Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

I Lied to the Therapist Becuase I Was Embarassed

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
I'm not sure, but about 2 years ago I thinki started getting depressed. You would never know if you met me, i'm friendly and dont talk about my feeling all that much. My friends never knew, and I did cut myself sometimes, but on my knees and places where people wouldnt see. The other times I would get on an all time high and would be super super hyper. I mean like screaming in class and laughing at nothing. I have a lot of problems with getting annoyed, like at small noises and things. My mom and my brother bot hhave bipolar so she took me to the therapist. Well I really dont like people feeling sorry for me or it seeming like I want attention, so when the therapist asked me questions I answered dishonestly. It wouldve been fine if it was just him but my mom was in there and I felt uncomfortable infront of her. The more important questions like if I had ever thought about suicide and if I cried at night I told him no to. I did tell him about me getting randomly hyper, but I told him nothing about my depression because I really didnt want to go to a rehibilitaion place and I didnt want my parents or friends to think badly of me. What is a way to see a therapist without telling my mom? Could I go to a school counselr, or would they say something? I know that im being really immature, but my family really thinks i'm perfectly happy and I dont want them to think otherwise, it would be really awkward. Im not even sure if I am bipolar but it just seemd like a lot of the things the therapist was saying fit what I felt. What can I do?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 30th, 2005
Hi there I know exactly how you feel. How old are you first off. Im sure if you are 16 or over you are entitled to some sort of privacy regarding your health, and im sure if you so your regular dr without telling your mum the dr would not be able to say anything.
Its taken me 2 years of talking regular with the dr to feel comfortable enough to tell her exactly what has been happening with regards to my mental health, but now its out in the open I feel so much better, like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.
My advise is to just be honest, the drs/mum/therapist are there to help you, not harm you.
Hope this helps.
|

replied January 2nd, 2006
Re: I Lied to the Therapist Becuase I Was Embarassed
simplyclassic31 wrote:
i'm not sure, but about 2 years ago I thinki started getting depressed. You would never know if you met me, i'm friendly and dont talk about my feeling all that much. My friends never knew, and I did cut myself sometimes, but on my knees and places where people wouldnt see. The other times I would get on an all time high and would be super super hyper. I mean like screaming in class and laughing at nothing. I have a lot of problems with getting annoyed, like at small noises and things. My mom and my brother bot hhave bipolar so she took me to the therapist. Well I really dont like people feeling sorry for me or it seeming like I want attention, so when the therapist asked me questions I answered dishonestly. It wouldve been fine if it was just him but my mom was in there and I felt uncomfortable infront of her. The more important questions like if I had ever thought about suicide and if I cried at night I told him no to. I did tell him about me getting randomly hyper, but I told him nothing about my depression because I really didnt want to go to a rehibilitaion place and I didnt want my parents or friends to think badly of me. What is a way to see a therapist without telling my mom? Could I go to a school counselr, or would they say something? I know that im being really immature, but my family really thinks i'm perfectly happy and I dont want them to think otherwise, it would be really awkward. Im not even sure if I am bipolar but it just seemd like a lot of the things the therapist was saying fit what I felt. What can I do?

hi and happy new year to you.
I think if you are more comfortable expresssing how you feel by writing it down on paper, rather than verbalizing how you feel, then that would be good. Better yet, why don't you copy or print out this post and just give it to your therapist to read.

You do not have to say anything, just give him or her your folded paper. Believe me, you will be understood.

You seem to have no problem expressing how you feel with us on this forum. Maybe it's because we can't see you, or we don't know who you are that makes you feel more at ease.

By given this post to your therapist, this may help your therapist to understand that you are not comfortable expressing your feeling with him, or her during counseling section. S/he may take your discomfort into consideration, perhaps s/he may choose a different method in helping you.
|