Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Emetophobia---fear of Others Vomiting (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I am so releived to know that there are others who suffer with this obsession and phobia. I need to know how to rid myself of it.

I am obsessed with concern that someone near me is going to throw up. If I am on an airplane, I watch the person next to me the whole flight in fear of him grabbing the sick bag.

If at a bar, I obsessively watch for really intoxicated bar patrons and make sure I stay far away becasue I am in fear they will vomit near me.

If I know someone has ben sick, I will not even get near them for weeks...Just beacuse I know they have vomited.

The worst part is, particularly when flying is I cannot get thoughts out of my head about the smell and the sounds. I literally have to tell myself to think of something else. Am I crazy or can someone help me?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper mchrisriv
|

replied October 8th, 2006
Hi !
Hi I am looking for people to come to my forum. I just created it today and it is for people who are afraid of vomit, wheather you fear someone else vomiting or fear yourself doing it, my site will be good for all. I am just trying to get the people I need now http://scaredtovomit.Myfastforum.Org/index .Php check it out and see what you thin of it, hopefully it will be of some help for you.
|

replied June 27th, 2011
Hi i am just like all of you i have been scared of other people puking all my life when someone coughs i always ask are you OK when i was younger i did not even sleep my room i slept on the ground in the living room i am scared to have kids because what if they get sick please help me!!!!
|

replied August 19th, 2011
I feel the same way. I ended up with the most pukingest kid ever. It's gross and I shake and feel nauseous myself when he is sick. I lay awake when he is showing signs. I Lysol everything if someone in his daycare has gotten sick. I can now handle his semi ok but still fear myself puking or any other person puking. You can do it if you really want kids but it is tough for sure!
|

replied October 18th, 2006
Hi I too suffer from this. One of my only 2 real phobias, this and worms.

I tried to go to the site but the link wont work??
|

replied December 14th, 2007
Re: Emetophobia---fear of Others Vomiting
kere2121 wrote:
I am so releived to know that there are others who suffer with this obsession and phobia. I need to know how to rid myself of it.

I am obsessed with concern that someone near me is going to throw up. If I am on an airplane, I watch the person next to me the whole flight in fear of him grabbing the sick bag.

If at a bar, I obsessively watch for really intoxicated bar patrons and make sure I stay far away becasue I am in fear they will vomit near me.

If I know someone has ben sick, I will not even get near them for weeks...Just beacuse I know they have vomited.

The worst part is, particularly when flying is I cannot get thoughts out of my head about the smell and the sounds. I literally have to tell myself to think of something else. Am I crazy or can someone help me?

Hello,
I have the same problem that you have. I tend to be most fearful in public restrooms. My heart starts racing and my cheeks turn bright red. How do you handle your fear ? It's nice to "meet" somebody else who faces the same problem.
|

replied July 21st, 2009
My experience
I am the same way. I just flew and made the person next to me take Dramamine (motion sickness medicine). I am a middle school teacher and my kids all now i have a fear of vomit and they are not allowed to cover their mouths in class (cause i become panicked they will vomit) and if they are feeling sick they have to sit with their book bag off by the door with the garbage can.

Movie theatres are bad but the worst is the subway (I live in ny) during rush hour especially during the summer when everyone is dehydrated. I can't stop staring at people trying to get some sort of cue that hey are ok (them laughing at something always relieves me a bit).

I recently went out to dinner with my bf and family and my bf was dehydrated and threw up twice in the bathroom before spending the evening in the car. I was at the table unable to eat or drink, pale and noticeably shaking from head to toe.
|

replied August 29th, 2009
I have the same problem as all of you do! I hate going on roadtrips with people unless i KNOW they do not get carsick, I am terrified of other people on rides at amusement parks and am constantly just watching everyones face trying to guage if they look sick, and also have an unconrollable fear of vomitting. I am 20, and have not vommited since I was 13, and can not remember the last time before that. I do not let myself throw up, even when I have food poisoning! my body tries to throw up, but I can somehow hold it in!I am very proud of this skill, however i would really like to get over my fear of other people vomitting. I also get extremely anxious if I een think i might feel a litle bit sick, and usually the nerves make me actually feel sick! I am also a germaphobe, and have some sort of mild OCD, so I wonder if these come hand in hand??
|

