Medical Questions > Abortion > Medical Abortion Forum

Abortion Pill Vs. Surgical Removal (Page 1)

Must Read
A D&C is a standard procedure. But it can be scary when you don't know what to expect. Learn about what happens during dilation and curettage to prepare yoursel...
Dilation and curettage, or D & C for short, is a procedure that is used to diagnose and treat a number of womens health conditions. What are some goals of a D a...
A D&C usually is free of problems, and the recovery period for the procedure is short. But knowing about possible complications can help you detect problems ea...
Hi,

i go to the clinic tomorrow. I will be exactly 6 weeks pregnant since conception on november 17th.

Supposedly, at 6 weeks, I have either option--the pill or the surgery. I'm wondering if anybody can share their experiences with me regarding which one they chose, and if you would recommend it as the better method.

For those of you who took the pill, was it as painful as its made out to be?
If I choose this method, will the actual abortion not occur until I take the second pill 24 hours later? Will I leave the clinic feeling okay until the second pill is inserted?

Please comment! I go tomorrow and I feel so uninformed/confused... :(
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper V_star
|

replied December 28th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
I have had 1 abortion by pill, and 2 surgical. Surgical is painless because you can be put to sleep. If not , then it will be very crampy, but it is overwith in 3-5 minutes. The abortion by pill for me was painful, ad I personally reccomend surgical. Abortion by pill takes a few days to complete, while surgical is done and over with.
|

replied December 29th, 2005
carifairy wrote:
i have had 1 abortion by pill, and 2 surgical. Surgical is painless because you can be put to sleep. If not , then it will be very crampy, but it is overwith in 3-5 minutes. The abortion by pill for me was painful, ad I personally reccomend surgical. Abortion by pill takes a few days to complete, while surgical is done and over with.

i really prefer the surgical method, but i'm only 5 weeks in since my last period, and 6 since conception, and I don't think that's late enough for it.

I keep hearing all these pill horror stories, and it is freaking me out! =(

but I don't think I can bear being pregnant any longer than I have to... And just letting the zygote develop more so I can then abort it seems even more than just initially aborting it as soon as possible.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Many clinics will abort at 4 weeks, some at 3 weeks. Ccheck out that website and find out if a clinic nearby will do it early :)
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Carifairy excuse me for being nosy but why you had 3 abortions? Was all 3 iud failures?
|

replied December 30th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
I became pregnant on an iud yes, it is very rare, and it had actually displaced without my knowledge. I do trust the iud, but it can displace. I had another one inserted on dec 15, paragard. My old iud mirena displaced, and I actually was going to have it removed because of the hormonal problems it caused me. I cannot use hormonal birth control, I suffer from severe depression. When I am on b.C. My mood swings, and I need so much more meds that the side effects are horrible. I got pregnant on the pill once, iud once, and I was using fertility awareness for awhile. My man and I were drinking a little on new years, and I forgot to use protection. I ovulated the next day, so I knew to use a sponge. I did not.
|

replied January 1st, 2006
carifairy wrote:
i became pregnant on an iud yes, it is very rare, and it had actually displaced without my knowledge. I do trust the iud, but it can displace. I had another one inserted on dec 15, paragard. My old iud mirena displaced, and I actually was going to have it removed because of the hormonal problems it caused me. I cannot use hormonal birth control, I suffer from severe depression. When I am on b.C. My mood swings, and I need so much more meds that the side effects are horrible. I got pregnant on the pill once, iud once, and I was using fertility awareness for awhile. My man and I were drinking a little on new years, and I forgot to use protection. I ovulated the next day, so I knew to use a sponge. I did not.

i'm thinking of getting an iud put in because I have the same problems with birth control--but did you say above that it also has hormoes? I thought an iud was not hormonal at all? Would you recommend it to me if I have severe problems with birth control due to mood swings/depression when i'm on it?
|

replied January 2nd, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Paragard is non hormonal yay!!! Loving it!
|

User Profile
replied January 2nd, 2006
Advanced Support Team
Just remember to be careful because you could get pregnant on an iud as well. It is just like any other b/c, and 2 of my friends have become pregnant .. Good luck to you in whatever you decide
|

replied January 5th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
redheaded22 wrote:
i'm thinking of getting an iud put in because I have the same problems with birth control--but did you say above that it also has hormoes? I thought an iud was not hormonal at all? Would you recommend it to me if I have severe problems with birth control due to mood swings/depression when i'm on it?
if you are 22 as your screen name suggests, best of luck in finding a doctor who will put in an .I.U.D for you. All of the doctor's that I have seen have refused because I am relatively young and have not had any children. Since an .I.U.D is supposed to be long term birth control, many doctor's will not insert one for a woman who is young or has not had any children. The only exception that I have actually seen is a woman who had so many health problems that a pregnancy would kill her (probably before she ever found out she was pregnant).

