Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gout Forum

Gout In Finger?

Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....
I woke up one morning about 3 weeks ago with a red,swollen and painful joint on my index finger.This is the only joint affected.Could this be gout? My doctor just doesn't know.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Sally888
|

replied January 15th, 2004
You can get gout in your fingers, feet and knees. I know an elderly nun who has gout in her fingers. She is a vegetarian but eats sea food occasionally. But you can conquer gout with dieting and detoxification.
|

replied November 7th, 2004
Gout In the Finger
I'm just about over an attack of gout in my index finger. My first joint from past attacks is disformed (tofi) and i'm hoping my second nuckle joint doesn't become disformed as well. Btw does anyone know if there is anything that can be done to remove the tofi build-up?
|

replied November 16th, 2004
Experienced User
Gout In the Finger
If you can lower the blood uric acid level to around 4.5 mg/dl (normal: 2.5~7 mg/dl), you may have some chance to dissolve the tophi. It takes rx: allopurinol or prebenecid to do the job and may take months or years to achieve. Surgery to remove tophi in fingers may not be practical. Unless you can prevent the new tophi to form by lowering the uric acid level, removing the tophi in one finger cannot prevent more tophi to form in other joints. I suggest you see a rheumatologist about about it.
|

replied April 1st, 2009
gout in little finger and one next to it
i have painful fingers comes and goes sometimes i can go a week without pain then its back could this be gout, they are both red and swollon on joint area
|

replied May 29th, 2009
gout
Try Celery Seed Extract. It worked for me.
|

replied December 5th, 2009
gout
i get tingling and pain in my finger joints but no tophi. My blood uric acid has exceeded normal level for years now and i'm worried. could this be gout? Most websites seem to indicate that gout attacks the big toes first?
|

replied December 7th, 2009
My gout attacks my ankle, never in my big toe. The worse attack I had one year ago started in my left ankle, then my left knee joint, elbow joint, and ring finger. That was when I finally went to the doctor and figured out I have gout. A year of treatments, and I am still searching for answer and relieve.
|

replied December 7th, 2009
Experienced User
If you have gout, you have a 50-50 chance that it is caused by sleep apnea. If you have sleep apnea, overcoming it will likely extend the length and quality of your life, as well as cure your gout.
|

replied April 21st, 2010
Gout in the Finger and Remedies
I have been suffering from gout since I was aged 17. Now 32, I mostly have attacks in my toes and ankles, but have had it in my elbows and fingers. I use allopurinol, but still suffer attacks occasionally. I have searched for natural remedies, and one of the most effective that I''ve found so far is cherry. Cherry extract tablets from health food shops and cherry juice seem to naturally help lower my uric acid levels. Fresh cherries are good too. Recently had gout of the index finger and couldn''t grip anything. It is a very debilitating condition, and I can only manage it by using balanced diet, medication, and cherry extract, and drinking loads of water. It never fully goes away though. I also try to avoid anything containing monosodium glutomate, rare steaks, heavy red wines, as they immediately trigger an attack. Also prawns, and smoked fish seem to affect my uric acid level. Basically all the foods that I like!
|

replied April 21st, 2010
My gout is mainly in my ankle (never in the big toe). When it got really bad it showed up in my ring finger and knee joint. After a 6mo. of Allopurinol my finger is pain free, knee pain comes and goes if I do too much, and ankle flares is tolerable without pain meds. However the allopurinol is affecting my liver, so I have stopped it 6 months ago. I know I still have gout but I will try to stay away from those toxic drugs until I need them again. Meantime, cherry juice and diet seemed to help me.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska
User Profile
Dr. Robert Wascher
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Robert Wascher