Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Feeling of Temporary Insanity

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I'm a well educated male in good shape, 19 years old, and it all started with a presumably panic attack a few months ago. It was partly triggered by smoking pot, and it led to an extreme bad trip where I believed to have had a heart attack.

My life up until this point has never been the same. I am nearly convinced that I have anxiety, and the doctor feels the same. My life simply feels out of place, that i'm not the same person.

Every time i've tried smoking again, i've bad tripped and had a panic attack, my heart begins to beat at a remarkable pace and I get terribly scared. Perhaps cognitive reinforcement got the worst of me, anyways i'm kind of grateful because i've quit that lifestyle, but i'm left with one that is of an equal if not worse destructive nature.

I constantly fear not so much dying (although I do), but reality in itself, and thinking I have heart problems. I used to think I had something going on in my throat, yet I had an endoscopy and the results were fine, so the worry I suppose has shifted towards my chest. I know that it's anxiety, i've done my research properly, yet the physical symptoms are still very present regardless of my physical state.

I'm going to ask the doctor for a spirometer test, I believe my asthma may be recurring from my child hood as it occasionally does at my age. Perhaps the breathing is an actual causing of asthma, and it brings up excessive worrying about life, and begins a mudslide of anxiety.

I want to get back to my normal happy self again, I never used to worry or dwell about such things before. Some times I hear a song in my head over and over and over again, sleeping has become a chore as my thoughts ramble too fast that I can process. I've always been that way, people could never keep up with my train of thought, yet I always seemed to channel these thoughts in a positive manner.

This has been going on for about 3-4 months now, and I believe to have tackled the disorder accordingly, yet my thoughts are still extremely fearful at times. Anyone have anything to say in regards to this situation? Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper 311sandwich
|

replied December 26th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
This happened to me, I was 29 years old. I had one anxiety trip---quit smoking pot. I was constant user for 11 years and used a little for 2 yrs before that. .God had to help me quit cuz I couldnt do it on my own. I absolutely loved my pot.

Anyway, it was new years and 2 of my friends gave me pot and crank to babysit. I remember getting high and I thought I was having a heart attack. I called 911, and she talked me out of the anxiety attack I was in---thank .God I would not wish that on anyone---it feels so real. Like the lie is the truth. Scared the shyt outta me. The pot I had flushed, the speed I had(dint even do any) I flushed. Never looked back.

The same thing happened to my son, he did speed when he had his episodes and it did effect his heart, but the anxiety was worse than the heart palpitaions. He had to quit speed for good. And he quit pot most of the time.
|

Ex Weed Smoker
Hi guys im a 19 years old and I to have recently quit what was a regular habit of smoking weed. I have since been left with anxiety attacks headachs the shakes, twitches all over my body and insomnia. I've become so concerened about my health I rushed myself to a doctor at a and e and confessed my pot smoking to him as I feared it had caused somthing serious to happen to me. Hopefully this stress and anxiety will pass and I have no regrets about quiting, in a way I feel maby this feels so bad right now because the weed was always covering it up slightly but now im dealing with it myself. I just wish it would hurry and leave me im driving friends and family insane with my constant worry over my health and half the time feel like i'm losing grip on reality.
Best wishes to you both xxx
|

Same Here
When I was 18, 3 years ago, I had a similar episode after smoking pot in which I was sure I was either dying or going crazy, and I also havent felt the same since. I more than anything feared that I had a mental/emotional problem because i'm a male, and I always thought I was mentally strong. I wish I had some great advice, but you're not alone. Take care
|

replied December 27th, 2005
Experienced User
Panic Attacks
Hey I just read yuore post and thats exacly what happened to me after I quit smoking weed and the funy thing is ,is that im from montreal too.
Anyways as for m ive been stressed out for like a week and a half because everyday since 2 weeks ago about,ever hour or 2 I seem to get a thump in my throat when I take a deep breath, everyone around me says its due to my anxiaty but as all of you know people like us never belive it.Its been tuff these last 2 or 3 months and I dont realy know why I used to deal with these attacks real well for the last 6 years but for some reason the last 3 months is just awfull attack after attack and constat fear of other attacks.Im thinking of starting cogintive therapy im hoping that will help.Medication dint work I took it 3 days and it flipped me out so I dont wanna touch it anymore,if anxiaty can be fixed be therapie and changing the way you react to things then that means that medication is just a cover up for the time being until you get to the root of the problem im I right? .Plus no offence to anyone in here but it seems some people get addited to these pills anyways have a goodday
|

replied December 27th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
I would not wish anxiety attacks like that on anyone. Like I said it happened to me 1 time, and when my son was going thru them it was terrible.

