Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Muscular and Nerve Disorders Forum

Life With Drop Foot (Page 1)

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
On april 19, 2004 I had tnr. We I woke up from surgery I could not move my foot. After months of being told by my doctor that there was nothing that could be done...I found a neurologest that had a emg taken and was told by her that I had to see a neurosurgeon immediately...The peronial nerve was severly trapped and it not correct the condition would be permeniate. The neurosurgeon did the surgery...With no results or hope for improvement.
I would like to talk to others who have drop foot...And get some answers about I can expect ...Ie will I ever be able to drive a car again. The drop foot is in the right leg. Is there anything out there that will help me walk better...Etc...Etc
thank you for you help.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper jolo
|

replied January 4th, 2006
I don't know what tnr is, but I have foot drop also from a hip injury were my nerve was stretched. I was told also after my surgery that nothing could be done and that if any healing of the nerve would happen in 2years and then that would be it. It never got any better but I did find a place on the web that could do some repair, but after I contacted them I was told that I had waited to long. Unfortunately, I am stuck with this and have learned to live with it. I never got much physical therapy on this and never really any instruction on it so I have been pretty much winging it on what to do to make it easier. I am always looking at different styles of bracing ect.. To be honest I didn't even know the name of the condition I had or how common it is. I had just happened to go get my medical files from the accident and when reading them I found the term foot drop used a few times so I googled it.
|

replied November 22nd, 2011
Foot Drop
I had my nerve stretched as well and as a result have had foot drop for the last few months. I had an orthapedic brace made but it pinched my heel so i went with dragging my toes from time to time instead. I am able to get around, but my foot does bend in at an awkward angle and every once in a while i lose my balance entirely or stumble across my toes. I have been told, as i see most of you have, that there is no cure, just time. Did anyone here experience a full on foot drop and eventually recover? or see any recovery at all? It has been about 4 months for me with no signs of feeling returning and i absolutely cannot lift my foot or toes one bit. Will it ever come back or is that just the doctor giving out false hope? I had nerve tests done and was told i would have full movement back in a month, which obviously never happened....
|

replied April 13th, 2012
hi,ive had foot drop for 17 months now,i got it when i went in hospital for a heart operation,i got compartment syndrome and had to have a fasciotomy,i couldnt feel my foot and had a lot of physio,the doctors told me i had foot drop and that i should get 40% feeling back but it will time and a lot of physio .i have broken my foot twice now and physio said they cant help me,the doctors have told me that surgery is the only option.are you having physio???if not you really need to.i hope everythin gets back to normal for you soon because i know how you feel,Alison
|

replied May 6th, 2012
drop foot
Dear Donny,
During complications from aortic surgery I had a spinal cord infarction which is a temporary blockage of flow in the spine. It temporarily paralyzed me from the waist down and caused severe nerve damage. That was in 2007. In about 3 months I learned to walk again with a walker. By 2008 I was walking without a cane but nothing fancy (no steps without railings no running no flip flopsand the occasional trip and fall.)That year I had an episode and was found passed out on my apartment floor for days and my weaker left leg had horrible drop foot from the position I was in. They fitted me with a huge brace but it worked very well. I i anxious to stop wearing it bc I was in my twenties and it wasn't exactly a boyfriend magnet. But I would say it corrected my dropfoot tremendously. I still drag my toes on occasion especially when I'm tired but I have so much nerve damage my problems can only be corrected so much. But I recommend the brace and I agree that neurontin is very helpful.
Janine
|

replied June 28th, 2012
I had a hip replacement on Nov 21. The nerve was stretched, resulting in foot drop. I am now able to lift my toes, but not my foot yet. My niece had foot drop as a result of an accident. It took about 2 years for her to heal, but when she is tired, she still has a bit of trouble. I still have great hope!
|

replied July 27th, 2012
Steffytoo, thank you so much for the reply. It gives me hope, which I need. My thr was March 28, 2012; four months ago and the same thing happened to me. I've shown no improvement, have had one EMG test done. Taking Neurontin for nerve pain. I HATE having my balance messed up. Was your hip replaced from the front, or back? Mine was done the newer way, from the front and was suppose to be easier on the patient. I have no complaints about the hip replacement, although it was much more traumatic than I was prepared for.
|

