Medical Questions > Cancer > Cervical Cancer and Ovarian Cancer Forum

Severe Abdominal And Severe Pelvic Pain (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I have been going to the doc for the past 2 months. I have had ultra sounds of my abdominal area, ct scans of my pelvic and abdominal area and all kinds of blood work. According to my doctors I have got nothing wrong! I am having severe pain on my right side that can run any where from just below my rib cage all the down to my pelvic area. 22 years ago I had cysts removed from my left ovary and fallopian tube and part of my left ovary removed and an appendectomy.
On my ct scan that I just had this past week the doc who read them said there was a 2.7 cm ovarian cyst on my right side. So I was sent to an obgyn when I got to that appt. He did a vag. Ultrasound and said that I don't have any cyst and that was just my ovaries. I am really confused and tired of all the different judgements. How do I know who is right? Where do I go from here? Can someone please help answer my questions?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Haygirl
|

replied January 10th, 2006
Cysts
Oh my gosh I have had a similar situation
read my entry under stomach gastric disorder and tell me what you think
this pain hurts so bad!!
|

replied July 18th, 2011
i just had surgery on the first of july to see if i had endometriosis and he said there was nothin wrong with me. when i was younger i had cyst on my left overy.... iv been in the e.r 11 times in the 6 mounths for pain and it hurts so bad sometimes i ask the doctors to just kill me i cant go through this pain anymore can someone plz hepl me i know something is wrong i can feel it in my gut and im really scared.... and my family thinks i was fakeing it for attention and thats not the case ..... i really need some help i dont know were to go or who to talk to. plz someone write and help me out plz
|

replied July 22nd, 2012
i, your comment really rang a bell with me, I don't know what I have or what's wrong but after a failed pregnancy and other stuff I have had pelvic pain for a year and a half and in the last few months and esp. weeks it's been getting much worse and I am also feeling really suicidal. I have had the absolute run around with doctors- I have been to so many GPs and so many tests nothing seems to be indicated but at the same time they don't know what is causing it so I am trying to get a gyno appt. for a laparoscopy etc. but it could take 3-6 months to get one. I have also ended up in emerg. dep. a few times now, they give pain meds and all but advise you to leave as there is nothing else they can do apparently. The ultrasounds showed a corpus luteum/or ripened egg that may have become cystic as it was there for about 5 months before it disappeared (along with pain exactly where it was). But the more recent systems feel like infection and I am in agony. The most recent symptom is now I feel like I have a urethral infection/inflamation which is also agonising so I am on 2 kinds of antibiotics and painkillers (pain killers just started taking again tonight because otherwise I might top myself from the chronic pain- it also wears you down psychologically). The antibiotics are not helping at all. I keep ringing the gyno clinic, and they keep saying they might be able to get me in sooner, but then I never anything of it. I am at my wits end. I haven't had any clear diagnosis but from my personal reading I guess it may be either PID or cyst related or maybe even endometriosis (less likely but no idea)and now also some sort of antibiotic resistant infection. Very depressed about it. I want children at some point, scared I may not be able to. Also I have left work- my health broke down from stressful conditions at work, my face kept swelling up, sores that wouldn't heal and rashes, and chronic viral chest infections- actually the chest infection has cleared up 90% from the antibiotics but still lingering- so that's somewhat of a relief. What the hell is wrong with me. Why is it apparently "all so mysterious" to doctors??? take localised tests at the site of the problem why don't they?? not a blood test or swabs at the vagina where there may be no problem. Rather than actually taking samples from where the actual pain is and going from there. I am hanging out for the appt. and surgery if that is what it takes to fix it- but I am scared- a) that I may not even see a gyno for months and b) what if they can't help me so m uch pain
|

replied January 12th, 2006
Severe Pain In My Left Side
Hello

i was reading your posts about pain, and doctors saying it was noting. That is what i'm getting. They said they found a cyst on my uteran wall on the right side but that doesn't explain the sharp piercing pain on the left. I cannot sleep it hurts when i'm walking. Its been like this for a couple weeks now. I had an ultrasound and nothing came up. Is there anything you can suggest? I know I have pcos too but this is crazy!
Thanks!
|

replied January 12th, 2006
Severe Pain In My Left Side
Hello

i was reading your posts about pain, and doctors saying it was noting. That is what i'm getting. They said they found a cyst on my uteran wall on the right side but that doesn't explain the sharp piercing pain on the left. I cannot sleep it hurts when i'm walking. Its been like this for a couple weeks now. I had an ultrasound and nothing came up. Is there anything you can suggest? I know I have pcos too but this is crazy!
Thanks!
|

replied January 26th, 2006
Ovarian Cyst
Every woman gets cyst on there ovary normally 2 weeks after your period. The cyst normal full off during your cycle. - which might explain why one of your doctors see a small cyst and the other did not it may have dropped by then.

However some times these cyst can grow and become painful and cause pain.

Some gp will wait to see if the cyst burst or fulls off in its own time depending on how big the cyst is and how much pain it is causing.

