Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Abortion Debate Forum

Real Abortion Statistics From the Alan Guttmacher Institute (Page 1)

The alan guttmacher institute is trusted by many people, and an authority on sexual health.
Http://www.Agi-usa.Org/sections/abortion.P hp

incidence of abortion
49% of pregnancies among american women are unintended; 1/2 of these are terminated by abortion.[1] 24% of all pregnancies (excluding miscarriages) end in abortion.[2]

in 2002, 1.29 million abortions took place, down from an estimated 1.36 million in 1996. From 1973 through 2002, more than 42 million legal abortions occurred.[3]

each year, 2 out of every 100 women aged 15-44 have an abortion; 48% of them have had at least one previous abortion.[4]

contraceptive use
54% of women having abortions used a contraceptive method during the month they became pregnant. 76% of pill users and 49% of condom users reported using the methods inconsistently, while 13% of pill users and 14% of condom users reported correct use.[11]

8% of women having abortions have never used a method of birth control; nonuse is greatest among those who are young, poor, black, hispanic or poorly educated.[12]

49% of the 6.3 million pregnancies that occur each year are unplanned;[13] 47% of these occur among the 7% of women at risk of unintended pregnancy who do not practice contraception.[14]

as much as 43% of the decline in abortion between 1994 and 2000 can be attributed to the use of emergency contraception.[15]
there is no evidence of childbearing problems among women who have had a vacuum aspiration abortion, the most common procedure, within the first 12 weeks of pregnancy.[24]

the risk of death associated with abortion increases with the length of pregnancy, from 1 death for every one million abortions at 8 or fewer weeks to 1 per 29,000 at 16-20 weeks and 1 per 11,000 at 21 or more weeks.[25]

the risk of death associated with childbirth is about 11 times as high as that associated with abortion.[26]

88% of all abortions are performed in the first 12 weeks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper red72cup
|

User Profile
replied December 18th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Very scary statistics!!! 42 million dead babies from 1973 to 2002. Thanks for posting this info.
|

replied December 18th, 2005
Experienced User
nightangel73 wrote:
very scary statistics!!! 42 million dead babies from 1973 to 2002. Thanks for posting this info.

that is an extreme amount of killing going on. Disgusting, isn't it?
|

replied April 3rd, 2012
Im sorry I have to disagree there are alot of women out there who should not be mothers ever and the ones that did keep their children they are not smiling and that is more disgusting things are the way they are for a reason I beleive women that get abortions after 8 weeks is totally wrong and are stupid to wait that long a life is not something to play with but I beleive if a girl finds out she is pregnant she should have a choice but that choice needs to be made right away
|

User Profile
replied December 19th, 2005
Advanced Support Team
That is outrageous.... Imagine how this world would be with none of that.. No killing , no fighting, no nothing.. We would have so much peace on our hands we wouldnt know what to do.. And imagine how many smiling faces running around laughing and playing .. And calling out mommy or daddy or both..
|

Extremely eHealthy
My point is that most women who had an abortion were using contraceptives.

It is not scary, our world is already overstretched on resources and space, the last thing we need is a population boom.

If a woman "chooses" abortion, then that's great and it is her business. I still believe that women who do not want abortions deserve help and support so that they may have their children. Each women is entitled to her choice, and is entitled to carry out her choice.
|

replied April 3rd, 2012
So right
|

Especially eHealthy
As usual, you people didn't look at all the numbers. Did you miss the part about childbirth being 11 times as deadly to the mother as abortion?
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
carifairy wrote:
my point is that most women who had an abortion were using contraceptives.

yes and using them incorrectly because that is what I read in the literature that my gyn gave me. With perfect use 98% birth control is effective. Now if you want to truly prevent pregancy the use of two forms of birth control e.G. Condoms and the pill is extremely effective or getting the tubes tied/vasectomy. Bottom line if you want to be adult and have sex then prepare for the consequences.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Yes, for birth control to be over 98% effective we must use it correctly. There are still people out there who do not know what "using correctly" means though, they just take their pill. Many women, especially young women, do not always know anti-biotics reduce the effectiveness of the pill. Saint johns wort also decreases the effectiveness, along with many other drugs. It is also plausible that recreational street drugs could reduce birth control effectiveness by increasing the bodies metabolism, mostly from amphetamines.(uppers)
|

Experienced User
eiri wrote:
as usual, you people didn't look at all the numbers. Did you miss the part about childbirth being 11 times as deadly to the mother as abortion?

i don't believe this no matter what any stupid statistic says. But for argument's sake, lets say it's correct. So what? You keep missing the obvious here. Abortion is killing. The subject isn't pregnancy here, it's abortion. The chances of dying in childbirth are very slim, and maybe so with abortion but so what. One gives life, one kills it. Quite a difference aye?
|

User Profile
replied December 20th, 2005
Experienced User
Quote:
the alan guttmacher institute is trusted by many people

they are a planned parenthood research center.

