Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Calendar Conception : When did I Conceive ? Forum

Trying to Have a Baby, Cannabis Smoker

Sss

Last edited by allenlevitas on August 16th, 2006 05:32 PM; edited 1 time in total
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 19th, 2005
Experienced User
Hi
Yes, it sure can have a big affect on your baby, exspecially birth defects, sorry to give you the bad news, if you want to have a healthy baby get rid of the mary, and start making some changes with your life, and for the babys sake, and yes it can stun you from getting your wife pregnant, and it can also make her not concieve a child, makes things alot harder, that is if you really want to have a child, you might consider talking with your wife about those lifestyle changes. Its a sacrifice, buts it worth every bit. And another thing, if she happens to be pregnant and not know it, it can make her misscarrage. Hope ive helped you, merry christmas, and good luck ot you.
|

replied January 13th, 2006
Mary Jane & Pregnancy
While smoking pot can reduce the sperm count, it can't cause birth defects (that's the one of the stupidist things i've ever heard). I know many couples who got pregnant right away in a relationship where both partners smoked m.J. Multiple times a week. Personally, I got pregnant 2 weeks off the pill without even trying and my husband is a frequent m.J. Smoker (i had even joked that he may want to cut it off if we ever wanted to conceive). I have chosen not smoke m.J. While pregnant, but I know a number of women who have continued to smoke m.J. And their kids are just fine (in fact they're brilliant). That said, i'm in no way condoning smoking m.J. While pregnant - the potential danger to the baby is irresponsible - but a male's sperm is not going to cause a birth defect if he smokes before, during and after a woman is pregnant.
|

replied January 15th, 2006
Experienced User
Hello
Thats what ive heard from a doctor so, why are you asking then if you wanted to know, in my opinion I sure would not want to have a baby and smoking pot, thats just so iresposible and only hurting your baby, you might as well drink alcohol as well, and pot frys your brain cells too, and when you do that your hurting your babys growing brain too as well, if their is other womans babies that turned out fine, well thats great , but does not mean that your will, think about it, it sounds like to me your selfish, and you want to have your cake and it eat it too. Be a responsible parent and do the right thing.
|

replied January 15th, 2006
As a matter of fact, i'm not the original author - the original author is a male who was asking about his pot smoking and how it may effect his wife getting pregnant. My comments were directed at the fact that the act of a male smoking pot will not cause deformed sperm cells. If the man's wife decided to smoke pot while pregnant on the other hand, she would obviously be taking a risk to harm the baby. I find it interesting that you call me irresponsible when I have taken every means possible to live a healthy lifestyle without pot or alcohol since I found out I was pregnant. I guess my baby may be deformed because my husband continues to smoke pot outside? If that's the case then there must be a whole lot of deformed babies in this world.
No matter. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I hope everyone gets pregnant, if desired, and has wonderfully happy, healthy babies (without deformed sperm).
|

replied January 20th, 2006
I have to agree with "guest" my sister's husband smokes pot ( not around the kids or in the house), and they have two healthy children. I can however see the mom smoking pot causing alot of problems for the baby, but thats not the topic on hand.
|

replied February 20th, 2006
Anonymous
?
So smoking kills babies????????? But canabis doesnt?
Ur sick
|

replied February 23rd, 2006
Experienced User
Tobacco contains ingredients that are much more harmful than anything in cannabis.
|

replied March 10th, 2006
If you smoke weed while pregnant it increases your childs chance of getting leukemia by 1000% if you wanna give it up go visit a peads cancer ward
|

replied March 10th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
johanne wrote:
if you smoke weed while pregnant it increases your childs chance of getting leukemia by 1000% if you wanna give it up go visit a peads cancer ward

that is so not true. Where are you getting your facts from? Smoking weed while pregnant has no proven effect on the baby. I wouldn't do it though, just like I wouldn't drink or smoke cigarettes.
|

replied March 17th, 2009
Trying to Have a Baby, Cannabis Smoker
I read the responses to this and felt like I should say something. I know this was posted some time ago but like me what if someone else reads and gets bad information.
what we know: Marijuana effects sperm
1)Decreased number of sperm (sperm count) even if you do know someone who smokes and got someone pregnant it still decreases the number of sperm! regardless but doesn't make it impossible
2)Lower volume of seminal fluid (the ejaculatory fluid that carries the sperm)
3)Abnormally formed sperm
4)Abnormal patterns of sperm movement (sperm motility) it seems they are sprinters and not long distant swimmers
5)the most common problem with a mother smoking marijuana while pregnant is low birth weight which doesn't sound as bad as it truely is, wish I had more time to get into it.
6)I can find no substantial proof/studies which link a males marijuana use to birth defects however I can find NONE that "prove" it doesn't either. common sense would dictated that if it can change the things we know it changes that it would be smarter to not smoke marijuana within a 2 week period prior to conception
*some studies are currently trying to link ADD/ADHD to marijuana use by parents however nothing substantial yet that i'm aware of
*statics are showing an significant increase SIDS rate by tobacco and marijuana smokers even post birth which I believe I would not ignore. 2-4x more prevalent in some studies
*the leukemia comment is not correct,THC has no known association with Leukemia
*the tobacco vs marijuana comment is also incorrect.. I actually have a chemical breakdown of each right on the desk in front of me, lol and they each have equally dangerous chemicals (this debate has more to do with your family history and which cancers,heart disease etc...if you are genetically weighted for than the actual chemicals)
Raising a kid is much more complicated than reading some studies. Hold off on the kids, smoke all you want, then when your done with it and ready to be a responsible productive parent, go for the kids, because it is difficult to do both.
|

replied August 19th, 2009
I wanted to add one more thing, just because marijuana can cause deformed sperm cells thus/and lower sperm count it doesn't cause ALL of them to to have problems, thus why everyone knows weed smokers who have had perfectly fine kids, However think of it this way, there are plenty of people who drink alcohol while pregnant too and they have kids who do not have Fetal Alcohol Syndrome too, but the risk, the fact that you could deform your child for life, that risk (though not by any means is 100%) is why most responsible parents don't drink alcohol while pregnant or attempt to get pregnant knowing they have not committed on stopping drinking.
|