Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Pancreas Disorders Forum

Acute Pancreatitis (Page 1)

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
I was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis when I just turned 21. I am 23 now. I see that normal symptoms include upper abdominal pain. My pain almost always occurs on my right side, like a big stich ,than radiates to my back. It does go away, but returns if I drink. I try to stay away from drinking as much as possible, but cant help it sometimes i.E. When im with my friends. I've never experienced vomiting, fever, or have had to been hospitalized. I did go under many tests, and my levels were pretty high. I see that people say they have episodes. My question is what constitues an episode? Like I said I feel the pain everytime I drink, but goes away in a couple of days. I really dont think I can go through life without drinking every now and than. The doctors told me not to drink at all, but have read online that its ok to consume 1 to 2 drinks. My other question is does marijuana have a known affect? I know that smoking cigarettes do, but does that include marijuana? Well, heres to everybody whos had to go through this damn disease, life aint over yall :wink:
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper eedenscurse
|

replied March 6th, 2006
Hi,

i just wanted to say - be careful! I first developed symptoms at 18, was diagnosed at 25 and i'm now 32, and i've had 25 attacks, three within the last three months.

It sounds as is your attacks are really mild - you'll know if you need to go to hospital - because the pain gets way too bad to cope with! I don't think my ap is linked to alcohol either, but I have cut it out, just to be sure. If you have to drink, I tink you're better off with 'long' drinks such as wine, beer, etc. Don't drink spirits! And, sorry to say, you've got to stop smoking, completely. It sends all your risk levels through the roof, and you can't afford it. You are already at an increased risk of cancer of the pancreas - very deadly, so you have to minimise all the other risks!

Above all, don't mess with this illness. I've had it for a long time; sometimes it leaves me alone for 18 months, other times it hits again and again, and just takes over. Every time you're ill your pancreas gets damaged, and you need it to last you the rest of your life. When you see what ap can do to you, it gives you a new appreciation - it can get much, much worse, so play by the rules in order to keep yours as mild as possible for as long as possible.

I know it's boring - having ap when you're young is a real pain, but treat it with respect!

C
|

replied December 5th, 2012
thats good advice my son was diagnosed at 16 he is now 23 and been in and out of hospital allot and once in icu whilst on holiday in turkey, he dont touch alcohol and he still gets flare ups its a very scary illness
|

replied December 15th, 2012
If you want to ward off pancreatitis, you need to stop drinking completely and smoking also. I have had to deal with pancreatitis for many years now, but more so in the last nine months. I was on a feeding tube for four months, and didn't think I was going to live through the last two attacks. Believe me, you don't want to do anything that is going to make pancreatitis a part of your life. The quality of my life is not very good at all at the moment, and I wouldn't wish this on anyone. I have never been a drinker, but I don't see why you can't just order a "virgin" when out with your friends.........
|

User Profile
replied March 19th, 2006
Experienced User
Re: Acute Pancreatitis
smoothtyrant wrote:
i was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis when I just turned 21. I am 23 now. I see that normal symptoms include upper abdominal pain. My pain almost always occurs on my right side, like a big stich ,than radiates to my back. It does go away, but returns if I drink. I try to stay away from drinking as much as possible, but cant help it sometimes i.E. When im with my friends. I've never experienced vomiting, fever, or have had to been hospitalized. I did go under many tests, and my levels were pretty high. I see that people say they have episodes. My question is what constitues an episode? Like I said I feel the pain everytime I drink, but goes away in a couple of days. I really dont think I can go through life without drinking every now and than. The doctors told me not to drink at all, but have read online that its ok to consume 1 to 2 drinks. My other question is does marijuana have a known affect? I know that smoking cigarettes do, but does that include marijuana? Well, heres to everybody whos had to go through this damn disease, life aint over yall :wink:

