Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Working On Recovery... a Life Resolution:)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I have been home on winter break from school and have done a lot of thinking about everything. After several trips to the doctor and an mri of my brain (which ended up being completely normal), I have come to the realization that all these physical symptoms are all a result of anxiety. I still fear that I will find something else to worry about, however I am doing my best to not let this happen. It's hard to believe the ways in which anxiety manifests itselfs in our lives, but it's real, it's scary, and it's overwhelming.
I know that recovery is not something that will happen overnight, however; I know it's possible. I picked up the book "from panic to power" by lucinda bassett which was a recommendation I found on this forum. Within reading the first 25 pages I began to feel empowered and optimistic... I really recommend this book or any other self-help book pertaining to anxiety/worry. Taking the step to actively seek knowledge and learn ways in which to control anxious thoughts is a way for me to feel in control of my life again... For a while I felt lost and very scared. It sounds so simple, but it really does help. Not to say all my crazy physical symptoms have disappeared yet... They haven't! But through the lightheadedness, the twitches, the aches and pains... I am beginning to laugh, and if I become scared for a minute I take a deep breath and try and remember that worrying excessively has gotten me nowhere in the past. Just wanted to share this... I have faith for recovery for myself and for everyone else... It might sound overly optimistic, but I believe it.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 5th, 2006
Thank you so much for the advice! I will give eft a try... It seems like a lot of people believe it has helped them... Happy new year to you also! Take care!
|

replied January 7th, 2006
Re: Working On Recovery... a Life Resolution:)
Hi,

you'll be interested to read all 3 books by claire weekes. They have helped me immensely. Even though they were written in the late 60s, early 70s, they hold up tremendously in 2006.

They're so much more helpful than the mainstream, i.E., lucinda bassett, even. Bassett's key strength is in marketing her products and making tons of money, which is all good, but I feel the content of her texts/programs are seriously lacking, when compared to claire weekes.

Good luck to you!

Jeff
|