replied July 27th, 2012
donnyfabulous, same here. Cannot lift the forefoot, my balance is terrible; worry a great deal about falling. My Sciatic nerve was stretched during total hip replacement, thr. I'm at the four month mark, saw my surgeon again this week. He's telling me now most of time this nerve does not repair itself. Up until now he'd been optimistic, too much so.... I've had a foot brace for most of the time, purchased on eBay at a fraction of the cost some places are charging. It's soft and does not go into the shoe; $80.00. Dr. started me on Neurontin for nerve pain 2.5 months ago, and is now upping the doseage; it makes me dizzy but does help. I'm trying to not give up hope, fight this dang thing with exercise. While not in shoes I make a mental effort to lift my forefoot on each step, there by exercising the nerves........it can't hurt
|

replied June 17th, 2012
I would love to hear more about your hip surgery because I'm now going through the same thing following hip arthroscopy and sciatic nerve entrapment repair.
Who performed your surgery and how are you doing now?
|

replied January 4th, 2006
Life After Drop Foot
Jkg
thank you for your reply. I have spent a lot of time on the internet after my drop foot...Sometimes I think I have spent too much time on line. But I feel I have to keep searching for answer and new ideas.
My drop foot was a result of total knee replacement.. Sounds like your was from an accident.
I was told..To late..That after 2 months something should have been done to release the nerve from its intrapment. The neurosurgeon thought there might have been a chance to save the nerve but too much time had passsed and now 1 yr after the surgery on the nerve there has been no improvement.
If you don't mind can you tell me how old you are...Do you continue to work...Do you still have lots of pain....Can you drive a car...Have you had an swelling in the leg since the injury..I know I am asking a lot of question...But in all my study of the condition and what to do...I have not been able to find another person with the problem and to share how you are dealing with it.
Have to tried a brace..Or the dorsi strap and if so have they helped.
I look forward to hearing from you again. Thank you
|

replied August 14th, 2012
Foot Drop.. where are you now?
I know its been years, but if you read this can you send me an email, my boyfriend is going through the same thing today you went through years ago, had Achilles tendon repaired, ended up having foot drop, but not diagnosed until a year later (long story, I would really love to know how everything has gone for you!
|

replied January 5th, 2006
Yes, my injury was due to an accident. It was similar to an injury caused by a car dash when the leg is pushed back breaking out the pelvic at the socket. I was not in a car, but was in a sitting position and my leg was hit and pushed the leg back and broke out my pelvic and stretched the nerve. Surgery was done and 2 plates and a spring plate was installed to hold things together. I had a great deal of pain and swelling in my foot after this. There was some confusion as to were I lived and the Dr. Had not given me enough neurotin to last and I ran out. Not realizing how important this stuff was, I was without it for a couple days. The foot became extremely painful and any touch would create a severe burning, prickling sensation. I did not sleep for 60 hours. After getting the medication straightened out, it was a great relief. After a month the swelling started to subside and I was soon able to put a shoe on. I am a little hardheaded and worked with my leg and foot myself and weaned myself off the medication, but this was only after I was told after a few calls that nothing could be done about the nerve damage. I would start physical therapy and that would be it other than the follow ups. At the 6 month check up, I was told I was ok other than the nerve damage. I will say that I did jump the gun on using my leg and was full weight bearing in 3-4 months which the Dr. Was not happy about. Guess I got lucky. I do not mind any questions concerning the injury, but I may not say anymore about the accident. I am in my mid forties and at the moment I am unemployed. I am not sure if that is due more to the injury or mid-life crisis. I do know that I am looking for a career change and the footdrop is a very big concern. I was an automobile mechanic. The hip and footdrop does cause some problems in this area. Mainly with the climbing up onto the tall vehicles ect.. If I was only working undercar or on low vehicles under hood I don't believe I would have any problems. But can't have everything. My left hip/foot is the one that is injured and after a year I was still having alot of trouble getting in and out of the little cramped cars and using the clutch pedals on test drives. It did get to the point that the in and out of cars started creating sharp pains in my hip and I had to leave the job. I did work on my own after that but at a pace I could endure and jobs I could pick but that didn't last long. I don't know if it had been my right foot if I could still operate a gas pedal and brake, but there are ways around that. I do try to stay positive about my condition and sometimes I can even laugh at myself for the way I walk. Things could have turned out alot worse and I am grateful that it wasn't any worse. You of course may not feel this way considering you went in for a surgery to repair something else and came out with this. I don't recall if you had mentioned your age or not but if you are young I can fully understand. If you have not already looked there is a new forum started by a Dr. Nath that has a general foot drop section. This is the Dr. I had contacted through e-mail about my condition and whether the rewiring ( mechanic talk for nerve transfering ) would work for me. They did return my call quickly and explained that there would not be any chance of success if it was past the 1yr deadline from the date of the injury. I was told that orthopedics might be able to transfer a tendon or something like that, but I don't know that i'm interested in that till I hear someone that has been through it tell me otherwise. One of my concerns has been with the blood circulation problem. Don't know their ages but this is a concern of mine considering I do sometimes have a very cold foot. As far as bracing goes my favorite has been the white canvas ankle brace and sometimes if I want to take the time, I will take the shoe string and run it through the bottom holes of my shoe to help hold my foot up. But this is why i'm here looking for different options. This post is getting way too long. It's nice to hear from someone else with my problem. I get deaf ears when I try to discuss it with others. Don't know if this helps any.
|

