Medical Questions > Cancer > Cervical Cancer and Ovarian Cancer Forum

Very Scared - Tender Ovaries Extreme Fatigue

Must Read
Cervical cancer typically develops over many years. But when does cervical cancer occur and how do doctors define the disease? ...
How are HPV and cervical cancer related? And how can you place yourself out of risk for developing cervical cancer? More here....
Abnormal menstruation can be a sign of cervical cancer. Learn the signs and symptoms of serious "female problems" and when to seek medical help here....
I am posting here because I feel as though I have no where else to turn. I am 22 years old, and have always been in good health, up until about two months ago. I first noticed a pain in my left side above my hip which crept around to my back and down my pelvic region. The pain was not severe, but very noticable. After which I got my period which lasted for fifteen days (normally seven days) at the end of my period I had "new" bleeding compared to the normal brown end I normally have.
After my period, the pain started again in the area next to my right hip. I went to my general practitioner, who performed a pelvic examination and didn't find anything unusual at that point. I was also having trouble taking a full breath - my blood pressure was normal, my blood oxygen level was normal, and she said it was my anxiety. After a week of no improvment, I went back to her, and she did another pelvic exam, found nothing wrong, and put me on amoxicillian on the off chance I might of had an infection. Three days later, I got a stabbing pain in my lower back, and went to the er. They checked my kidneys, which were normal, and checked my cell count, also normal, and sent me home. I went to a chiropractor, who ran x-rays, which showed that I have a curved spine, but showed no other abnormalties with my organs except for an excessive amount of gas in my intestines. I then went to a gynecologist who again did a pelvic exam and found that my ovaries were tender to the touch. When he touched them, a shooting pain shot up my back. He said I most likely had endometriosis, though he couldn't tell for sure. He based that on the fact that sex has always been painful for me, i've always had heavy periods (though never prolonged, and never had any pelvic pain). He also did an ultra sound, but didn't say if he found anything abnormal. He put me on birth control pills. My pain is continuing up into my ribs, and severe pain underneath my shoulder blades, particularly my left shoulder blade. It is to the point where I have to take massive amounts of ibuprofin to get through the day.
The pelvic pain is now on my right side as well, I am extremely fatigued, and my period this month only lasted three days, which has never happened before. I have no health insurance and have paid over a thousand dollars so far for no answers. I am very scared and just want to know what is wrong with me so I can start to correct it!
I am fearful of ovarian cancer because of my symptoms, also my grandmother passed away from ovarian cancer (though she didn't develop it until her late seventies). Can anyone with any knowledge of ovarian cancer inform me of the symtoms - everything I find online is very vague, listing only "abdominal discomfort" and "irritated digestion" - this has gone on for two months, and the doctors I have gone to see tell me that ovarian cancer is nearly impossible to detect, yet I keep reading that if it is not diagnosed early, the chaces for survival are minimal. I am aware that ovarian cancer in someone my age is very rare, but with my symptoms I want to make sure it is not something more serious, and begin any treatment I would need immediately.
Any insight would be sincerely appreciated. Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper acamillechouinard
|

replied January 9th, 2006
Ovarian Cancer
Dear shaharazad,

i was diagnosed with ovarian cancer last oct. For about a year I was more tired then usual but attributed to my job, as I walked 4-6 miles a day on the job. The true symptoms didn't show until around last july and august. I was extremely fatigued, lost my appatite, felt sick 24/7, lost weight, and started having pain in my lower abdomen. By the end of september, I was begging my doctor for a colonoscopy. After a battery of tests, they found the cancer. It was already in stage 3. That's the problem with ovarian cancer. By the time they find it, it has reached stage 3. I had my ovaries and tubes removed and I am now doing chemo. They got most of it with the surgery. I will have my 3rd chemo session tomorrow, then will have 3 more after that. We don't know yet if it is working or not, time will tell. I feel great. I don't feel like i'm sick, or like I have cancer except that I get tired easily. The months of oct, nov, and dec. Were the worst. I am driving again, and have recently moved to a smaller place with no stairs, and am determined to beat this. A woman I know went into remission for 10 yrs, got it back and has been in remission for another 10 yrs. I hope I will be as lucky and I am almost 62yrs old. I hope you do find out soon what the problem is and I pray you don't have or ever get this cancer. Good luck to you dear.
|

replied May 18th, 2009
pap smear
My last pap smear was 3 years ago. 26 years ago I was diagnosed with cervical cancer and had a hysterectomy with my ovaries left.
Should I have another pap smear this year ?
I am 73 years old and I am not taking any hormones . I take natural progesterones
|

replied May 20th, 2009
Especially eHealthy
You should definitely discuss this with your doctor. Since you have a history of cervical cancer it might be a good idea for a pap.

Good luck!
|

replied March 26th, 2012
PCOS and ovarian cancer
Hiya

Im 22 yrs old and was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome about a year ago. My periods have always been haywire, and its been about 4 months since my last one. I have a constant dull ache in both my ovary areas and feel fatigued most of the time and can nod off to sleep. Ive also noticed my ovaries\lower hips and uterus areas are a bit swollen and feel like they have small lumps. I went to have a follow up ultrasound scan but my doctor changed and then i moved up to scotland and have just made an appointment to see my gp. Should i be asking my gp about ovarian cancer as a possibility?

Catherine x
|