Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Please Help, This Is Ruining My Life

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I don't know what's wrong with me anymore. This summer before my girlfriend's mom died, I was fine. Then after this happened, everythings went beserk. I have horrible panic attacks, constantly afraid of the world basically, won't go out anywhere except to my girlfriend's house, or short distance trips. I quit everything I used to do, including sports. My question is, I lay there, or just sit here, and I just feel the urge to move something, and if I don't move some part of my body, I end up twitching anyway. This is scaring me in to believing I have heart failure, but i'm only 17 and my ekg showed up normal, along with my bloodwork. I just really want to know whats wrong with me, so any help would be greatly appreciated, this is tearing my life apart. I would like to know if this is just something i'll have to deal with for anxiety, or if it's a whole different case. Thanks. :(
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 3rd, 2006
Experienced User
In the Same Boat.
Hello, I am 24 years old, have suffered mild anxiety for at least 10 years now. I started a new job at a hospital in february where I am a nurse.

Probably about october we had a lady pass away with breast cancer and it struck home because my mother was having all kinds of tests done and a large biopsy to see if she had cancer of the breast. Thank god that she doesn't. But ever since I have noticed my anxiety worsening.

Then there were heart attack patients ++ and that just topped off the cake. I became a nervous wreck. Now I find myself not wanting to go anywhere, I just want to sit or lay on the couch covered in my blanket.

I have to fight everyday to do my simple house work, and going out for groceries I have to psych myself up and take an ativan about 30mins before I go. Because if I don't I will not make it to the store.

So, you are not alone, this is just a brief summary of my story. It is scary being like this. But you must remember you are not alone in this. As you can see on this forum there are a lot of people dealing with some sort of anxiety. Feel free to write to me anytime, you are feeling scared.

Justy24
|

Experienced User
Hi,

anxiety can start with anything and yours was triggered by a death. It`s hard to deal with and makes you realise that we are all human and start to panic about what our fate will be.

I got my anxiety through an illness and it made me fear for my own life. Everyday I scan my body to see if I feel "normal" but what is normal? Anyway ive tried most things and I have got better but it certainly isn`t gone. You learn to deal with it and I hope that one day it will go away completely.

Good luck
debs
|

I'm just worried about my nervousness, I mean it feels like it's lasting almost constantly, and I can't calm it down. My heart seems to pound harder than it used to since i've been having these nervous spells... Is all of this normal? I had an ekg, and it came back perfect, along with my blood work, so please, is this normal for a person with anxiety/panic disorder?
|

Experienced User
Crusaderx
Yes a raised pulse is normal when having nervousness/anxiety or panic attack. Before I went on medication my pulse was up to 137bpm... So, do not panic especially if your ekg came back perfect. As long as your sinus rhythm is normal/steady and not thready and jumping all over the place it is good. I am taking apo-propranolol for my heart and ever since it has been between 56-80bpm 80 when I am working.
Not that this drug is for you.
Anxiety can give you heart attack like symptoms and many others.
I hope that you are feeling better soon.

Justy24
|