In january of last year I was rushed to a&e because one day I woke up and suddenly had extreme pain, after hours of suffering the evening came and I was rushed to hospital.

X-rays where done first I was told I had kidney stones and hour later I was told it was my apdixs (spelling) and I was taken to a ward and told the next day the would operate to remove them.

I could not sleep as the pain was so bad and by the morning my belly had blown up like I was about to give birth, I paniced and so did the nurses and called the doctor and requested that I have a scan done - they could not see anything so they did an internal scan which showed that I had a 15cm by 15cm cyst on my right ovary which had twisted my tubes. I was rushed there and then into the operating room where they removed the cyst, ovary and tube.

Two and half weeks later (feb last year) I was rushed into hospital again in pain - they did a scan that showed nothing but then did an internal scan which showed I had another cyst but on my only now ovary left - my left ovary - and I was again operated on top remove the cyst but this time they saved my ovary because they found the cyst in time before it had done any damage.

If you are still concerned about the pain that you are in and believe you have a cyst then I would say find a hospital that use internal scans as this is the only scan both times for me that picked up the ovary.

The only things the consultants could suggest that I do to prevent this from happening was to take birth control pills. I said I was trying for a baby and they explain how low my chances are and that the same thing could keep happening unless I take birth control or full pregnant - a year later and in pain each month for at least 2 weeks out of the four and still not pregnant but I will stay strong!

Good luck to all of you xx
|

replied May 18th, 2006
Experienced User
Hi

i have been having some of these symptoms as well. My ovaries feeling like they were cramping sick on my stomach. I have been told it was an ulcer, ibs, and even nothing was wrong. This has been going on for atleast two years now.

Well yesterday morning I was up around 5 oclock and I had a sharp sharp pain in my low left rib cage. Then my back started hurting my ovaries started moving like my stomach was about to explode.

I was rushed to the er, they started running test on me. Ultra sounds taking blood and such. I told the lady doing the ultrasound I have been feeling like I had to pee like my bladder was about to bust for about two weeks now.

Then my ovaries started hurting bad when she was doing the ultra sound. She said it looked like my bladder was completely full. The doctor didn't see the cyst. But the fluid from my sample gave him a clue that I have had a cyst for awhile and it ruptured.

It hurts so bad today I can barley move around.

I am only 18 years old aren't I alittle young to be having cyst's?

:?:
|

replied March 20th, 2008
I am really scared, because for the last six months, I have been dealing with almost unbearable periods. My kidney and my ovary on my right side and my stomach hurt so severely, that it makes me break out in cold sweats and my stomach gets bloated and I cannot button my jeans. I am afraid to go to the doctor and have not had a pap since my daughter was born in 1989. I don't want to go to the doctor and find out that I have cancer, but I'm afraid not to.....
|

replied August 5th, 2008
Re: Severe Abdominal And Severe Pelvic Pain
Haygirl wrote:
I have been going to the doc for the past 2 months. I have had ultra sounds of my abdominal area, ct scans of my pelvic and abdominal area and all kinds of blood work. According to my doctors I have got nothing wrong! I am having severe pain on my right side that can run any where from just below my rib cage all the down to my pelvic area. 22 years ago I had cysts removed from my left ovary and fallopian tube and part of my left ovary removed and an appendectomy.
On my ct scan that I just had this past week the doc who read them said there was a 2.7 cm ovarian cyst on my right side. So I was sent to an obgyn when I got to that appt. He did a vag. Ultrasound and said that I don't have any cyst and that was just my ovaries. I am really confused and tired of all the different judgements. How do I know who is right? Where do I go from here? Can someone please help answer my questions?

Hey Hay girl
You should see another doctor thats going to listen to you cause you don't want it to get worse.
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease. It does not show up in blood work, urine samples or x-rays. If you have pain in your tummy, stomach, ovaries and if your feeling cold with the chills..pain under and by ribs...pain in your chest or Fast heart rates,weakness or dull abdominal pains and yellow discharge. Ask a Doctor to check your cervix
|

replied September 27th, 2008
severe pain possibly relating to problems with iud
Hey ladies....I am a 28 year old mother of 4 beautiful girls and I have been researching the Mirena iud and problems which occur from it. And since reading your posts..I feel that we all have some symptoms in common.
My story starts 2.5 years ago.....a few months after having my 4th and last child. I figured that I had enough with my 4 children that I was not looking to get pregnant too soon after. I decided to insert the Mirena iud since my doctor recommended it in replacement of tying my tubes. Within 1 month, they asked to do a routine ultrasound to check the placement of the IUD. To my surprise they discovered a cyst. I had been experiencing much pain the day before and the day of the ultrasound. They said that I shouldn't worry and that it was completely normal.
I have had the past 2 years of chronic pelvic pain and disrupted periods, however, none of the doctors in my area and those surrounding seem to want to investigate the problem. I am getting so frustrated and my pain is not staying away. I go through days and sometime weeks without pain and then suddenly, there it is!
i feel like my health is deteriorating slowly. I am always tired and feel tired. I eat and feel full after a few bites, even though I know I am very hungry. My appetites are up and down and I suffer from severe headaches the past week and a half. I thought that maybe I was pregnant and that the iud had protruded into my abdomen,but the test came back negative. So I bought the most expensive test that was digital and re-tested.....still negative. All I can do is try to research on the internet, but I feel that I am scaring myself and trying to self-diagnose in desperation.
Is there anyone else that has similar symptoms to mine?
I hope that you all get your answers somehow and that you are able to solve whatever the problem may be without difficulty. Good luck to you all!
Thanks for listening.
|

replied September 29th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Have you considered getting the IUD removed? If it is causing you discomfort, it might be the best thing for you.