hi, I had and ido-pathic case of pancreatites, in 1988.. It was a really intense burning pain that was on my left side of my body, it was under my breast and would radiate out thru to my back. I thought for a week before that it was heartburn, everytime I would eat it would get bad. I had a ultra-sound which was freaken brudle and so painfull, it can back normal. I went to my family doctor and he said "everything is normal". I said "no, its not, i'm dying here, so he thought to do the amalyse/ lypase blood tests. I got home feeling so sick and I was so busy at work, the phone was ringing and I answered it and it was my doctor. "he said: get to the er now" " I will meet you there". When I got there, he informed me that my pancrease levels were 10 times the normal level. This was very odd as I don't drink alcohol! I was put into the hospital for 10 days at which time, they came back to me and said it was, and I quote "ido-pathic pancreatites" I was like you better not be calling me an idoit, he was like no, were the idiots,because we can't fiqure it out.
To make a really long story short I have had over 100 attacks of pancreatites in 14 years. My cause is steriods, for asthma, very rare, but it does happen. Look in to your meds and be aggressive and challenge your gi's if you can find a female gi, they are way more sympathetic you the female needs, males tend to blame it on stress.
As for the drinks, no more girl friend, the more you drink the worse you make it. I gave up drinking alcohol for 10 years and started eating fresh pinapple, which has naturally healing properties in it. I find the heating pad and muscle relaxants help. But I have never been able to work since 1994, I have had my gallbladder removed as they thought a cyst was causing it. Nope it was a healthy organ> the desperation you feel when you are hospitalized and everyone thinks you look healthy and the blood work comes up inconclusive is devestating.
Now when I have an attack of pancreatities and it doesn't come up on blood work they belive me. Why?? Because I went to the medical library and the foothills hospital and calgary and study and copied everything that I could about it and you know what.Blood test are inconclusive in over 50% paitents. You need to have a ct scan done of the gut, when you are in pain. Being acute, that is difficult to predict.
But if you stop the drinking and parting, and try and find out what is the healthy way, by diet to treat and calm pancreatities.. Let me know as, 4 gi's were absolutley useless when I asked him what can I eat ( I losst 145lbs, on 5'1 frame in 14 months due to starvation, that is the only way to stop the pain. I under go another endoscope as I have now developed a vcd (vocal cord dysfunction) which is caused by get the pancreatities and gerd. You must be pro-active dear. You sound young, so your real friends don't dump you because you can't drink, their not true friends. When the pain is sever go to the er.. Good luck wanda p
|

replied January 22nd, 2012
every time u drink ur amylase and lipase will increase if the food you cosume contains a lot of fat pain may increase.as for ur marijuna aftr consuption u feel hungery and consume more food which might cause pancreatitis.
|

replied March 30th, 2006
Drinking And Pancreatitis
Hello,

drinking with pancreatitis is always a bad idea!! And yes it can be avoided even when out with friends. Become the regular designated driver!! The attacks of pain you have following every time you drink should tell you it is a bad idea....

With each acute attack you have, you are one step closer to chronic pancreatitis. And believe me - you do not want to be chronic!! My first attack happened when I was 8 years old (now 48). I have been chronic for the last 6 years. It is life stealer!!! It don't kill you but it will sometimes make you wish it did. It is disabling (i have not been able to work since 2001). The pain is 24/7 and no matter what you do it never goes away. Yet you also get attacks when the pain is unbearable.

Additionally chronic pancreatitis leads to many other disorders - the worse of which is type 1 brittle diabetes - uncontrollable diabetes. This comes with all the side effects of diabetes. Malabsorption is another problem. You can literally starve to death, even though you are eating. It causes all kinds of vitamin and mineral inbalances with come with their own problems.

Please think twice before you take another drink. Each drink puts you closer to being chronic..... And there are many more problems associated with chronic pancreatitis that I am not listing here.

Reeann
|

User Profile
replied March 30th, 2006
Experienced User
Re: Drinking And Pancreatitis
reeann wrote:
hello,

drinking with pancreatitis is always a bad idea!! And yes it can be avoided even when out with friends. Become the regular designated driver!! The attacks of pain you have following every time you drink should tell you it is a bad idea....

