Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Very Itchy Skin, But No Rash (Page 1)

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
For the past month or so, every evening I start itching all over, but show no signs of any kind of rash. It starts with my feet, and goes just about everywhere. It gets so severe that i'm actually drawing blood from all the itching, and am able to get very little sleep. Topical benedryl doesn't help, but I have found that if I take benedryl tablets each evening before the itching bouts hit, I stay itch-free, but I don't want to have to rely on pills forever! I don't appear to have dry skin... (i've started using unpurfumed lotion all over, I sleep with a humidifier going in the room, as well as one attached to the furnace for the entire house), i'm not taking any new medications, no new shoes, and no new laundry detergent or bath soap. I can't imagine that it's nerves, as there are no new crisies in my life. I do have type 2 diabetes, however, and consequently have had more than my share of vaginal yeast infections, although I haven't been bothered by them for a couple of months. Could this be some form of yeast infection that's now attacking the rest of my body? Is it some strange form of neuropathy due to diabetes? Can anyone out there give me some advice on what on earth is causing this pesky affliction, and how to rid myself of it?!?!? All responses welcomed!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper CM7
|
Users who thank moestew for this post: ItchySue47  M_sufferer 

replied December 26th, 2003
Extremely eHealthy
Blood pressure, hormonal changes (male or female) & many other things can cause this as well as a temperature which you might get only at night associated with some "bug" you're anaware of.

Check with a dr especially in case it is related in any way at all to the diabetes!!!!

I would also check out alternative & natural therapies for "itchy skin".

I suffer from itchy skin in my head every night - I too draw blood - yet the next morning neither the dr nor I can find any sign of anything not even scabs, this has been going on for several months & I can only shudder to imagine what it must be like to have it all over.

Good luck
|

replied March 13th, 2009
I have a spot on my right heel, and spots on both thighs, that have itched for years! The skin looks perfectly normal. NOTHING otc has helped, and neither have any prescriptions that various doctors and dermatologists have offered me. On my heel, I have tried blistering agents, injections, creams, soaks, lasers, and still it itches. With all three spots, the itch is much deeper than surface irritation. The best relief I have found comes from capzaisin cream, which burns, but at least it feels proactive. It seems to ameliorate the itch without really healing, but at least I'm not doing more damage by continual scratching. A VERY aggravating problem. I am otherwise healthy and active.
|

replied January 24th, 2014
drink lots of water-I itched from top to toe except for my face .
I was in tears, couldn't sleep,
out of desperation I had around 8 glasses of water per day , never been bothered since
|

replied March 20th, 2009
itch no rash help
I started to itch on my palms, feet some legs little on arms and wrist and eyes some back of neck and back not as much as hands and feet. I have been taking oxycodone for 2 years now everyday same dose for spine injury but I don't think that is it. But I have been feeling really stressed can that make you itch without a rash? It seems the more I think about it the more I itch I guess or am I making up excuses. Need answers please anyone
|

replied October 12th, 2011
Hi
I have put this on a reply before today , but what cured me was drinking more water. this did work like a miracle.
|
Users who thank wilkinson for this post: gaudet 

replied December 30th, 2012
are you still having the skin issue? I went through the same thing and the sad part is that I found the cure that my own doctors couldn't figure out . take a really hot bath with two cups of sea salt for 5 nights in a row. email me for more questions
|

replied April 2nd, 2009
itch with no rash after birth
I started to itch all over my body, particularly worse on my feet. I have been to the doctor who first prescribed creams and soaks however this did not work. I appear to have normal looking skin it doesnt seem dry, and never has been before i got pregnant.I then went to another doctor for a second oppinion she prescribed allergy pills and steriod tablets, this has eased a little, but then some nights is unbearable, then i have to get up to a new born.This is so frustrating for myself and my partner,i sometimes just cry myself to sleep, it is making me so un happy i want my skin back. Please any suggestions HELP!
|

replied September 11th, 2011
ITCHING ALL OVER
I too was in tears and unable to sleep, I itched all over except my face, I had no rash.
I went to the doctors, I was given E45 itching relief cream and Atarax tablets to take 1 per night as these did help me sleep a little better.
I did notice my wee was dark so I had a thought that if I flush out my system with water it would clear any toxins in my body.
I was drinking over a period of a day approx 8 glasses of water and wow after even 1 day the itching was a little better, after 2 days even better still.after only a few days I could drop my medication as the itching had gone except for a little itch here and there.
The E 45 cream is a help but the water is a miracle.
hope this helps anyone who has this distressing condition
|

