Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Numbness In Hands

My hands (usually) right lately have been numb after sleeping. Occassionally my feet after sitting or sleeping a bit sitting up.
What does the doctor generally tell you?
I am afraid of surgery (it might be ok if I was awake) & I am also afraid of the blood test.
I do have a problem w/ being nervous but have just lived w/ it w/out any medicine or anything.
I am 40.
I think my right arm looks swollen (i did 20 years ago) but others (family) say it looks fine.
I know everyone will say see a doctor but I dont have 1 & am very scared.
What have they told you others here to do (w/ similar symptons)?
Pills, surgery?
I know I sound like a baby but I cant help it. I hate it. Please reply.
Thanks. Tom
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile BenjaminCraft
|

replied May 16th, 2006
Any luck getting to the root of the nervy problem? I know what you mean, it bothers me too. But finding out the cause seems almost impossible. I hate it too. I've been waking up numb for well over a year. Very strange feeling.
|

replied February 8th, 2009
numbsness in my hands
my hands stay numb in my left hand i was worlding what it was caused by
|

replied October 29th, 2011
it is my first 3 fingers of my right hand
|

replied March 30th, 2009
waking with hand numbness
I had a massage on my shoulders/arms and seemed he primarily worked in the arm pits and my numbness was gone for a week!
|

User Profile
replied August 22nd, 2009
Severe Numbing of the Hands when I wake up.
Since I have been really young, I have been waking up to numb hands off and on. Sometimes it is just tingly and others they are so numb that I cannot move or feel them... they are cold and almost seem dead. This bothers me. Is there a possible point to where I could lose the use for good?.. Usually with this issue, if I position them to get the circulation back, I regain full use of them. But they seem to be getting worse and more frequent.
|

replied May 29th, 2010
Numb hands
See a Chiropractic.
My mom has this problem and seems like I inhereted also. What really helped me and I haven't had this problem for at least 3 years now since my last visit to the chiropractic. Find a good one though. The treatment of 5 sessions adjusted some of segments of my spinal comlumn. It doesn't hurt and I actually enjoyed the massage. Based on my personal experience I would highly recommend it.
Hope it'll help. I know how it feels waking up in the morning with "useless, swollen and numb hands".
|

replied March 5th, 2011
Some times at night I feel numbness my left hand in my sleeping time. and while i wake up I see my hand already as like as dead then I up my left back side and I feel blood is passing quickly in my hand. after some times I feel normal. on the other hand if I put on tight ( not too much) dress I feel discomfort in my left back side.
|

replied July 10th, 2011
Re: numbsness in my hands
It may be spondylitis I've did research on this as I have the same problem, mine occurs at night when I sleep then wakes me up. I have sever panic attakcs as well, which can also cause numbness.
|

replied January 2nd, 2012
hand numbness
It could be carpal tunnel for the one who had the 3 fingers, the whole arms could be spinal problems or more likely thoracic outlet syndrome. Massage. Therapy is especially helpful for thoracic outlet syndrome or tos. There are different types of tos so you should read up on it. Just because one dr insists you don't have it see a different dr. I was told I didn't have it because they did a venogram.U could have arterial or neurological froms of tos. It means 3 things could be pinched your veins your arteries and your nerves. Most common is the nerves. Mine is intermitant so my hands somy hands are cold and I can not lift them above chest. My arms feel dead at night and cramp during day. On emg it looks like carpal tunnel butI had tha that surgery a couple years ago. I have confirmed my diagnosis with thoracic sugeons at froedert hospital in Milwaukee. Wi also a cardiologist at the wisconsin hear hospita anda neurosurgeon at st lukes Milwaukee Wi Most cases they will order specialphysical therapy, massage therapy, muscle relaxers. They can usually tell just by a physical exam if you have this. Severe cases may need surgery but thatg is very rare. I need the surgery on both sides but have not yeet done it. I just wanted to share the info to those that were looking read up on the subject because most doctors won't know about it or for some reason think it is not possible but I'm proof it is. Oh another problem I have is my hands go numb when I use them like now or on phone brushing hair blowing. Hair dry driving..its real annoying and of course when I try to sleep. If it sounds like u. Read up. Regards.
|

replied January 14th, 2012
what are you to do when you don't know what to do can someone tell me is there any kind of hand exersize to do if so what are they thank you playface2
|

replied January 14th, 2012
numbness in hands
You really should see a dr & they could rule out cardiac or emergent issues. The dr could order the appropriate physical or occupational therapy for your condition. A chiropractor is also an option but they usually want to adjust you.I don't remember the slew of exercises they gavee cuz I had mult. Issues. I do remember the shoulder shrug. You just raise your shoulders like u r shrugging them. GThis actually loosens up the tight muscles up in your neck. Depending on what type problem you are having you can google physical therapy exercises for: they put them on line but you didn't say what had. Been goin on. I wish you the best and hope you sgtart feeling better. It is a terrible feeling to know something is wrong and not know what to do to fix it.
|

replied April 13th, 2012
numb and tingling hands upon waking
When you sleep try and keep your hands above heart level, I use an extra pillow to lay and stretch out my arms on while on my side to keep them above heart level. If they stay that way during sleep I don't wake up with numb and tingling hands.
|

replied July 14th, 2012
i have been waking up to numbness in my right hand alot. i find that if i limit my use of the cell phone it helps alot.
|