With each acute attack you have, you are one step closer to chronic pancreatitis. And believe me - you do not want to be chronic!! My first attack happened when I was 8 years old (now 48). I have been chronic for the last 6 years. It is life stealer!!! It don't kill you but it will sometimes make you wish it did. It is disabling (i have not been able to work since 2001). The pain is 24/7 and no matter what you do it never goes away. Yet you also get attacks when the pain is unbearable.

Additionally chronic pancreatitis leads to many other disorders - the worse of which is type 1 brittle diabetes - uncontrollable diabetes. This comes with all the side effects of diabetes. Malabsorption is another problem. You can literally starve to death, even though you are eating. It causes all kinds of vitamin and mineral inbalances with come with their own problems.

Please think twice before you take another drink. Each drink puts you closer to being chronic..... And there are many more problems associated with chronic pancreatitis that I am not listing here.
Do you have a web site or forum, so we can talk? Thanks wanda

reeann
|

replied May 5th, 2008
Hi all.
I've just had my first attack of Acute Pancreatitis.

I was rushed to ER and they gave me morphine, put me on a drip, gave me loads of antibiotics and wouldn't let me eat.
I must admit it was pretty scary - I went in to shock and very nearly died.

So I've just got out of hospital and I don't know very much about what to do next.
The doctors didn't give me any advice except to only eat light meals?!

I see that alcohol is bad - that's ok can live without that!
Can anyone give me any advice? Am I likely to get it again?

Thank you...

Emma
|

replied June 28th, 2013
research and learn to eat, and be devoted to, a non fat diet. I did not say low fat, I said non fat. It is the most important thing and I don't see it on these posts. Maybe people don't know how to eat to live with this disease. Please google non fat diets. Work up some recipes you like and stick to them, and carry a tupperware container of these foods with you if you go out. NO ALCHOHOL whatsoever. Don't even smell it.

Put mustard on your sandwich, no cheese no mayo. No egg yolks, buy egg whites in a container and scramble. maybe a slice of non fat cheese on the top. No butter at all, not light butter, nothing of the sort. No birthday cake or pastries, have angel cake instead.

Spend a year working on the non fat diet and you will adapt very quickly. Never go off it. this is the way you will live from now on. It takes attention but you will be able to live with it easily once you get the hang of it. Take yours with you, is my advice.
|

User Profile
replied May 5th, 2008
Experienced User
prawnsize wrote:
Hi all.
I've just had my first attack of Acute Pancreatitis.

I was rushed to ER and they gave me morphine, put me on a drip, gave me loads of antibiotics and wouldn't let me eat.
I must admit it was pretty scary - I went in to shock and very nearly died.

So I've just got out of hospital and I don't know very much about what to do next.
The doctors didn't give me any advice except to only eat light meals?!

I see that alcohol is bad - that's ok can live without that!
Can anyone give me any advice? Am I likely to get it again?thank you...

Yes it is best stay away from all take out, eat whole grains, little sugar, no fats, no alcohol, no juices.. Listen to your body, if the cat scans are available you can confirm them on a cat scan while inflammed. Eating less helps conrol the painn good luck Confused

Emma
|

replied December 29th, 2008
acute pancreatitis
i had an episode of acute pancreatitis about 4 years back. It was intense pain in the lower abdomen radiating to the back.my glucose level was also slightly high. sinnce then i have stopped drinking completely. thereafter i never had any problems whatsoever.my glucose also is normal.but thereafter my calcium level is always low. now i am taking calcium supplements 3 times a day. the absorption is very poor. i also have to take vitamin d. can i now start drinking occasionaly.
|

replied January 2nd, 2009
Pancreatitis
My boyfriend has been hospitalized 4 times in the last year for pancreatitis but he continues to drink, now the doctor said this can kill him is that
true? He does not seem to get it he thinks that they are just make things up can this kill him if he does not stop drinking???
|

