Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Sharp Pain On Top of Head When I Cough.

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
Hello,

I have been having this sharp pain on the top of my head whenever I cough. I have had for a week now. At the begining it would hurt more easily. It only comes when I cough. Also if I haven't coughed for a while and then I cough it won't hurt. Its only when I cough like one after another. I also just got off of a really bad cold and have been coughing alot. It came on one day when I was coughing really rough and then it happened. I'm not sure what it is. I was a little worried because I have read it can be anything from sinusities to a tumor. Any suggestion would greatly help thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 5th, 2006
Pressure Headache
Hi,

it is called pressure headache. It's due to raised intracranial pressure.

Though brain tumor also causes headache, but it it more severe and may associated with nausia, vommiting, visual disturbance and other symptoms. Pain could be at night or morning. Ct scan or mri can rule out brain tumor.

If you have persist headache then you should contact your doctor and you may need take some medications.

Acupuncture will help your condition.

Good luck,

jun song, lac
edit
|

replied January 23rd, 2006
Jun song, is a headache associated with a brain tumour usually persistent and very painful
|

replied May 5th, 2011
I've been having similar pain when I cough, sneeze, bend over, get up off the couch, laugh hard or strain in other ways. It's on the top and sides, over the ears. It was more toward the back and felt like an ice cream headache that rushed up the the back of my head to the top. Not on the forehead at all. It only last a few seconds. I usually have a dull headache on the back lower part of my head most of the day, but Ibeprophen helps that. I do get some short sharp pains around my left ear randomly.

It started over 2 months ago, I had gotten sick (cold/flu) and these headaches started and haven't stopped.

I went to the Chiropractor and he said we'd try 3 treatments and if that doesn't help then I needed to go to my doctor. So we did and it seemed to help some, the pain wasn't as intense but it still happened when I strained or coughed.

So I went to the doctor and he put me on Pregnozone (spelling?)for 10 days. He told me to stop taking it when I felt relief, maybe after 4 days. I took it the whole 10 days, no relief. So I tried Claritin for a week, no relief. Then the Dr. put me on an antibiotic for 12 days and that's not helping either. He has told me to complete the antibiotic and make an appt for an MRI.

We don't have insurance so I was hoping for another option. MRI's are $2,000 I understand. So does anyone know anything else I could try? Has anyone had this experience?

Thanks
Sue cq
|

replied February 24th, 2013
suzcq- yes im having the same problem since the day i got the tonsils swollen in my right side of the neck, and a fever for 2 days, i dont know, im a pot head, also, the headache in my case lasts for 5 minutes at a stretch and only happens on the top center of my head.
when i up from a bed or a bean bag sort of a thing, it really is about to blow !
|