Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cold, Flu and Viral Infections Forum

Weird Common Cold

Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...
Every year my 'common cold' leads me to experience some pretty uncommon side effects. I'm curious to know if anyone else sees this when they get sick or if it's it something to worry about.

It always starts out with an irritated throat; it's scratchy and annoying. Then the salivating starts. I am constantly swallowing and my salivation glands go nuts. It causes a very upset stomach. Then I begin to burp a lot. This all lasts the duration of the cold and is accompanied by all the normal stuff: coughing, runny nose, etc.

It's the salivating, swallowing and burping that i'm concerned about. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper nightskystar
|
Users who thank chelsearhea for this post: tgerr1 

replied January 2nd, 2006
I dont know about the salavating but if you are swollowing much more than normal then it might be that you are taking in a lot of air and thats why you are burping a lot.

Chillbe
|

replied July 21st, 2009
I have the same problem, but usually the burping only lasts one day or so at the onset of the cold. I think it might have to do with the swallowing, but I don't know. It keeps me awake at night Surprised(
|

replied September 18th, 2009
Ah! Finally someone who knows what I'm going through! I've mentioned it to my parents and even other friends and no one knows what I'm talking about or can relate. I feel kind of weird telling them..."Yeah, I, like, start drooling a lot in my sleep and burping for no reason." So annoying..
|

replied October 21st, 2009
This all happens to me too, again it is good to know it's not just me! I am generally very healthy yet colds for me last a lot longer than they do for others.

I salivate a lot and then the irritation in my throat forces a swallowing reflex. The constant swallowing gets my stomach excited for food that isnt coming and so it gripes.

I guess there is nothing we can do and at the end of the day one can live with it. The problem is it prevents me sleeping and so recovery is delayed because I get no rest.

I have found there is nothing particularly effective but sucking cough sweets or extra strong mints reduces the swallowing reflex by slightly de-sensitizing the throat. The small amount of 'food' in the mouth controls the salivation a little and reduces the stomach's reaction.
|

replied March 6th, 2014
Omg, I thought id have to tell my doctor or something but now I know its not just me, I keep salivating and my throat is in so much pain, I keep getting up to spit in the sink. I cant wait until the flu is gone.
|

replied December 26th, 2009
I am the same way, and my husband thinks I'm strange. The only thing that seems to work for me is to have several saltine crackers on hand to munch on. But the lack of sleep because of all the spitting & swallowing at night is the WORST! FINALLY, I'm not the only one!
|

replied June 3rd, 2010
Burping at the onset of a cold
Me too! I am sat at my desk burping away as we speak feeling shattered from a night of no sleep and the constant irritating tickle in my throat!

Glad it appears to be normal though- its new for me- only had it the last couple of colds i have had- i generally suffer with throat related illness when the weather changes so i am used to it but the burping is a fairly new thing. I also find it surpresses my appitite as well.
|

replied June 3rd, 2010
Burping at the onset of a cold
Me too! I am sat at my desk burping away as we speak feeling shattered from a night of no sleep and the constant irritating tickle in my throat!

Glad it appears to be normal though- its new for me- only had it the last couple of colds i have had- i generally suffer with throat related illness when the weather changes so i am used to it but the burping is a fairly new thing. I also find it surpresses my appitite as well.
|

replied September 17th, 2010
Drooling with a cold
And another one! I find antacids such as gaviscon and merocaine tablets to numb the throat help a tiny bit - but sleep is just impossible when you're trying not to drown in your own drool!
|

replied October 11th, 2010
Very glad to find out other people have this. It makes me throw up. It is horrible, and it always happens to me. No-one else I know seems to vomit with the cold and it always stresses me as the cold itself doesn't seem a good reason to be off work, but the throwing up means I can't just keep going as normal Surprised(
|

replied August 31st, 2012
I usually drink carbonated drinks like lemonade to help with the burping. But yeah I'm glad I know that this is just another common symptom!
|

replied September 28th, 2012
Wow, add another person who has had this for many years and who couldn't find anyone else who could relate until finding this and one other page on the net.

It always seems to set in when I try to go to bed; has anyone else noted this?

It's gross, annoying, and absurd to be transformed into a guy who uncontrollably spits every few minutes in an improvised plastic Tupperware spittoon from the edge of a bed. If you swallow all the acidic drool, it'll make you nauseous (and you still end up nauseous because you can't help but still swallow enough to render you so).

Thank God for the white noise of the fan, otherwise my girlfriend would feel like she was sleeping in a sewer.
|

replied October 10th, 2012
Wow. I literally am in the exact same situation as everyone else here - I've had this problem from years and none of my friends/family that I told know of this problem. It does keep me up and sometimes I find myself even choking awake (or maybe it's coughing, but the choke leads to a cough).

When I get it during the day I like to keep it back with mints/something to suck on like chocolate and other liquids. Water doesn't seem to help because of it's neutral taste.
|

replied December 22nd, 2013
Glad I'm not the only one!
I realize this thread started years ago, but I have suffered from this same strange side effect of the common cold for years. No one I've mentioned it to can ever relate, so it's nice to see that I'm not the only one! It always creeps up during the first few days of my cold when I am in the sore throat stage. I have excessive salivation accompanied by burping, which gets much worse when trying to sleep. The only relief I've found is to prop myself up on pillows into almost a sitting position and try to sleep that way. I think this helps the saliva drain without having to swallow so much and trigger burps. I focus on breathing slowly through my nose (which thankfully isn't usually too stuffy early on in my cold). My sleep is still restless, but definitely improved by doing this.
|