As cari said, an .I.U.D can displace. Our clinic director had an abortion because her .I.U.D displaced. In fact, the fetus started developing around the .I.U.D and became more of a tumor than a fetus by the time she could obtain the abortion.
|

replied January 5th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Planned parenthood will do iuds..
I had my first one at 21..
|

User Profile
replied January 6th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
I had my iud done at 20 years old and it made me cramp, a year later I had to get an abortion due to the iud being in the fetus' head, the dr said it would not make it long anyway. All b/c has it's ups and downs and we are all different it is just what you are happy with, has anyone heard of that new b/c ring that is out? We will still have sex and their will still be abortion legal or not.
I would go for the surgical abortion.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Only the older iuds caused uterine problems.Iud's nowadays are flexible.
|

Experienced User
I think the iud is so unnatural.

Carifairy, no offense, but do you realize that in your 3rd abortion you were completely irresponsible? I myself have been guilty of that 6 million times, but it should not have been taken out on an innocent baby.

I'm sorry that you have severe depression. I am surprised that the abortions, especially 3 (!!), do not worsen it. Just seems people with depression would not be able to handle such an altering life event.

??
|

replied January 7th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
My mom is bi polar.. It is genetic, I have taken meds since I was 12, I am perfectly stable, I just happen to not want a baby. Having an abortion never made me depressed, being born with a chemical imbalance did. I have not been depressed for many many years, but I still technically suffer from depression... It's a lifelong diagnoses. I am great though, I am glad that society does not stigmatize medication as much as it used to.
|

replied November 14th, 2006
Tomorrow I am having a non surgical abortion and i'm alittle worried to but its more practical for me since I live 2 hrs from the clinic and I dont have anyone to drive me to and from if I have a medical one, since they recommend that since you are "put under." I guess I just wanted to say good luck on your visit to the clinic and whatever you decide, as long as it's your decision it'll be the right one.
Good luck
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
sunshine424 wrote:
i think the iud is so unnatural.

Carifairy, no offense, but do you realize that in your 3rd abortion you were completely irresponsible? I myself have been guilty of that 6 million times, but it should not have been taken out on an innocent baby.

I'm sorry that you have severe depression. I am surprised that the abortions, especially 3 (!!), do not worsen it. Just seems people with depression would not be able to handle such an altering life event.

??
you mean innocent fetus???

Btw it is a support forum were not here to bash people who have abortion!
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
pretttybaby_gurl wrote:
tomorrow I am having a non surgical abortion and i'm alittle worried to but its more practical for me since I live 2 hrs from the clinic and I dont have anyone to drive me to and from if I have a medical one, since they recommend that since you are "put under." I guess I just wanted to say good luck on your visit to the clinic and whatever you decide, as long as it's your decision it'll be the right one.

Good luck

this thread is really old - if you look at the date at the top of the first post it is dec 2005 or something like that so either the original poster has a baby now or, more likely, had her abortion a long time ago.

Just letting you know in case you wondered why she didn't respond Wink
|

replied November 15th, 2006
Oh thank you.
|

replied May 7th, 2010
Pill Vs Surgical
I have had the surgical and the pill. The pill i did just recently. It is not as bad as some of these people make it out. The bad thing about the pill is that it is very time consuming. One day you take the pill at the medical office which your there for like 2 hrs. And then 24 hrs later u let these four aweful tasting tablets dissolve in your mouth. which takes like 45 min to totally dissolve... 2 hrs after you initially put the tablets in your mouth you will start the miscarriage process(maybe different for others) it will be like cramps that come n go on a pain scale of maybe a 4. and then when the miscarriage takes place you will have about three - five minutes of a really sharp cramps on the pain scale of a 6 or a 7... then when u go to the bathroom youll feel it pass through. and you will have a very heavy period for a day it will get lighter the second day and then within the third day it will be like a medium period for like a week. The surgery you dont really cramp at all and in four hours everything is over with and you do not need to do follow up two week apt. I would suggest the surgery if you are 7 weeks or above.. its alot less hassell and stressful. Not to mention with the pill your constantly worried and scared like what if it doesnt work.. then youd have to either repeat the process or have the surgical! well anyways i hope this helps for any of you who read the other comments and started freaking out that its going to be terribly painful and scary. its not. i unfortunately had the apt on a tuesday and had the misscariage at 1:30 pm at work... So believe me when i say its not that bad... it does hurt a lil but not gut wrenching pain or anything..I thought that i would post this cause when i was going through the pill process i googled the pill vs the surgical and read all these terrifying comments on how bad it was going to be. so i figured that if someone else who was like me and came across this article and were wondering the same things that i wanted to know.. the difference between the two,and the pros and cons and how bad it was. Then this is for you...good luck
|
12 >>