replied January 5th, 2006
Life After Foot Drop
Thank you for sharing your information with me. Like you I get deaf ears when I try to talk with others with the condition. This is what I have found out regarding drop foot ..The nerve is insured or compressed and from that time you are working with a short stick. My neurosurgeon said if there was no improvement... Exploratory surgery should have been done in 2-3 months. Once cause is corrected either by re-wiring or with a transplant of the nerve from another part of body...Lower foot...The start of healing is successful. The problem is your sciatic nerve was damaged at hip or mine at the knee....The nerve heals at a very slow rate...And that is not just the repaired portion...The nerve has to heal from site of injury to the toes...And the nerve will only rejuvinate its self at approx. 1/4 inch a month. While this is happening you have the muscel in what ever portion of your leg...Hip or knee...That is dying....Wala one year to heal. I hope I have not total confused you..As I am trying to make this short.
When I was in therphy for the knee surgery they had someone come in and size me for a brace. They took a mold of my leg and made this. Even as I complain about it ...It has been the best I have tried. The problem is it is large going from the knee all the way on the bottom of the foot..Ending at the toes....Also it was hinged at the ankle. It was great but bulky..Requiring me to wear a bigger shoe.
I walk best with my bare feet...But in shoes I have to have a cane. The problem being all I have read about breaking my ankle. I am concerned about the circulation..But have not had a doctor concerned with the problem. I have read some stories of conditions that can happen later...And I am concerned about them and those I have not read yet.
I was on neurontin and took myself off ...As I could not feel any reduction in pain and they make me want to sleep all the time. I to am tring to find someway to walk better...I have been throwing my foot...Which I call my dead fish...To the right...But I am wondering if I should be throwing it forward. I am very concerned about falling as I can manage to trip over my own toes..Not to mention uneven surfaces outside....I find walking on grass the most dangerous. Thanks for listening to me...It helps knowing you have the same problem.
I did go to the site you mentioned. I also contacted Dr. Nath. I wish there were more places to go and get information.
|
Users who thank jolo for this post: jsumstine22 

replied January 6th, 2006
Jolo, I sent you a pm
|

replied November 15th, 2007
Foot Drop
I myself have foot drop. I am 38 and went in for a hip replacement and came out of surgery with a broke femur and drop foot. i hate the way I walk and I use to love my job. Now, I hate my job I am embarrassed and am down on my self. I go to therapy three times a week, but it doesn't help the tinggling...
|

