Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lupus Forum

Abnormal Menstruation And Lupus

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Since I gave birth to my third child over 1 year ago, and 13 months after being diagnosed with lupus, I still have extremely abnormal menstrual cycles. Sometimes a period can last up to 21 days straight with only a couple of "off days" in between. I've seen my gynocologist, who found no apparent cause, and my endocrinologist (who takes care of my thyroid and lupus thankfully) who found no glandular reason. I need some advice, or perhaps someone who understands. By my own research, lupus can play a part in abnormal cycles, and I just wonder if i'm alone (except for my disgruntled husband :oops: ) please respond with info/consolation.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 14th, 2006
Hi rebecca

although I have not had any kids, I too have very abnormal menstrual cycles and mine have lasted up to ten to fifteen days straight and I hate it!!!!!!! But like you i've gone to see my doc and specailists and there is nothing unsual, I would keep bugging them if it's a painful period, I find that after my normal five to seven day period (which is very painful) it's not painful anymore.

All I do is stay away from sugar and chocolats which can make you bleed more, as well as anti-inflamatories, like advil, I can't have advil so I take tylenol #2 but whatever works for you and drink plently of water since that will help with the little clots of blood we sometimes get which can make for a painful period.

Hope you start feeling better soon

take care
|

replied September 20th, 2008
Lupus and abnormal periods
I have SLE Lupus and also have VERY abnormal periods. Sometimes I can go for months and months without a period, and then when I finally do start, it can last for months. YES! I said months. I make sure I take plenty of iron pills to keep my blood count up. I have tried birth control pills, but they make me sick. My doctor can find nothing wrong. I guess it must be the Lupus, but it is VERY annoying. If anybody finds out more info on this, I would definitely be interested.
|

replied October 4th, 2008
Lupus and irregular menstruations
Hello everyone, i share the same problems (Lupus and menstrual problems); i was Dx with Lupus in 2005, but was under investigation since 99; For me the Menstrual cycle has become like a warning when it comes to Lupus flares .. let me explain , it's like the pattern is changing , at first it just like regular cycle , menstrual period would last a couple days ( that's when i am well controlled with meds and everything else) ; suddenly ,the menstruation would last for 13-14 days and could be in a very heavy flow to, that would be for 2-3 months; after that it's the extreme i have almost nothing (i am just using panty liner) and if i could call it menstruation would last 1 day ( 1/2 a day) , that's when i am in a flareup , including all the symptoms that we know! so yeah , Ladies , Living with Lupus it's has become a real bag of surprises, the more we live with it, the more we discover !

Anyone from Ottawa , On here, i wish i could go for a cup of coffee(LOL)

take care ,
Barbie doll,
|

replied January 7th, 2010
my menstrual cycle and it's affects from lupus
hi all. i have discoid lupus but have many, many SLE symptoms. among them would be my irregular periods. i feel that after a major flareup, my period cycle gets pushed back. for example, the holidays just ended. from thanksgiving to new years, i have been flaring hard on and off. i know that this january's period will be very off target again, which is very frustrating. i agree with barbie, it's a real bag of surprises...our "look good, feel horrible" disease!
|