Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Clear Fluid Leaking From Sutures

Must Read
Flu basics - what is the flu? Get started here to learn how to protect yourself....
Who is at risk of developing flu related complications? Can people die from the flu? More on risk factors here....
We answer your questions on flu symptoms here. How are cold and flu symptoms different? When should you seek medical help for flu? Plus more....
Well I got hit with an axe about a week or so ago...Went through my entire layer of skin on my mid-foot, almost to my foot joint and I went to the hospital. I got 9 stitches and I was given antibacterial cream with gauze to care for the wound. I was also given a prescription for cephalexin (sp?) an antibiotic.

About three-five days later a clear fluid started leaking from one part of the suture...The rest of the suture doesnt leak just the one part of it. Its not the thick, milky, yellowish fluid. Its translucent when it leaks out, but if I dab it with something it appears yellow on the material I dab it with. The wound doesnt hurt really at all so its not the pain its just this fluid that bothers me.

I apply the antibacterial ointment that the doctor gave me when he stitched me up every day, after I get a shower. I clean it gently with water and soap when taking a shower. Does anyone know what this fluid may be, because I dont think it is pus, and what I should do from now on? In three days I am supposed to go back to the er to get the stitches removed, but I dont think thats gonna happen because I think it may be infected. Thanks for any help.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper fatfamily02
|

replied December 25th, 2005
Experienced User
Draining of pus? It could be infected... But if you have taken proper care of the wound, it shouldn't happen, but there's still the possibility. You should speak to your doctor about this matter. Good luck!
|

Experienced User
Draining of pus? It could be infected... But if you have taken proper care of the wound, it shouldn't happen, but there's still the possibility. You should speak to your doctor about this matter. Good luck!
|

Extremely eHealthy
Re: Clear Fluid Leaking From Sutures
aares wrote:
well I got hit with an axe about a week or so ago...Went through my entire layer of skin on my mid-foot, almost to my foot joint and I went to the hospital. I got 9 stitches and I was given antibacterial cream with gauze to care for the wound. I was also given a prescription for cephalexin (sp?) an antibiotic.

About three-five days later a clear fluid started leaking from one part of the suture...The rest of the suture doesnt leak just the one part of it. Its not the thick, milky, yellowish fluid. Its translucent when it leaks out, but if I dab it with something it appears yellow on the material I dab it with. The wound doesnt hurt really at all so its not the pain its just this fluid that bothers me.

I apply the antibacterial ointment that the doctor gave me when he stitched me up every day, after I get a shower. I clean it gently with water and soap when taking a shower. Does anyone know what this fluid may be, because I dont think it is pus, and what I should do from now on? In three days I am supposed to go back to the er to get the stitches removed, but I dont think thats gonna happen because I think it may be infected. Thanks for any help.

clear fluid and yellow on cloth I believe is normal. Our body sends fluid to any wound to aid in healing, like blister. It is the same thing just no sac around the fluid.

Now if it becomes thick or deep yellow, or heavy white with green it might be something else, but right now I believe it is just your healing reaction.
|

replied July 20th, 2009
clear fluid leaking from stitches
One week ago today, I walked into a broken china sink, a very nasty cut almost to the bone, It took 9 stitches, just as above, I did exactly as instructed and for the first couple of days, it seemed fine, then it started leaking a clear fluid, a constant drip from one end of the wound, that spot doesn't seem to be healing as well but does not look infected, most annoying, stitches are supposed to come out in 2 days but not sure if that will happen, think I will have it checked at the hospital to be safe but I also think it is just a healing process, it is not yellow, when it dries on the skin it has a slight "sugary" appearance but not like infection. Odd.
|

replied July 20th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
It needs to be checked as soon as possible. It could be the beginning of an infection.

Fran
|