replied November 15th, 2007
I just spoke w/ my sister today. She had TKR surgery on Monday, and discovered yesterday that she has footdrop. This is awful- she went in to have the knee repaired due to a car wreck several years ago, and was really expecting to come out of this able to move more athletically.
I'd like to learn as much as I can about this. I think I understand from the earlier post that investigating it thoroughly w/in the 1st 2 months is important (?)
Also- she is very overweight- something which really got worse since the accident slowed her down. (She in 61) How much bearing might that have upon this problem? How will footdrop affect her postoperative PT? (She does have a really good PT friend who will be working w/ her) Is this likely to clear up spontaneously, once the PO swelling goes down?
|

replied December 18th, 2007
Re: Life After Drop Foot
Fellow Drop Foot Patients
I have had drop foot as a result of back surgery for 6 years. I noticed that some of you are wearing either orthotics - a whilte plastic kind of "brace" and others are supporting their foot with some sort of ankle or foot support. Ovewr the last 6 years, I have tried everything mentioned. Recently my doctor arranged for a NEW kind of orthotic that was made of carbon fibre material. It is so light that I barely know that I am wearing it.

Also there is something new on the market called walk aid. The device has only been abailable for less than 2 years. Its not an implant. Its a device that stimulates the nerve to make your foot rise normally as it once did pre foot drop. You can google walk aid and read about it. Hope this helps.

As a matter of fact I am going for a Walk Aid evaluation this week.
|
Users who thank farro for this post: nehama 

replied April 2nd, 2012
Drop Foot
Wow Thanks. Do you still have pain and tingling? What about cramps? I had the same brace. pretty cool. My drop foot was from back surgery as well.I feel compared to others I am doing well. I walk without anything. I have fallen a couple of times. Stadium seating is scary but I manage.Thanks Dan
|

replied June 24th, 2008
life in the slow land
Well it looks like Iam not alone, I had a minidiscectomy and a fusion l5-s1 and woke up with drop foot like all of you the pain is a real drag along with the foot.
Iam taking lyrica for the nerve pain but the tingling and pain under my toes makes it hard to sleep, I get funny feelings in my calf some times I swear some one threw water drops on my calf and my toes feel like they are sticking out of a tin can and Iam wraping them over the edge of the can.
It has been almost three months since the surgery and very little change, I had a second opinion and all doctors feel that the nerve was retracted too hard at l3-4.
I was a car inspector for the railroad and would walk 6 to 10 miles a day but not anymore it looks like Iam on the retirement board at 59 at least I have my retirement but it is half of my regular pay so it looks like the house will be up for sale I cant keep with the pay reduction, well there is always good scotch and 10 dollar cigars for comfort best of luck to you all, by the way I guess Iam lucky my foot hangs in a nutural position level I can push it down I just cant raise it past level or raise any of my toes.
|

replied July 2nd, 2008
life suks with drop foot
on march of 07 , i took methadone and a xanax bar and went into a coma , my little brother found me and called 911 .2 days later i woke up in the hospitail and the first thing i noticed i couldnt feel my right foot or move it does any body know if this is permanent . i got feeling back in my right caf musle from worken out on the bike is there any thing i can do to get back the feeling in my foot ... thanks
|

replied December 17th, 2008
foot drop
i came across this site by accident,i to have dropfoot following tkr i had suergery to reposition tendons it made a great difference to my life.now after 5 years the nerves appear to be reconecting and i have regained some movement in my foot,what i am trying to say is do not giveup hope
|

replied December 26th, 2008
foot drop and now I have RSD
I am a 47y/o female with foot drop for about 2years now from a sciatic nerve injury because of a loose cup from my hip replacements. I have had bi-lateral total hip replacements and revisions since 14 y/o and also had a left total knee rep. and the footdrop is on the left. I recently found out that now i have RSD - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. The nervous system is now malfunctioning and the sympathetic nervous system is out of control. The pain is awful. The foot is a shiny pink, it's ice cold and the shooting crazy, stabbing, burning pain drives me crazy. I have had nerve blocks (sympathetic and epidurals) it helped a little but the tingling, buzzing and pain is still present. I hear how you all feel. I am in a wheelchair and I use crutches. I am in PT and will be starting aqua therapy next week. No one has been able to pin point why exactly this happened. I wear an AFO, it helps but it hurts, it's annoying and I also wear a night brace because my foot drives me crazy if I don't and the foot rotates inward all the time, the ankle is so weak because now the muscle is shot. It sucks, it hurts and I feel like there is no one out there to help. I was going to go to the Dellon Inst. in Baltimore but went to a Neurologist at Hospital for Special Surgery where I had my hips done. I really think these doctors don't have the answer for this. I am struggling and am trying to find someone or something that could help...i just read about this thing that's like the walkaide that's by Bioness. But I don't know if that will help me. I just have to trust in God to keep directing me and hope and pray that He will heal my chronic illnesses and my foot drop.
|

