Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Appendix and Appendicitis Forum

Chronic Diarrhea After Appendectomy... (Page 1)

Must Read
Basic facts on diarrhea here, including the difference between acute and chronic diarrhea. Learn to identify each....
What causes diarrhea? We outline the most common causes of diarrhea (viruses, bacteria, and medications) and let you know when to seek medical help....
Learn how to prepare yourself when seeing a doctor for diarrhea. Know which medical exams and tests to expect, and also which questions to ask. Start here....
I'm 20 years old and was the victim (har har) of a laproscopic appendectomy 4 weeks and 2 days ago. I was constipated for 2 days after my surgery. After my first bowel movement, I had diarrhea for 6 days (the remainder of the time I was on antibiotics...Two of them). I had to use anti-nausea suppositories to keep my antibiotics and any food down. I was assuming that the combination of the suppositories and the antibiotics had given me diarrhea. Well, after my meds were gone, my diarrhea went into remission for 3 days or so. Since then, i've had it every few days. And now i've had it for three days in a row, and it's waking me up in the middle of the night. I've never had problems with anything gastrointestinal before my appendectomy, so I called my surgeon's office, and the woman I spoke with told me that it was probably unrelated to my surgery...Which seemed a little ridiculous, considering that it was a brand new, post-operative issue. I'm afraid of losing anymore weight, but I don't want to eat because i'm tired of having to run to the bathroom. Has anyone else had any diarrhea problems after an appendectomy? I can't imagine what else the cause could be. I was reading that it puts you at risk for all sorts of bowel problems. Scary stuff!
First Helper tv1827
|

replied January 4th, 2006
Anonymous
Appendix
I had the same problem with the diahrea for nearly 3 years after my appendix ruptured. I went to different doctors for almost 3 years after my surgery. Lots of tests. Nothing... Then all of a sudden I was feeling poorly. A doctor ordered a nuclear scan which shows the functionality of the gallbladder. I had gallstones. I had my gallbladder removed a month ago and I can now eat dairy, vegetables etc!!! No problems and no restrictions on food!!!
|

replied June 29th, 2012
I have had these same symptoms, sometimes the pains keep me up of a night. I've told the parents but where I complain about it so much but they don't believe me.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied June 29th, 2012
I have had these same symptoms, sometimes the pains keep me up of a night. I've told the parents but where I complain about it so much but they don't believe me.
|

replied May 16th, 2008
Constant Diarrhea after appendectomy
My son just have an appendectomy about 10 days ago, but diarrhea persists and doctors don't allow me to take him home since they don't know what's the cause of this problem
Did you get a solution to this problem by now? Would you let me now about it?

Thanks
|

replied July 18th, 2008
i thought i was alone
i am so astonished to read what you have written, before my appendix was removed, i never had diarrhea problems. after my appendix was removed i had a number of side effects in the 2 weeks that followed such as bronchitis, breaking out into spots and blackouts. in the months which followed i would get diarrhea from eating food at weddings, conferences etc. 4 months later i went to southern asia, where it became continuous and has been so ever since. i think i might have picked up rotavirus or something, which could have also led to a gastrointestinal disease, but no tests, colonoscopies or anything tells of any problems.

according to wikipeadia, "the appendix serves as a safe haven for useful bacteria when illness flushes those bacteria from the rest of the intestines" and "diarrhea is one of the leading causes of death in developing countries, indicating that a role of the appendix as an aid in recovering beneficial bacteria following diarrhea may be extremely important in the absence of modern health and sanitation practices".

I would be really interested to learn the link.
|

replied October 24th, 2008
sick of being sick
I am having terrible diarrhea problems! I had my appendix out on October 5th. I got bilateral pneumonia after the surgery and was in the hospital for 8days. after about 4days of not being able to go to the bathroom they gave me some stool softener. I have not stopped going since. Sometimes I feel like I can't run to the bathroom fast enough! I keep thinking its just a normal complication and that its going to get better, but I'm not sure how much longer I can take this. I'm still so weak and tired. If anyone knows anything! Please let me know. I'm so tired of being sick. Sad
|

replied June 10th, 2012
cramps and diarhea 2 months after appedex removed
hey I am having the same problem since I had my appendex removed, cramps everyday and diarhea and its been about 2 months, im loosing appetite and dont know what to do, the cramps are worse at night as soon as i lay down, calling my surgeon because this is not normal, just looked up others with same problems, i suggest calling your surgeon like im going to do..
|

replied January 28th, 2009
Wow could this be my problem?
I had my appendix out 5 years ago, and yes, I have had daily diarrhea problems ever since. About 4 years ago I had every test the doctors could think of, including a colonoscopy. And, I have tried many dietary changes to no avail. I have to constantly keep an eye on my weight because I begin to worry even more when it drops too low.