replied August 29th, 2009
Your not crazy, I have that phobia too! If someone gags my heart stops and I jump out of my seat. I plug my ears and make sure I can't hear anything! One time I ran to the end of my block because I could hear someone vomiting. I hate it!
|

replied September 24th, 2009
Hey
Yeh Im 18 years old and have Emeptophobia. With me, I feel really silly with it..I think because I cant really imagine many guys my age having this?...
Im always really carefull and sometimes it just gets to the the point where I cant enjoy a social situation. (E.g Dinner)But Im just trying to look at it as a part of nature and what happens happens and it honestly isnt as bad as you think. Fair enough this is easy to say but isnt always easy to have this as your mindset. especially when you're a bit anxious. There certain things that help calm me down or put my mind of thinking about the fear.
These are- listeing to melanchonic music (Iron and Wine- Upwards over the mountain) thinking of a fun past memory or doing something creative (like for me writing a song or lyrics to a song for my band)
breathing slowly and (prehaps corny) But believing in yourself that you ARE a STRONG person and everything will be fine..
Hope this helps.
Donald
|

replied October 15th, 2009
take this little pill.....
OMG this is so weird to see others like me. My doctor prescribed me "Ativan" I think that is what it is called, but same pronunciation. It really helps. I did not believe it until I tried it and wow, it has changed my life a lot. It takes about 30 mins to kick in, which is hard but when it does you are on cloud 9. I have also taken it for MY nausea and it worked great especially with my nerves around vomiting. Also you can take it before going on a plane or bus ride or whenever your fear may happen. I went to a psychologist and he gave me a refund and said "I can't help you..." then I begged my doctor for a medical solution. I am so obsessed with vomiting it and fear mostly others vomiting. I feel I have to tell everyone I know so that they know not to puke around me. I scram when I see someone or know of someone that has vomited, I cry, I can't breath and I feel like a fire alarm has gone off in my head. I cannot be reasoned with at the time it is happening either. I am a mess. BUT this little pill really helps. It has changed my life and actually allowed me to have children and be a someone sane mother in regards to their being ill. Although I do have help for when my kids are sick. Please check with your doctor... no wait... BEG your doctor! It really works for me.
|

replied June 27th, 2011
does the pill for vomiting or for your mind and to help you not freak out you are just like me
|

replied April 14th, 2012
The vomit fears
It's an antidepressant. I'm on Aropax, and it still doesn't help me. I freak out, run for cover, block my ears, even been far away , just the though of knowing someone has vomited i freak out, start shaking, heart beats really fast, tend not to eat for the next few days. I'm 22 and have had this my whole life, I refuse to go clubbing cause of this fear, I hate even going to the shops cause of this fear. Before I was on Aropax it was much worse, i ended up losing 143 pounds from only eating a slice of bread here and there for at least 3 months. (it was beneficial for the losing weight part) but i ended up getting to thin. I find it doesn't slow my fear down as much as i would like it to, i ended up leaving my best friend in an unwanted area to her just because she vomited, because of that, i want to be able to help her when she is sick and not just leave her stranded.
|

replied November 18th, 2009
ok, so i have had this fear and it probably started a year ago, i hate this fear, i cant control it and whenever im in a car with a friend, and she says she has a headeache, it makes my heart beat really fast and want to get out of the car, and especilly in school, when someone dosent look right or says to go down to the nurse, i have to get out of the room and get away from the person, please reply to who has the same feelings and plz HELP!!!
|

replied March 27th, 2010
does anyone know of a pill that helps to treat emetophobia. ive had it for 4 years and it almost killed me twice. i almost had organ failure because i didnt eat for 3 and a half months. and even right now im going through it again. i used to weigh 185 lbs and right now im down to 115 lbs. my emetophobia is so severe it almost killed me a couple times. doctors want to send me away because they think im going to die. they want to send me to texas and i live in pennsylvania. my life has been destroyed because of this phobia.
|