replied May 22nd, 2012
Dr recommendation SOS
Which docs did you seek out at Dellon and HSS for foot drop and neuro?
|

replied December 31st, 2008
drop foot
I'm writing in regards to my older brother who has drop foot and loss of bladder function at age 48. I can't fully get all the fact of how this happened except I know he has had at least 3 operations and fusions on his disks. He has been on pain meds for a long time now and this loss of bladder function just started last week. He is totally defeated and depressed. I'm crushed, he lives far away from me. I'm frustrated for him worry about his wife and son. I have been searching for support group or something anything and just come up with scams it seems. Any one here know where I can go for help for him?
|

replied March 1st, 2009
Get help fast
I am astonished that my doctor's have not warned me of the need to get help with foot drop as a matter of urgency. Mine came on after my shin was pinned for a closed compound fracture of the tibia and fibula - after the break but before the op I could move my foot normally. I'm very grateful to have found this page in time to make use of the advice it gives. Luckily it's only been 6-7 weeks for me and I can urge my doctors to get me referred to a neurosurgeon and get proper diagnostic testing. Thanks very much.
|

replied March 3rd, 2009
FOOT DROP - RIGHT FOOT
I've had foot drop (cant move foot from above ankle) since a back injury some 6-7 years ago. But I changed by car to an automatic and had an accelerator pedal fitted on the left side of brake. It was scary learning to drive with left foot but now I cant remember driving normally! I really miss walking distances and climbing tho!
|

replied April 17th, 2009
what to do
im 21 and have foot drop. i can still move my foot down and i can move my toes a parta little and i can move it to the right, but i cant move it up or to the left. My dr. i could do the surgery or not. i was wording if i did the surgery will i lose the down movement i have? and how much movement do you get back? and how long dose it take to heal? or should i just stay with it and keep trying to move it on my own. its been 7 months scince i was in the accident.
|

replied May 11th, 2009
Foot drop
I have had a dropped right foot for over 30 years as a result of a dislocated knee suffered during a football match. I have tried not to let it bother me and just got on with life. I have done everything that I would have had I not had the "club", played representative footy, golf etc etc. 3 years ago tarsal tunnel showed up and I had corrective surgery for this but in the last 12 months cysts the size of marbles developed along the scar which had to be removed. I went to a surgeon to get the cysts removed (I hadn't heard of the tendon transplants) but asked the surgeon if there was anything he could do for the foot drop. He suggested an AFO or tendon transplant. My wife talked me into getting the transplant since I was going to laid up anyway. It is now 10 weeks since the op and while the pain and swelling has driven me crazy I am noticing movements that I haven't had for 30 years. I can now raise my foot (while on the couch) and can move my foot outwards. Obviuosly it is still early days but things look promising.
Good luck to you all
|

replied May 11th, 2009
Drop foot appears cured
About a year ago I had the experience of fullblown dropfoot. I could not tell where my right foot was and I had no control over my foot or toes. My feet had been becoming progressively more numb since 1993. In 2003 most of my symptoms, and I had 185 of them, turned around and corrected with the start of one brand of methylb12. Two years later I was injecting 5mg of methylb12 daily and was 95% healed of all symptoms except my feet and legs kept getting worse and losing sensation and motor control. Sometimes my toes were starting to drag over the previous year and I tripped on my toes several times without realizing where they were. Because I had the injectable b12 on hand I was able to experiment to find the "upregulated neural healing" that some Japanese research discussed. Within several hours of a 7.5mg sc injection of methylb12 the footdrop went away as I regained a small amount of feeling and control. A single 7.5mg sc injection of mb12 per day did not reverse the numbness much at all. In discussion with my physician we uppoed the dose to 2 injections per day of 7.5mg. Numbness retreated about 5 or 6 years worth. I got toe sensation and control back. I knew where my foot was and could stand balanced on my right foot. After several months the improvment stopped and I had two periods of improvement a day and two periods of worsening. Again with physicians discussion and aid by prescribing the quantities needed I increased to 4 injections of 7.5mg sc mb12 daily. I no longer have any totally numb areas on either foot. That hadn't been the case since 1993. I have almost my full balance back. I have absolutely no dropfoot or toe drag and haven't since I started 7.5mg sc injections. 5mg injections did not accomplish the same effect. 7.5mg sc injections twice daily helped but not as much as 4 per day. The results are just short of miraculous. I take a l.ot of necessary cofactors as well as these were developed over 6 years of healing everything else.
|