Quote:
each year, 2 out of every 100 women aged 15-44 have an abortion; 48% of them have had at least one previous abortion.

uh-oh eiri..They had more than their limit..What was it you suggested jail time?

Quote:
54% of women having abortions used a contraceptive method during the month they became pregnant.

and who's going to go to their dr and say "well I didn't use any birth control"...They are going to lie and say they did so they don't look like sl*uts.

Quote:
the risk of death associated with childbirth is about 11 times as high as that associated with abortion.

there are a lot more pregnancies carried to term than abortions..Do the math.
|

Extremely eHealthy
1 in a million women will die from an 8 week abortion. 1 in 10,000 will die during childbirth. It is the truth.
|

Extremely eHealthy
I cannot find a nationwide source right now because I am in the middle of some work related paperwork, but I found a statistic for my home state n.C... I have these readily accessable, and they are from the nc dept of public health. So they are an unbiased source.

This was published in 2001, the statistics for 2004 are on their way..

In n.C. There are 12.3 maternal deaths per 100,000 women

there are 1.2 deaths from abortion per 100,000 women

so at least here in n.C. I have proof that abortion is about at least 10 times as safe as childbirth. And this article even states that abortion is a cause for decreased maternal death over time.

I will find nationwide stats asap.
Http://www.Ncpublichealth.Com/
this is where I got my info.. I forgot to cite it earlier. Just look up maternal deaths in searches.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Wikipedia states that there are 17 maternal deaths per 100,000 women in the us .This is the average, as some states have higher deaths, and some states have lower.
Http://en.Wikipedia.Org/wiki/maternal_deat h#maternal_mortality_ratio_.28mmr.29
|

Especially eHealthy
paganangel wrote:
Quote:
the alan guttmacher institute is trusted by many people

they are a planned parenthood research center.

Quote:
each year, 2 out of every 100 women aged 15-44 have an abortion; 48% of them have had at least one previous abortion.

uh-oh eiri..They had more than their limit..What was it you suggested jail time?

what the hell are you talking about? I said women who had like 6, 7 or 8 abortions wre pushing the limit. Not two.
Quote:

Quote:
54% of women having abortions used a contraceptive method during the month they became pregnant.

and who's going to go to their dr and say "well I didn't use any birth control"...They are going to lie and say they did so they don't look like sl*uts.

Quote:
the risk of death associated with childbirth is about 11 times as high as that associated with abortion.

there are a lot more pregnancies carried to term than abortions..Do the math.

no abortion is carried to term, that's the whole point of an abortion. I think what you meant (maybe?) is that more people give birth than have an abortion, thus there is a higher chance, just through exposure, to die from chilbearing? I hope that's what you meant.
|

Experienced User
Oh boy pagan, what were you thinking? Eiri meant 7 or 8, not 2, 3, or 4! 8 is her magical # of the day! Whoopee!
|

Experienced User
carifairy wrote:
1 in a million women will die from an 8 week abortion. 1 in 10,000 will die during childbirth. It is the truth.

nice. Swell. Abortion is still killing your unborn child. No statistic is ever going to change that. I will take my risk on "dying" during childbirth over killing my baby, thanks. ;o)
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
whatisupwiththat wrote:
nightangel73 wrote:
bottom line if you want to be adult and have sex then prepare for the consequences.

bottom line: pregnancy is a punishment for non procreational sex.

when you are a mature and responsible person and you love your partner pregnancy from non procreational sex is not going to be a punishment.
|

replied December 21st, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
I love my patrner and we do not want children, just because people do not want kids doesn't mean they are not in love. It just means that they do not want to breed.
|

Experienced User
nightangel73 wrote:
whatisupwiththat wrote:
nightangel73 wrote:
bottom line if you want to be adult and have sex then prepare for the consequences.

bottom line: pregnancy is a punishment for non procreational sex.

when you are a mature and responsible person and you love your partner pregnancy from non procreational sex is not going to be a punishment.

exactly.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Again, being in love with someone doesn't mean you want to breed. You can love someone and want to spend the rest of your lives together, without having children.
|
12 >>