replied June 5th, 2009
Pain when drinking/eating after acute pancreatitis
I've had a very serious acute pancreatitis attack 3 days ago... the pain got worse throughout the day and at 1am in the morning I wasn't able to take it anymore and asked my husband to bring me to the ER. I stayed in the ER for 6 hours, got an IV, they took my blood, urine samples, and did an ultrasound. It did not take them too long to figure out that I had acute pancreatitis, but they said they cannot figure out why - I don't really drink (maybe once in 4 months??) and I don't have gallstones - two of the most common causes for acute pancreatitis. I asked my mother if she had symptoms like that before or if it was in my family, and actually she said she had something like that before, similar pain, but back then they were not able to give her a correct diganosis (40 years ago). I am only 25, and had pain in my stomach before, however, I never took it seriously or it was never that bad that I had to go to the doctor or to the hospital.

I haven't had any solid food in 3 days, I am scared to eat because of the pain. I am drinking lots of water and broth, but even decaf tea or chicken broth gives me pain, not too much, but I can tell that it takes time to get better. I got pain reliever like vicodin, which knock me out.

I wonder if I can ever go back to my regular diet, I never really cared what I ate before, it was usually a very balanced diet, and sometimes it happened to be a bit fatty/oily. I will have a follow up appmt with my doctor next week and I'll try to find out more if I have to adjust my diet from now on.

Is it normal to feel pain when drinking broth / tea after acute pancreatitis?
|

replied July 4th, 2009
If drink was the cause of your acute pancreatitis, give it up, because when - and it will be when - you develop chronic pancreatitis, you'll remember all those blase evenings of getting trashed with absolute regret, while being in total agony in the present and unable to think clearly about your fearsomely shortened future.

Drink can be fun, until it isn't, and when it's threatening your wellbeing, just give it up. Seriously. i can't put into words the extent to which you'll rue the day you carry on.
|

replied September 30th, 2009
hey guys.......im 16 yrs old i have had two attacks of acute pancreatitis lol its acyually funny im sitting at mayo clinic now getting a bunch of tests done for this.....i was first told i hace this two weeks before my 16 birthday and have since had to make a lot of lifestyle changes....i used to drink about 3 times a month with my buddys but havnt had a drop of alchahol since my first aattack....i also used to smoke cicgarettes (about a pack a day) but quit after my second attack...both times i was put on a low fat diet which is 50 grams of fat per day ....for all who dont know that is about 5 tablespoons of mayonase!!!!! i was recently told i could continue a normal diet but have chosen not to ...i guess i really dont want to take the risk of getting it again...for 1 it is way painfull ...i dont know how many times i blacked out bc of it...and for two i am now repeating a semester of my sophmore yera bc i missed so much school and i just kind of gave up..plus it really isnt worth the week in the hospital and not eating for three days......if you ever want to know more or want to ask n e questions you can message me....ttyl guys......
|

replied January 16th, 2010
i had ap to. almost died. multiple organ failure followed along with adult respitory distress syndrome. ap usually doesnt go this far but for me it did...my pancreas shot poison into my body.. making my lungs shut down....do i drink now? yes i do ....just not as much...
i do not expierence stomach pain when i do it though
but am always watching for any sign of it, cause then id stop. Life goes on. Doctors will naturally tell you not to do it...but i dont worship that religion and a doctor is not a priest for me as it is for so many others. Listen to your inner most voice.. and it will tell you what you are allowed and what you are not. Pay attention to pain, it is there to warn you and tell you something is not right. I always had warning signs but unfortunately i did not listen to them....i thought drinking more would make the pain go away...and before you judge me ...let me say this...im sick of encyclopidia people who believe everything they are told
You have a disease...you must be aware of it, but you must live and be merry as well...be the designated drive....ha! some people arent that boring
If i sound like a ahole...fine......but im sick of hearing stupid advice that not based on fact
the truth is they dont know where the limit it so they say dont do it at all...i say dont do it at all if you are too stupid to find your limit...but if not, find your limit and listen to your body........and live
and laugh...life is too short to go through it trying to prolong by erasing all the little pleasures...those who want the last years where u pee your bed and cant move...you go ahead and live healthy to die long......i dont want to die long and im sick of your opra, self help answers
|