replied August 21st, 2011
Foot Drop Cure, HELP.
What type of doctor helped you with curing your foot drop? I have it from having a laser surgery on my spine to remove a tumor. Rods were put in my back from the neck to the tail bone. It has been 1 year and I wear a Bioness walk aid. It helps but I have sever chronic pain in my hip socket. I would love to find out more from you if possible. Thank goodness you are foot drop cured. I had given up that there was something that could be done. What type of doctor is he, where is he located and did insurance pay for your medication?
|

replied July 17th, 2012
Dear Friend,

I am having b12 deficiency since 2008, initially it took 8 months almost 21 nurologist to find out what was wrong with my dizzyness. However, by the time i was diagonised with b12 deficiency my entire body was weighless and i couldn't even feel 1mg weigh of my body it seems b12 had played havoc and attacked my nervous system. I was give shot and i could stand but dizzyness wasn't going. it took 1 year get rid of dizzyness. my symtoms come back if injection is delayed with lot of experiment i come to understand that i need 1 shot of injection b12 every 15 days. lately since 1 month i am feeling my legs weak and unable to walk easily. on of the GP told me this problem is due to b12 deficiency and recomended to get physiotherapy i am waiting for the insurance approval. After reading your comment i understand do i need to increase my dose as suggested by you. Your response is much appreciated.

Regards
Keshav
|

User Profile
replied June 24th, 2009
foot drop i"m scared
33 year old mom of three, went in for l5 s1 disc herniation repair, dr told my husband all went well, we removed the bulge and calisification, I awoke from surgery scared to death screaming i could not feel my right leg, foot. sat in the hospital for 12 days post surgery, kept asking for info, whats wrong and why
all i got was a brace from ortho no explaination from anyone, a nurse told me it was foot drop, could not answer what cause was or what treatment was. it has been 14 days and i am scared!!!! i cant dress myself, walk, move or take care of my kids, i feel so alone, will i ever walk again if i can't feel anything in the foot?
|

replied February 4th, 2012
drop foot
I had my 3rd chil november 2008 i got drop foot straight after giving birth. I had an 8 year old and a one year old aswell as a new born baby to look after.I couldnt walk dress myself properly put shoes on and couldnt even keep a shoe on my foot, It was horrible and scary.Even now 3 years later i still have numbness right down my left leg and my foot drags now and again when im walking. Even though this is a pain in the arse its so much better now, so you can get yourself mobile again dont be scared,you have got to make yourself walk again keep moving it. Hope this makes you feel better x Hayley ,Liverpool.
|

replied February 4th, 2012
drop foot
I had my 3rd chil november 2008 i got drop foot straight after giving birth. I had an 8 year old and a one year old aswell as a new born baby to look after.I couldnt walk dress myself properly put shoes on and couldnt even keep a shoe on my foot, It was horrible and scary.Even now 3 years later i still have numbness right down my left leg and my foot drags now and again when im walking. Even though this is a pain in the arse its so much better now, so you can get yourself mobile again dont be scared,you have got to make yourself walk again keep moving it. Hope this makes you feel better x Hayley ,Liverpool.
|

replied April 2nd, 2012
Hi scared1016, Don't panic. Some time will pass and then you will know how severe. Mine was August 2011 and I am with out brace and walking April 2012.Check out walkaid. I learned about it today and am trying to get an appointment.
|
Quick Reply