replied April 26th, 2010
Emetophobia
i have Emetophobia. i do not fear being sick myself (although it is never nice to be ill) but i have a really bad fear of others being sick. everywhere i go i am always thinking, oh no is that person gonna throw up. if someone says they dont feel well, i start to have a panic attack. ive been on roller coasters, but i always go on before lunch time, so the people on them may not have eaten, and will most likely not get sick. i hate coaches or public transport, but i still have to use them. i hate going into restaurants or pubs, in case someone is really drunk and gets sick. i cant even watch it on the tele. i dont try and avoid the situations, but put myself in them, hoping it would help, but i just keep sinking deeper and deeper into this fear. im 15 and have had this phobia for no reason since i can remember. i remember my dad being sick when i was four, and i ran away out of the house for three hours, shaking and crying. is there any hope for me at all? its really nice to see im not the only one as i felt like a freak, but i seriously need help! im going to a theme park in a few months, on a minibus with 20 odd other people, a few of whom i know get travel sick!! im terrified and its making me not want to go. please help!! x
|

replied May 17th, 2010
I'm 24 years old and I remember when my fear of others vomiting rulled my life. I've struggled with it since 3rd grade, possibly from trauma of seeing other children vomiting in public, or having to share a room with my sister, who had the loudest gag reflex on a planet. I have vivid memories of when she'd be sick I sit out side and do my homework shivering in the cold because I didn't want to hear her vomit. I'd plug my ears and sing outloud to block out the sounds. I remember watching the kids in my classroom, when one would approach the teacher saying they felt sick, I kept my eyes on them meticulously to make sure I wasn't near them if they vomited. I couldn't watch a movie if I new a charachter vomited, I'd ask someone a head of time that already had seen it to make sure I wouldn't have to watch it. Everytime I have to fly, I have to bring headphones to block out the sounds of people around me just in case. I've felt very alone in my struggle, its hard to tell others you have a full blown panic attack if they were to vomit around me. I've desensitized myself a little, I have two children that I love that have helped me deal with this fear a bit, but I was in a crowded bar in the ladies room and someone began to vomit and I had to run out immediately as my heart raced and the adrenaline kicked in. Will I ever fully recover from this???
|

replied November 4th, 2011
Irrational
Everything you've written in your post, I've suffered too. I'm 43 and I only recently began to research my irrational fear of others vomiting. I hate going out to places where I know people will be drunk and I will do anything to avoid using public toilets for fear that while I'm in there, someone will vomit. I actually invested in a noise-cancelling headset so that if someone vomits on a plane, I can put them on. My heart pumps like mad and I become totally terrified if I think someone is about to vomit and I'll run away as fast as my legs will carry me - even if I know that it's dumb and irrational. I have two kids and this has helped a little, particularly as the older was always a puker (can you believe my luck?). I hate it when my husband goes out with friends as I'm terrified he'll come home drunk. I lay awake with my heart pounding until he's home and I've ascertained how sober he is. If I'm even a little unsure, I'll go and sleep in the spare room (with my noise cancelling headset). How pathetic am I?
|

replied May 28th, 2010
I also have this fear. Sometimes I think I would cope better if somebody just died rather than puked in front of me. I'm terrified, refusing to go certain places just in case somebody might throw up. It's taking over my life. I'm only 14, and have had this fear for a few years, and it scares me that I may never get overcome it. Everything people say on here is JUST like me. Whenever I go some place, I automatically search for another exit, just in case somebody pukes in the exit or I need to make a fast get away. I'm so glad there are others like me with this fear. I wish I knew how to get over it, I realize how irrational it is, and truly wish I could stop thinking about it, but I can't. I am also scared of coughing, because it could trigger gagging.. Whenever somebody starts coughing, I get really worried and get away from there. I wish I didn't have this fear. I want this to be over...
|

replied June 28th, 2010
I as well suffer from this phobia. I'm 18 and female. I dont know where it came from but I know over he past 2 years it has grown tremendously. I have been given all types of meds to help me calm down. I've got stashes of ginger biscuits everywhere I go; car, boyfriends, work, home. I've recently just completed my exams but I screwed up on my one since I felt sick the night before and it made me keep on having anxiety attacks through the morning, I had to be put into a separate room and if I felt another attack coming I had to walk out of the room. When I did exams in the gym full of people I looked to see what the quickest way out was, or if everyone looked okay and also to see if there was bins at the front. I have been seeing a therapist over the past few months but I'm not sure if it is helping or not. Over the past week my phobia as been really bad, I just want to give up with it and make it go away, or to just get it off my mind as I dont want to feel sick from thinking about it as it causes me to have different types of attacks. I used to love going to gigs and going to the cinema, I am now scared to do both since I have seen people be sick for both.