You totally believe the lie!!!! It feels so real your body responds to it.
|

replied March 4th, 2010
first i wiuld say that say thanx to god as u r one of a few people whom he granted with a gift a gift called anxiety neurosis not every one can feel a panic attack.not everyone can feel his heart pounding like it would come out of ur body in just a few seconds u should be grateful to him as now u can manage the worst to worst situation alone.you might also sometimes get a false feeling of insanity now nsee bits so good being a normal man u can feel what an insane feels like.....basically i want to tell u that just think positive balwayz and quit heavy exercises if u r into it as it produces lactic acid which gets stored into ur body and tends to increase your anxiety .what you should do is just a walk of aroud 30 mins a day n ull feel the difference in a couple of dayz just try it once n all the best
|

User Profile
replied April 12th, 2010
So...I am not alone in this?! I am a 19 year old male as well and had a horrible trip with marijuana. I was just getting into it really but I smoked so much and I heard this terrible ringing in my ears and I could hear my heartbeat like thunderous drums felt like I was having a heart attack. I didn't smoke anymore after that but I have been having horrible anxiety not as bad as before but I feel like im going insane. I used to be such a reasonable person I used to grasp reality so clearly but idk I cant stop thinking about everything I cant stop freaking myself out I felt like I had this handled but it wont go away...I need to see a doctor badly. Mixed with my suicidal depression its scaring me even more. A bit of me feels better knowing I wasn't the only one who experienced this. Im just so tired now lack of sleep because I think I have tinnitus now somehow...so many horror movie images popping into my head because I used to be a big horror movie buff but now its just freaking me out...I just want to break down and cry how could I have slipped so far...
|

replied November 2nd, 2010
Weed Anxiety Victim
Dude, I am the exact same way. I'm an 18 year old college male who has been smoking for the past 3 years, more or less. For the first 8 months or so, smoking weed was a genuinely enjoyable pleasure of mine and my friends. My grades in high school declined, parents were furious all of the time. This all caused me a tremendous amount of STRESS. Not to mention, I stopped playing sports which most definitely affected my physical health and my overall mental well-being. Ever since the weed started giving me insane panic attacks (paranoia, feeling EXTREMELY awkward around other people, body twitches, shallow breathing) i've been cautiously trying to get back into it every other month just to see if things might be changing. So far, the only times I am able to enjoy the positive effects of pot is when i'm drunk or when i only take 1 or 2 hits. Now i'm not suggesting that becoming a full-on pothead is something I desire, but I just want things to be back to normal. I want the comfort of knowing that I am on good terms with weed and experience the same effects as those around me. Best of luck mate
|

replied July 30th, 2012
Wow its good to know that I am not the only one who has had this and just know that there are probably others who have experienced this too who did not post on this site. I had a very bad experience eating hash brownies the first time where I felt scared paranoid, and had the feeling that I was having a heart attack. Since then I have slight anxiety and sometimes question my sanity. I have seeked medical help which i recommend to everyone because its good to just have someone who is a professional check up on you and have started medication. A good way to look at the situation (Ive found) is to just think positively and although you may feel down or scared just take deep breaths breathing in for 5 seconds, holding for 5 seconds, and breathing out for 5 seconds 10 times. That helped me out during my feelings of anxiety. Also no matter how negative the situation is find the positives.
|

replied July 30th, 2012
Wow its good to know that I am not the only one who has had this and just know that there are probably others who have experienced this too who did not post on this site. I had a very bad experience eating hash brownies the first time where I felt scared paranoid, and had the feeling that I was having a heart attack. Since then I have slight anxiety and sometimes question my sanity. I have seeked medical help which i recommend to everyone because its good to just have someone who is a professional check up on you and have started medication. A good way to look at the situation (Ive found) is to just think positively and although you may feel down or scared just take deep breaths breathing in for 5 seconds, holding for 5 seconds, and breathing out for 5 seconds 10 times. That helped me out during my feelings of anxiety. Also no matter how negative the situation is find the positives.
|

replied July 31st, 2012
i got paraniod and had hallucinations immediatly after stopping smoking weed for good, id get paraniod when i smoked but after i stopped i got bad. after a few months it mostly stopped though and just anxioaty. if u got a bad weed reaction its a good idea to stop i went on much longer than i should. but first months with no bud i think is hard. Check out buddhist philosophy.
|

replied September 4th, 2012
All of you should google DEPERSONALISATION DISORDER. It is brought on by both chronic stress and smoking weed. You get paranoid that you're insane, even as if you're not the person you were (or a person at all) its crazy but you get through it, and googling actually helps.
|