This is five years of anxiety and the doctors don't take this problem too seriously since they couldn't find anything wrong. I just thank my lucky stars I don't have to work. I hope those of you experiencing the same problems don't have to suffer with it as long as I have. I wish you all luck in finding culprit. As mentioned above, let us know if anyone finds anything out!
|

replied February 15th, 2009
The same problem here
I thought I was the only one with this problem. About five months ago my appendix ruptured and I had it removed. For the first few days I was very constipated, but now like clockwork, right after EVERY meal I need to immediately use the restroom! Like one reader said, I can't get to the bathroom fast enough. I eat about 4 small meals a day, so I ended up moving my bowels at least 4 times a day. I'm not losing weight or anything, but I find it very peculiar and quite a hassle when I'm at a restaurant or entertaining guests, etc. I just figured this was a common after effect of having my appendix removed. I'll call my doctor next week to see if this is normal.
|

replied April 24th, 2009
chronic diarrhea after appendectomy
I am blessed to have had great health my whole life, so this appendectomy issue is really unknown territory for me.

I had an emergency appendectomy 4 weeks ago and I have constant, chronic diarrhea. I also ran a fever of 99.9 which scares me because it means I might have an infection. I have called my surgeon so we will see.

Has anyone suffered with this and what did you do?
|

replied May 29th, 2009
I had my appendix removed about 1 month ago and I've had CONSTANT diarrhea--where I HAVE to sit on the toilet about 20 times a day-- since about 1 day after the surgery. I have never had gastrointestinal problems until this surgery. I am loosing so much fluid that I get headaches as well even though I never had chronic headache problems before either. My appendix did not rupture, he said it was "swollen" after i had mild pain. I was surprised that the doctor said he had to remove it since I did not have any other symptoms of appendix such as fever. I am suspicious about whether or not my appendix even had to be removed especially now that I am suffering!! I've been the ER but they don't seem too concerned with the constant diarrhea because they keep making me wait 5-8 hours. My doctor's nurse said to eat YOGURT so I've been eating about between 2 and 10 yogurts a day but that doesn't make any difference. I was an exceptionally healthy person before this operation. Please tell me how to stop this diarrhea!
|

replied July 21st, 2009
This is happening to my daughter right now. It was a very nasty appendicitis as the appendix had wrapped its self under the cecum and stuck to it and some of the stomach muscles had contracted round it.They started off doing it key hole surgery but ended up having to cut her open properly to get it out so she has now got 4 wounds.Since the surgery five days ago she has had sickness fever and uncontrollable diarrhea. If this is a common problem then why was she not warned about it and why aren't the nurses reassuring her. They wont let her out of hospital until the diarrhea stops so does this mean she will be in hospital for the next 20 years. I don't think so!
|

replied August 7th, 2009
appendectomy
I had my appendix out on 08/25/08 after days of agony. I had uncontrollable diarrhea starting the day after surgery. I even went in my gown while in the hospital without even knowing it.Talk about embarrassing!I went home on 08/27/08 and couldn't leave the house for fear of not making it to a restroom in time. Turns out I contracted clostridium difficile (C.Diff)from either the antibiotics or an unsanitary staff member. It was a horrible experience. My doctor kept brushing my diarrhea as the flu! I went a month without treatment for the C.Diff. and this was at a military hospital! I urge everyone with diarrhea after surgery to get tested for C.Diff!
|

replied March 29th, 2010
I have had problem with my stomach almost every day, after removal of my appendix. Been at that stage, where I thought, I was going mad, because noone can or will confirm this fact, and tell me, that this is "normal" - not a subject told form any doctor, a the time of my appenticitis. Which is approx. 23 years ago.

Not to tell, that I had my head scanned, just to find out, whether I was missing something, going autistic, and stuff... Not okay, that is my conclussion.

I have even asked doctors for a transplantation, but, that is not a common procudure in the west, is the reply. Seems to be cowboy law, which is still in effect, and, the day I meet someone (an indian?) who is willing to help me "replace" this organ, I would not hesitate to say "yes, please!"

What I do, to make the everyday more regular, and normal, is to eat sugar free youghurt (A38 it is called, from where I come from, Denmark). And I excercise, (running, bicykling, sit ups, etc.)to keep my stomach more prepared and resistable, against diffent kinds of more "undigestable" food - if that really exists. Seem to help, a bit, anyway.