User Profile
replied February 17th, 2010
Pancreas cyst
I am writting even though I it may be premature to do so. But I have been devasted by the news at the docs. I have had some discomfort in my right side abdomen just under the edge of my rib cage. I had an ultrasound done and the doc told me I have a cyst in my pancreas...now I am scheduled for a CT scan and I am freaking out of what it might be. The doctor has put a rush on it..and this has made me even more nervous. I drink but mostly on weekdays , and usually have a beer daily...what is going on??? I have had heart burn and bloating as well for some time, and many times loose stools. Guess I am looking for good news or something comforting...anyone know what is going on and should I worry???
|

replied July 18th, 2010
A Brief Journey of my pain

In January 2010 I experienced my first symptoms of pain which turned out initially to be jaundice followed by a diagnosis of gallstones which meant an admission into hospital in early February 2010.
After my first admission eating fatty foods was a key cause of the episodes of pain and was told by the consultant to have my gallbladder out 6 weeks ago but instead gave me 3 months to decide as I was not in a fit state of mind to decide whether I really wanted it so was expected to give him my decision on 13th July this year.
I have continued to cut down on fatty foods and have lost almost 3 stones in weight since the beginning of the year, I am not grumbling about the weight loss however I would have preferred to do it differently avoiding pain attacks relating to food intake.
I now eat substantially less and better variety of diet along with gentle exercise a few times a week, these pain occurrences have totally changed my life, clothes are loose and although I was t-total before now I will be for the indefinite future as I don’t want food and alcohol relating to further pancreatitis so overall despite the discomfort in hospital I am much healthier and happier.
Events superseded my decision to have my gallbladder out late July 2010 so in May this year was admitted again with gallstone induced pancreatitis which was extremely painful resulting a week or so later with my gallbladder removed.
I was petrified of the operation but I had it done as I could not bear any more pain so I took the risk of general surgery via key hole. Waiting 8 hours in squelching UK heat was not pleasant especially when you are nil by mouth.
On 29th June I was discharged from the consultant only to find a week later I was admitted with a further episode of an infection of the pancreas spending seven nights at the local hospital. Now I hope they have gone for good so when I see the consultant surgeon at the end of August I can try and be discharged for a second time.
This time I had severe hiccups, excess sweating and lots of vomiting adding to jaundice, gallstone and acute pancreatitis, why do things in halves, all this when I don’t drink, smoke, eat pretty healthily and have good health yet I have all of this unlucky or what.
General Questions
Gallstones

• Has anyone else had their gallbladder out with symptoms of gallstone induced pancreatitis or an infection of the pancreas?
• Has anyone ever had gallstones formed after their gallbladder was removed?
• Has anyone after their gallbladder been removed had a Gastroscopy and how did you feel about it?
• Did it solve the problem after this kind of surgical intervention?
• Was it unpleasant having a tube put down your throat?
• Has anyone had tablets, laser to treat gallstones or anything else if so what were the results like?

Pancreatitis

• How long can one live with pancreatitis until you die, get pancreatic cancer or it develops to more episodes?
• How soon after one episode can other ones occur and is this natural once they start they won’t stop?
• Has anyone kept to a low fat or other diet after gallbladder or acute pancreatitis?

• Can one self diagnose jaundice especially if it’s in the eye or does a clinician to spot it?
• Do you know of anyone who has died as a result of a first or further episode of pancreatitis?