replied September 11th, 2011
ITCHING ALL OVER
I too was in tears and unable to sleep, I itched all over except my face, I had no rash.
I went to the doctors, I was given E45 itching relief cream and Atarax tablets to take 1 per night as these did help me sleep a little better.
I did notice my wee was dark so I had a thought that if I flush out my system with water it would clear any toxins in my body.
I was drinking over a period of a day approx 8 glasses of water and wow after even 1 day the itching was a little better, after 2 days even better still.after only a few days I could drop my medication as the itching had gone except for a little itch here and there.
The E 45 cream is a help but the water is a miracle.
hope this helps anyone who has this distressing condition
|

replied April 6th, 2009
Very Itchy Skin, But No Rash
For months now, I have extreme itching all over my body. It is worse in the evening. Have been to regluar MD's and dematologist. Have had several steroid treatments which help but the itching returns within days of stopping steroid meds. I have tried every
OTC cream possible. Blood tests show nothing. Skin is a mess because of itching. Do not know what to do.
|

replied April 7th, 2009
Itchy Skin
I have found certain food additives in the evening cause intense itching that moves around my body but no rash. Foods that contain maltodextrin seems to be the worst.
|

replied April 11th, 2011
My daughter's feet got puffed up and itchy (with no rash) on Saturday night. This was not the first time. When you said maltodextrin, I looked up the ingredients in the Breyer's Heath Toffee Ice Cream, which we bought that afternoon and she ate that night. I looked up the flavors we'd had in prior weeks also (Cookies & Cream and Chocolate/Vanilla/Strawberries) when she wasn't having this problem, and neither of them have maltodextrin. Thanks to you, I may have just discovered the culprit!
|

User Profile
replied May 22nd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Someone on another post suggested that this may be Erythromelalgia. Look up the symptoms and see if they fit.

I have this just on my feet at night, but it's like the worst itch possible. I found that scratching makes it worse. I know it's really hard not to scratch, but don't. Don't even touch where it itches. It will go away faster if you leave it alone. Besides, the wounds you are making can get infected. If you read about it, it says the main complications are infections from scratching and frost bite (more on that later).

My doctor told me to stretch out my Achilles tendons because this helps stop the nerves from spasming or something (he'd never heard of the condition). The stretching does help. I also put on a ton of oatmeal-based lotion (I can't say what kind, because I'd be advertising, but you can find it) and put light socks on over it to keep it on.

Make sure everything you use is hypoallergenic. "Fragrance free" isn't good enough.

Also, keep the area that itches cool. I don't itch if my feet are cold (they have to be outside of the covers at all times). But don't dunk it in ice water or anything like that. People with this condition have gotten frost bite trying to stop the itch this way. Plus, I've found that if you try to get the area too cold, blood just rushes to the area and makes it hotter anyway.

I hope this gives some people some answers. Unfortunately, I haven't found any cures for this. If anyone finds anything, please PM me or repost here.
|
Users who thank MyrahU for this post: Landuse2 

replied June 16th, 2009
I have had the horrible itchy leg thing for over six months and then suddenly this week it has spread to the tops of my hands, face and behind ears. There is no obvious rash. It also creates little bumps after it starts itching but disappears soon after it calms down. It comes in waves. Very intense itching. I am under stress at work but really hate that answer. No lotion helps. I have purchased them all. I am freaking out that it is spreading. I also have nosebleeds frequently for no apparent reason. I put ice packs on the itchy legs and hands to stop the insanity. It does help to know that I not the only one suffering but it would be great if we could figure out what is causing it.
|

User Profile
replied June 16th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
If you are having bumps when this happens, take pictures of them (if the can come out on film) and take them to a dermatologist. Maybe that will help his diagnosis.
|
Users who thank MyrahU for this post: lizard148 

replied July 27th, 2009
I too have been having the itching. Mine started about 8 months ago. I'm a healthy fit 37 year old male and noticed in the evening my lower legs started to itch a little. Then it got worse and worse to where now it can start anywhere for a few minutes and stop only to start up again somewhere else. My only comfort has been half a pill of Wal-Mart brand Zyrtec every other day. This makes if manageable. I saw the dermatologist already?? Waist of time now I see the allergist tomorrow… Has anyone out there found a cause..it seems there is a lot of this going on and no answers….
|

replied September 6th, 2009
I have suffered with intense itching, followed by tiny pimple bumps soon after the itching begins ( like another person has mentioned in post) And my doctor told me it is an allergy. To what? I have no idea, and the doctor has not done any further follow ups on my condition. Hope this helps anyone a little, just to know what these symptoms are.
|

replied October 30th, 2009
Itchy skin, no rash- add me to the mix!
This has been the most helpful thing yet. I started this itchy, no rash thing in August 2004. It is from elbow, up the arm, across the shoulders, down to the other elbow. Heat/sweat from working out makes it worse-- my moles get pretty 3D too.