Have a nice day.
|

replied March 30th, 2010
WOW!!! I have been caring for my future mother in law..( a 77 yr old previously healthy as a horse japanese woman)..after having emergency appendectomy. She was doing well ..4 days in the hospital then home still doing ok until the 6th day or so, she came down with chronic diarrhea so bad after 3 weeks she had to go back in the hospital due to dehydration. they tested for C-diff infection twice and both tests were negative,they are treating her for it anyway. after reading up on what the appendix is and its function..(storage for good bacteria) it makes sense to me that her balance of good and bad bacteria in the intestines is way out of wack!! Yes I am puzzled as to why the doctors don't explain this condition as a matter of fact they seem quite confused by her lack of infection and her digestive troubles. whoever said the appendix is a useless organ has not had their's removed.Any helpful ideas that will get this sweet lady back to her healthy active self ?
|

replied April 24th, 2010
apendix
I had my surgery one week ago. I didnt have my first bowl movement for 4 day which was normal, then after that i have had nothing but diarrhea. I have no energy and feel tired and dizzy all the time. I also have to make sure i am close to a washroom for it come on quickly...this is horrable and i dont know how i will work under this condition. I am going to call my doctor and see if he will test me for c diff because i cant live with this.
|

replied April 26th, 2010
chronic diarrhea after appendectomy
I am pleased to report that my mom-in-law is back on her feet and doing well. Even though the tests for c-dif came out neg. they treated her with Vancomycin for it anyway, she took it faithfully even getting up in the middle of the night to take it at 6 hr, intervals, this drug is very expensive if your insurance wont cover it,the drug store had to call her insurance co. for approval,they were surprised that it was covered and told us that the script was written by a contagious disease doctor(because c-dif is contagious if you dont wash hands well and feces come into contact with mouth,or other mucus membranes(like if you eat without washing hands after a trip to the bathroom)well, anyway there is another medicine used to treat it but Vancomycin is the best because it stays in the gut instead of going through the whole system. the doc said if the diarrhea came back when the meds were gone to call for another script right away,sometimes it takes 2-3 rounds of it in an elderly person. Im guessing that ongoing problems over years after appendix removal is related to the lack of pro-biotics (good bacteria) that the appendix used to store and release when needed. so making sure to take in foods high in pro-biotics may help, yogurt is only one of these .foods that have been fermented such as sauerkraut contain pro-biotics list of others can be found on line. you can get pro-biotics in pill form however they may not contain as many live bacteria as they did at the time of manufacture,so have to look at dates and storage instructions, best way to get your good bacteria is probably through foods.not all yogurts have much in them either read the labels and ask the doc what live bacterias to look for. hope this helps someone, and speedy recovery to all
|

replied May 11th, 2010
Diarrohea after appendectomy
Had my appendix out last week - and came home on Saturday - I have had diarrohea the last three days and wondering if it stop too?
|

replied June 9th, 2010
Is diarrhea after having my appendix removed normal?
Yea! You know whats weird is that before my surgery I was on the constipated side with dark stools...then I had the surgery and now I have bright orange liquid diarreah..im trying to wait it out without taking stomach medications...Im hopin it will go away on its own...if not I guess I should contact my doctor. Had Surgery three days ago. Im glad its liquid comin out though because the first time I went I thought I gave myself a hernia. It's just annoying cause I have to go after I eat or drink water.
|

replied June 12th, 2010
appendectomy postop diarrhea
I had my appendix removed 5/31/10 and started diarrhea 2 days later. I also thought it was from antibiotic. 2 days after I finished the meds. I couldn't stop going to the bathroom. Took Imodium so I could leave the house. Also chills feeling like I had a virus. It wakes me out of a sound sleep. I eat toast most of the time and Ramen noodles. It doesn't effect me the same 2 days in a row. I hate not knowing how close to a bathroom I need to be.I also get light headed/dizzy at times. I know I should drink more water but I feel that it goes right thru. Believe it or not, coffee doesn't bother me. I put extra sugar in it because I feel like my sugar level is bottoming out.I also have been experiencing heart burn and a burning feeling in my abdomen. Usually after drinking juice. I plan to call my dr. and ask about c.diff. I'll pay any amount to be rid of this. The only positive thing thus far for me is losing weight! On a personal side, I feel that if God gave us an appendix he had a reason. And if we all have diarrhea postop then it's obvious there was an important function!!I'm thankful to be rid of the pain but this stinks too.
|

replied July 6th, 2010
I had my appendix removed when i was 9 years old and now i am 32. I fear eating at buffets mom and pop restuarants and people whom i dont know their sanitary habits because i get diarrhea so often. I dont know what or when it will strike because i cant get to the bathroom fast enough. I hope someone can find the answers as to what makes this happen for people who dont have an appendix because i am going mad with this nausating problem that i wonder why me?
|

replied August 22nd, 2010
I recently had an appendectomy (August 2010) followed by regimen of Levaquin and 1 week of diarrhea. I followed up my hospital visit with a trip to my GP and was put on Florastor which helps restore the balance of "good," bacterial in your bowels. I am hoping this will help. All post surgical patients need to be aware of the serious condition called Clostridlum Difficlile -- which is chronic diarrhea which must be treated. This condition comes on sometimes after surgery and a regimen of antibiotics.

Don't wait. If you've had diarrhea, nausea, fever for more than a few days after surgery, call your doctor.
|
12 >>