Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Popping Feel In My Head...

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
Hi, I have been under many scans such as x-ray scans and cat scans and nothing has shown up. My problem is I get an uncontrollable and unpredictable popping feeling in the back of my head and it hurts real bad and im a guy. It hasnt happened for a while and it happened again today and it was the worst, my tongue went knumb for about 5 mineutes this time. Has anyone heard of anything like this or have an answers to what could be happening? :cry:
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper PrivatePirate
|

replied January 3rd, 2006
Im sorry I was new to this site and posted b4 I started reading posts..My problem was exaclty like others in a very popular post with the popping in the back of the head and the ice pick feeling..I dont know why my tungue went numb but will check up on this "indocid". Thanks
|

replied January 5th, 2006
My 9 year old son has been getting the same symptoms. He is going for an mri next week and I am terrified. I have been searching for anyone on the web with the same symptoms but have found no one but you. He has had 2 neurological exams and both are normal. He is seeing a pediatric neurologist about this and he says that he doesn't think it's anything serious. I'm scared he has a brain tumor or something, I am relieved to see that your scans came out okay. He describes his as a pain or a popping feeling that heats up and he says that he feels like a hole opens up in the center of his tongue. He says these pains last maybe like 10 to 15 seconds or so. Is this what you experience? The doctor says to have an eeg done. He says it may be a type of seizure. Please get back to me on this.
|

replied January 6th, 2006
When I went for my c.A.T scans on my brain they could not find anything so I was stumped also because they hurt alot and yes sounds like the same symptoms...I read in other posts that someone tryed something like indocid but I found out that was just like taking advil, which I dont think would cover the pain from happening that often unless you took alot.
If you find out what it is i'd be glad to know also or anyone else.

-tyler
|

replied January 24th, 2006
Same Here
I have been searching all over the internet. I am 19 yrs old and am a female. I have been getting them for a few years now and today I had the worst one I ever had. The sharp numbing pain and it went through my head and it felt like my tongue was almost splitting in two. My tongue was numb for just about five minutes. I even fell to the floor initially because the pain was so great. Tell me if you find anything. Please. I want help
|

replied January 24th, 2006
Ask your doctor if it could possibly be vascular spasms
|

replied February 6th, 2006
I took my son to have an mri and all his findings were normal. So I have no idea what is causing this. I feel alot better that it is nothing serious.
|

replied November 11th, 2009
clicking/ popping sensation in skull
I don't know if anyone ca help me but occasionally I suffer from a clicking/popping sensation at the top of my head as if I can feel it crackling under my skull. It does not however hurt but it feels as well as sounds like something is rattling around in my skull. Worries me, any advice? Thanks. yaz
|

replied November 23rd, 2009
Popping sensation in head /skull
I had this same sensation for years,(when I was a child and teenager) like eating popping candy with your mouth shut, except it was popping in my skull. I think I read somewhere it is associated with epilepsy, but I have never had a diagnosis of it and it seems to have stopped now. Dont think it did any permanent damage (thats my opinion of course, others may think different! )
|

replied March 27th, 2010
glad to hear i'm not the only one
I have had the exact same thing happen to me for several years. I'm female and 18 years old. I would estimate this has been happening to me since I was around 10. It happens randomly, and feels as if I cannot move my neck, I have to force myself to move it or else it feels like my neck could stick. When I move my head to get the feeling to stop, my neck pops, on the left side always, and the popping continues up into my head, like my skull is popping. It feels like a burning sensation lasting for about 10 seconds. It hasn't caused any problems that I know of, other than the fact that it really hurts when it does happen.
|

replied May 21st, 2010
my grandson has had popping in his head for at least 3 years now. He is 17 right now. But with his, after he has the popping, he feels like some liquid is running in his head. The other day the popping was so bad it dropped him to his knees. He just had an mri, mra, and something else. Haven't heard back yet about results.
|

replied September 23rd, 2011
hi jasmin,i know your post is a lot older than my reply but im hoping you may read this, my son is experiencing the exact same thing as your granson, he also said that after the poping feeling in his head he felt like there was liguid running in his head,this also dropped him to his knees with pain and his whole body went stiff and he was in a lot of pain,did you find out what was happening to your grandson?hoping for any help thank you and blessings regards tania
|

replied March 9th, 2011
popping,burning sensation in head
My son has had some of the same syptoms. He will feel a pop and then burning sensastion in the back of his head.Sometimes one side of his tounge will go numb.When this happens he is usually doing something active like a sport,but it has happened when he has turned his head quickly.The symptoms only last about 10 seconds or so and are slightly painful.He has been experiencing these symptoms since he was six years old and he is now nine years old.We have taken him to a neurologist and didn't get any answers. please respond if anyone has found an answer to their own similar experience
as my son's. thank you
|

replied January 7th, 2013
Hi, my son is 15 and had these symptoms 3 years ago. They went away and now are back. He's had a cat scan came back normal. One doctor said he was having seizures, which I do not believe that is it. Another doctor said migraines. Don't believe that either. Did your son ever get a diagnosis?
|

replied September 11th, 2011
Muscles/Nerves
This stuff has happened my whole life: a quick turn of the head and *ouch.* It happened today a few times while playing sports/turning head very quickly. I always thought it was just a normal but painful thing. Like a cold headache.

I spoke with my roommate about it today - she is a physical therapist. She mentioned that there are neck muscles that attach at the base of the skull. There are also some substantial nerves that run up the neck and over the skull. She said the sensation sounds like nerve pain. Perhaps the quick muscle movement shifts a nerve in some way and gives it a serious jolt, causing the popping/burning sensation. The nerves could be sending a warning.

I will become concerned if it starts happening very frequently and/or limits the motion I can do with my head and neck. Otherwise I feel like I just need to stretch my neck better so that the muscles aren't as taut
|

replied April 15th, 2012
Head popping
I have experienced something similar but not that bad. I believe that sinus problems sometimes cause my head pain and tight neck and back muscles. I have been involved in a couple of auto accidents in the past. Anyone with these problems should see a Chiropractor or reflexologist. A trip to your local heathfood shop might help. The people there can usually make recommendations for possible lack of nutrients and minerals. It could also be a result of a vaccine or flu shot. My husband had some kind of seizure after getting the flu shot this year and also two years ago. He developed a horribly dry cough and would cough so hard that he would black out, face twist up, arm start to shake, and then he would not remember it seconds later. Just try to relax and pray. I wish all of you the best and thanks for sharing.
|

replied October 29th, 2012
Headache/popping sensation/what is it?
I'm 19 and I started out with a very bad headache and I have now added on the popping sensation. My just pop mostly, and only hurt every once in a while. I got to a neurologist the 19th of Dec., but it isn't helping with my school studies. All of my classes depend on attendance pretty much and it making it difficult. My headache has caused me to go on medicine to help prevent it, which is does sometimes and other times it doesn't. Then I was put on amitrix which makes me sleep, but doesn't get rid of the headache. I get dizzy easily when I stand up. I am even starting to have allergic to reaction to food that I have ate my whole life. Which I thought was causing, but not really sure. I'm gladly I'm not the only person going through this. I'm nervous about seeing the ner. When they did my blood test the first time my white/red blood cells were low, and then the second time they were fine, but iron was low.
|