. Put in me ! I'm a. 16 yr old virgin.. My moms the pastor of a church and she reps abstanence .... If she. Ever heard that I was preggoo she would kick me out of the house .... So here's the question to relieve my trama..
1. Can sperm get re-alive after its dried ?
2. If yu have yur virginity strip is intact but it might be stretchedd then can your chances. Be lessened of becoming pregnant??
3. As yu can see from my problem .... Do you. Think that I am pregnant... Its been one day and I'm feeling cramps so I'm not sure?
|

replied November 28th, 2009
hey guys! Ive been worried. About that too ... I hooked up with a guy in the movies and he came on his. Shirt so he used a napkin to dry it off and after drying his hands he started rubbing my shirt and leggings then put his. Fingers back into me .. I'm not sure if the sperm. Could. Have reacted and become alive again. When he. Put in me ! I'm a. 16 yr old virgin.. My moms the pastor of a church and she reps abstanence .... If she. Ever heard that I was preggoo she would kick me out of the house .... So here's the question to relieve my trama..
1. Can sperm get re-alive after its dried ?
2. If yu have yur virginity strip is intact but it might be stretchedd then can your chances. Be lessened of becoming pregnant??
3. As yu can see from my problem .... Do you. Think that I am pregnant... Its been one day and I'm feeling cramps so I'm not sure?
|

replied December 17th, 2009
sperm under the right conditions can live in the uterus UP TO 5 days, averaging 2-3 days because it is an alkaline environment. In the vagina only about 24 hours because of the acidic environment. Outside of the body only a few hours...
The scenarios that are posted by babies girl and cand123... it is HIGHLY unlikely that you are prego...
NO sperm can not come back to life thats just common sense right there...
|

replied January 6th, 2010
My girlfriend and I were messing around and I touched my penis but not sure if I got semen on my fingers. I wiped my fingers on the bed sheets and started to finger her. She has felt very light headed and we are both scared. Do you think she is pregnant?
|

replied January 8th, 2010
Especially eHealthy
Mxkid, It is not likely at all. Please be very careful in future.
|

replied January 9th, 2010
Thanks, but I feel relieved because she started her period today. This is a lesson learned!
|

User Profile
replied February 2nd, 2010
Could i be pregnate?
I had this problem too. My boyfriend may of had sperm on his fingers when he fingered me. But before he did, he wiped his hands with a towel and his hands were dry i think. And i have been having cramps lately. Im only 15 and im freaking out.
|

replied February 2nd, 2010
Especially eHealthy
Kori, It is not very likely that he could get enough sperm into your vagina after wiping his hands or that sperm would survive.

Do however be very very careful when playing
|

replied February 3rd, 2010
i am just 15 am freaking out bcoz sperms came after getting up in the sleep .
|

replied February 4th, 2010
ahh!
okay so i'm really scared about this too.
my boyfriend and i were messing around and i had touched his penis and i'm not sure if semen got on it.

i walked him outside to his car and then washed my hands really good, but after i masturbated.

i'm so scared that i may have had semen on my fingers still, and that i can get pregnant, someone please help!
|

replied March 14th, 2010
hw long semen alive on hands?
my boyfrnd semen came out in his hand, je wiped wit his kerchief and then he touched my hands at all, after half an hour he fingered me....
if d sperms wil b alive and some thing will happen? i m afraid... im at ovulaion period.....pls reply me
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile
User Profile