Finally I saw a Derm in Sept. 07... he gave me some anti-anxiety pill which helped. But now, it is worse.

This new Derm (who said I was on the brink of excema) gave me some cream that will help the pH balance, but still nothing. I have been under stress from the first episode-- starting life after college, finding news jobs every year, loss of a sibling... but still! This is annoying.

When it keeps me awake, it makes the next day so long!

I was told to go get blood drawn for checking my red blood count, liver and thyroid... you think it is worth it?
|

replied November 22nd, 2009
Itchy/no rash, what do I do?
I am 18 yrs old just yesterday I became super itchy it's driving me insane I don't know what to do I'm crying all day and night it it so unbelieveably uncomfortabe abd annoying I have no bumps no rash it's mostly on my feet, I don't know if it's a circulation problem I am 104 lbs and I'm about 5'11" I itch on my legs on my arms my palms what is wrong with me there is abdolutley no relief. Any one with answers,?
|

replied December 5th, 2009
I too am suffering from unexplained itching. it started a couple nights ago - my hands itched so bad - literally woke me up in the middle of the night and i was scratching them so bad that they were almost raw - finally got to sleep and woke up the next morning and there were no signs I had been itching. Now here it is 215 in the morning a couple days after the first episode and my feet and half of my calves itch really bad. I actually had to get out of bed as to not to disturb my husband sleeping. like some of the other posts - I just want to cry the itching is so intense.....i have done the cold thing as well as the hot thing.....

have not been to the doc yet as this just started but i do have some other leg "issues" that I need to check into as well - maybe it is all related...i have severe numbing/tingling type pain in my left thigh up near my hip - seems to get worse with walking and then sharp stabbing pain in the left thigh
any suggestions on what could be going on would be greatly appreaciated

Thanks
|

replied December 15th, 2009
sore itchy skin no rash feels like sunburn
hi dieselchk, i am in exactly the same boat as you i have been like this on an off for a year or so, my left leg near the top is sore it feels sunburnt and i do also suffer siactica but this burnin itchy feelin is driving me mad, i have been to the doctors he seem to think its all part of my illness (depression) but i am feelin better in myself and not stressed or anxious as i was may be it is a nerve thing im really not sure is there any one with any suggestions for us, thank you
|

replied December 18th, 2009
Itching finally gone!!!
Hi I am Jamiejamiejamie, when I was itching like that I let it go on for one more day to where I was going crazy and finally went to the er. I told him what was going on that I was tching but there was no rashes or marks, he told me that I mightve had an allergic reaction to the peanuts I ate the exact day it started, apparently you could develope allergies to peanuts even after eating them all of my life, so he gave me a benedryl shot then he prescribed me prednisone and vistaril. It helped I'm not itching like that anymore but I now have very very sensitive skin, that I have never had before.
|

replied December 18th, 2009
itchy burning skin
hi jamiejamiejamie,
great to hear from you glad you got your problem sorted out, sounds interesting!! as i have been eating lots of mixed nuts lately ermmmm will see how i go on when i give up the nuts lol before i go even more nuts !!!
|

replied December 28th, 2009
Itching All Over - back of knees, arms, chest, groin, etc.
You Guys: First try changing your diets. Check all food additives and make a record. Try pulling stuff from your diet to which you think you may have a reaction (based on general allergy info). Also, don't bleach your sheets or underwear - the chlorine could have an effect on your skin. Also, check your medications - if you are taking anti-depressants or anti-cholesterol pills - try a different prescription. Get your blood tested, particularly re liver and kidney functions. Drink a lot of water (non-bottled but well filtered).

Good luck.
|

replied January 2nd, 2010
No sleep due to intense itching.
Up again itching..have been for two months now.Mine started on my feet...I thought it was an insect bite, but its now on my hands, groin and under my boobs. As all of you, I cry or want to scream. I'm now 19 weeks pregnant. So I thought it must be related., but the midwife doubted it and and sent me to my Gp. I've tried an anti fungal cream and now a full treatment for scabies. That treatment said that it might take up to 4 weeks for the itching to stop so I have had to wait....but at three in the morning I honestly think of cutting my feet off!!!The pain seems preferable to the itching!!! Thing is that in the day you try to convey this and people and they say oh it doesnt look that bad! PLEASE help! Is it hormonal, is my liver shot or should I try the scabies treatment again?

Help! LC in England.x
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
User Profile