At the moment, my boyfriend is at home with a sickness bug. Over the weekend his parents had it, and he got it this morning. I havent seen him much, but last night he came over to mine since I was upset and we kissed at the end. He was sick this morning, so ever since his mum told me (he was trying to keep it a secret from me) I have been worrying, I've had numerous breakdowns and I can't stop thinking about it and kind of expecting it to come and make me ill.
|

replied July 16th, 2010
:(
...this is heartbreaking to read.
I'm neaarlly 17 years old. I've had emetophobia for as long as I can remember, but only these past three years has it begun to control my life.
I fear it in every way possible. I cry myself to sleep at night because I'm so scared. I've developed insomnia becauuse i can't relax long enough to actually sleep.

I've been dealing with it a hell of a lot better though. Yeah I still get those scary as hell anxiety attacks (one right now... today was me and my boyfriends one year anniversary and I had quite a bit of cake... well about 2 slices, but i worry and worry).

I wanna give some advice to everyone.

It might control your life, but it will never make you any less of a person. I struggle every single day with this intense fear, and I feel sick almost every day... but you HAVE GOT to remember... you most probably feel sick from all the worrying. Nausea is a symptom of anxiety... this usually helps me think more realistically. Food only stays in your stomach for 3-4 hours and its not much to worry about.
Sure, easy said.
PLEASE don't rely on medication to get you through life. I was addicted to anti-anxiety drugs of all sorts for 1 and a half years. 3 times a day to make sure i was okay. PLEASE don't do that, it isn't the last resort.

If possible, start growing basil. You would be amazed at the wonders it does.
It's a natural relaxant and anti-anxiety AND anti-nausea herb. A lot of pregnant women drink it as a tea to prevent morning-sickness.
All you need is about 3 leaves of basil, and a bit of the flower. You cover it with boiling water in a mug, add some sugar/sweetener to taste and some lemon, touch of lemon.
This is coming from the person you screamed down a motel because i caught a bug and I gagged twice. Didn't throw up, but gagged.
I swear to God it works.. it's amazing.

I hope you all feel better one day. I know it's hard, but anything in this world is possible.
|

replied August 8th, 2010
i cant believe so many people have this fear its a horrible thing to go through, i have had it for ages now. and its destroyed me. i havent seen my nan and grandad in wales for ages because we go in a car with my little sister who is prone to migranes and she gets sick with them so i cant go with them because of this, i have started hating theme parks. i hate it!
|

replied September 22nd, 2010
Hello,

I am a 13yr old girl and I have Emetophobia. I also have Generalized Anxiety Disorder, this makes my life extremely difficult as a student. I am subject to severe nausea and two years ago had four blood tests in eight weeks because the doctor's could not diagnose me. I ended up going to a herbalist, he gave me rescue drops. Rescue drops are made up of flowers and plants, they help to relieve stress. But on the days I forget my rescue drops at school, I have to go to the sick bay and go home. I HATE this, I know that people are sick in there, and that is what scares me! I end up sitting by myself feeling sick unable to go home because of my fear.
I think that Emetophobia is a terrible thing to have, and good luck to others out there who have it.
|

replied September 25th, 2010
I read all of these word for word and I am so happy im not the only person like this.

I am 15, female, and I live every day in fear that I, or someone around me, will be ill.

I hate how it controls my Life. The Panic attacks, The crying, the stomach aches.
|

replied October 21st, 2010
emetophobia
i also have this fear...i am 41 years old and have had it since i can remember. Over the past 5 or so years it has gotten to where it controls my life..my daughter is 7 and i fear every single night that she is gonna be sick..she calls me a germaphobe because my husband calls me that...he does not understand this fear and because of not having support , i have gotten worse..i read all of these and say oh my gosh...that is me..i have tried a kind of hypnotism, did not work, exposure therapy freaked me out horribly...to the point now of being tired of having it and dealing with it
|

replied April 7th, 2011
I thought I was the only strange one!!! My husband doesn't understand and keeps telling me that I need to "just deal with it". I have 2 small boys and there is currently a week long sickness bug going round and I find myself not even wanting to give me kids food just in case they get the bug and are sick. I panic if I'm sick myself but not as bad if other people are sick. If any of my wee boys tell me they have a sore belly, I got into a state of panic, I start sweating, my hearing goes funny and I can't function which makes me feel a bad mother. Am I just being stupid???
|
12 >>