Scans

• How do people find MRI Scanners, if claustrophobic have you ever been sedated in order to have one? Do you think the scanners could be wider or done differently?
• Were you frightened when the put you in the scanner and if so did the therapist take you out or just leave you? Did you go into shock or frenzy?
• Have people had CT scans and vomited the contents of the scan as soon as it stopped?
• How do people feel about Ultra Sounds?
• How do people feel about CT Scans?
• Have you had any other scans if so what and what were they like?
Thank you for reading this blog and your thoughts would be helpful to me and to assist others.
Mark Crossley
|

replied August 2nd, 2010
acute pancreatitis
hello all

im 25 years old, i drank wine everyday for the past two years at least a bottle maybe two. i was jus released from the hospital today for pancreatitis. my levels were all off my pancreas was at 10,000 my potassium,and other electrolytes were low. i was in the hospital for 5 days the dr. told me i should not drink anymore as i could possible develop cronic pancreatitis. my question is did anyway experience a bloating around their abdomen or weight gain in that area after being released from the hospital? i was fed thru an iv and given pain pills so i cant understand what the reason would be for the weight gain. thanks in advance
|

replied July 23rd, 2011
Yes it is very normal to have bloating and gassy feeling when you are released from the hospital and it lasts for weeks until it is finally gone. Your stomach can look and feel huge! I am not sure about the weight gain except I know that the pain killers they give you cause you to be constipated and you need to be on stool softeners most times. I have been in the hospital 8 times with this and struggle to quit drinking but know if I don't that I will develop chronic pancreatitis which will eventually kill me.
|

replied May 29th, 2012
I just got out of the hospital today after four days in there. I was on the IV the whole time and I gained 10 pounds and my stomach is totally bloated still. I did not have any food till this morning, which was some of that hospital egg stuff. It did not hurt after eating it so my doc let me go home. The couple of doctors that I talked to said that I can go back to my regular diet (which consist of meat, dairy and junk, no fruits of vegies) as soon as I felt comfortable. They also told me to stop drinking for two weeks and then I can drink again. I do not drink every day and only have a couple of beers unless it is some sort of weekend away, then I can drink a lot.
|

replied August 6th, 2010
I'm 19 and I got my first attack of acute pancreatits a month ago. I was in Tanzania when I got it and was rushed into hospital because the pain was unbearable. After 3 days there I flew back to England and remained in hospital for another 10 days. During my stay I had ultra sound scans, a CT scan, a cannular put in and over 25 blood tests. I wasnt allowed to eat or drink for 5 days. They said they thought it might be the malaria tablets I had been taking - doxycycline, but they couldnt confirm it and wrote down it was idiopathic on my discharge form. Ive been told I can try drinking again after 3 months but I'm pretty terrified of it coming back - I cant handle that pain again! I think i will drink in the future if I can, just not binge drinking, which my doctor said should be fine.
|

replied August 6th, 2010
I'm 19 and I got my first attack of acute pancreatits a month ago. I was in Tanzania when I got it and was rushed into hospital because the pain was unbearable. After 3 days there I flew back to England and remained in hospital for another 10 days. During my stay I had ultra sound scans, a CT scan, a cannular put in and over 25 blood tests. I wasnt allowed to eat or drink for 5 days. They said they thought it might be the malaria tablets I had been taking - doxycycline, but they couldnt confirm it and wrote down it was idiopathic on my discharge form. Ive been told I can try drinking again after 3 months but I'm pretty terrified of it coming back - I cant handle that pain again! I think i will drink in the future if I can, just not binge drinking, which my doctor said should be fine.
|

replied August 17th, 2010
?
|

replied August 17th, 2010
Hello everyone! Im new and desperate for answeres. All of my symptoms seem to corralate with yours. I have not been diagnosed with ap.My gi doc doesnt seem to know what I have.He seems to think I have to much "stress".Stress doesnt usually cause violent vomitting and intense pain after every meal! Im going to get my enzymes checked tomorrow. Can anyone tell me if they have experienced symptoms other than extreme pain and nausea? Any advice would be great.Thanks
|
12 >>