How many doctors have you been to about your problem? I'd continue looking until someone gave me an explanation for my pain.
|

replied May 14th, 2009
LITTLEBANDY001
The doctors said i have a cyst on left overy i have pain on my right side and i spot blood a little i dont understand then the pain goseaway then comes back sometimes weeks or a couple months.my last child was 2001 and my tubes were just cut and tied i cant get a doctor cause cant get insuarence.but i will say this the doctors look up on computer or a book and then the doctor tells you whats rong with you.i know this dont help but maybe youll under stand.
|

replied January 29th, 2010
servere cramping 1 yr after having rt ovary removed..........
I had emergency surgery to remove my right ovary feb 2009 (almost a year ago) since then i've had HORRIBLE periods the cramping,bloating,the flo not to mention multipal periods in 3 month time frame i've had 7 periods. I've had more vaginal ultra sounds ct blood work they say theres nothing there on the right side "to hurt" any ideas???? please help.
|

replied June 10th, 2010
i am going through the same thing i am 18 years old and ive been to doctor after doctor and now someone is finally trying to do something about it. they're sending me for a ct scan next week i'm ready for this pain to end. they believe that i have cervical cancer and im terrified they said i might not be able to have any more kids:[ my health has never been good but now this is just another thing wrong i want it all to end
|

replied April 4th, 2012
A few months ago I started having sharp pain from my left ovary. I have pcos and have had to have cysts drained and have had cysts rupture so this wasn't a new pain. I had an ultra sound and pelvic exam done and the only cyst I had was on my right ovary, and that side didn't hurt at all. The sharp pain kept getting more severe which wasn't normal for the pains I've felt before so I went back to the doctor and they did a ct scan with contrast. This showed the vein going from my left kidney to left ovary was huge, a half inch wide, and was pumping to much blood on my ovary and into my uterus, they called it pelvic congestion syndrome. A vascular surgeon embolized my vein (dumped coils in it that clogged it up) and almost immediately the sharp pain was gone. My uterus though continued to feel heavy and irritated. A month later I felt that I could manage my pain and recovered enough to go back to work. I almost made it two weeks before the pelvic pain was too severe to work or walk around for that matter. My left abdomen hurts and my side/back where my kidney is hurts badly too. After ultra sounds, ct scans, blood tests, you name it....nothing is wrong now. The vascular surgeon says he's done everything he can, the obgyn says she can't find anything but to go back to the surgeon, and my family doc says she has no clue and she doesn't know what to do. 3 months now the pain is getting worse, my doctors are out of ideas, and I can't work to pay my bills. I had to ask for antidepressants today so I'd stop crying so much. I'm sick of all the narcotics and I hate being dependent but it feels like I'm never going to get better.
|

replied May 5th, 2012
Chronic pelvic pain when lifting or walking. This is post D&C and continues post hysterectomy. Here is my story:
I turned 50 three years ago and shortly after that my problems began. First my periods became heavy, and then it was non stop hemorrhaging for months. Scans revealed fibroids and a small cyst on my right side but I had no pain. I became severely anemic so my gyn put me on these hormone pills to stop the bleeding. That seemed to help but not completely so a D&C was done. Since then its been nothing but downhill. While I stopped having periods, after the procedure I was in pain. Not the normal cramping I was expecting, but straight up pain. I tried to wait it out but after a few days I also started to feel as if I had a full bladder. It was horrible. I went back to the gyn but she could find nothing wrong. My urine culture tested negative for an infection but just in case she gave me antibiotics. Eventually it got better but never completely, some days would be worse than others. I also noticed that I couldn't lift anything too heavy without making the pain get worse. Even though I was no longer getting my periods I came to regret having done the D&C. Finally I went to my primary who sent me for more tests, incl the CA 125 blood test which showed an elevated level of 99. I was sent to a gyn/onc who was pretty sure I didn't have ovarian cancer but recommended a hysterectomy. (sometimes cysts and fibroids could make a CA 125 blood test come up false/positive) I went for a 2nd opinion and they agreed but thought I should wait to have the surgery done. Eight months later the blood levels increased to 107 and the pelvic pain was still an on and off deal. Finally in January of 2012 I had a complete hysterectomy. I prayed that this was the solution to my problems but 3 months later the pain is not only still there, but it has gotten worse. Now when I walk I feel as if something on my right side starts to hurt and I have to sit down. At night I'm up 2 or 3 times an hour either feeling like I have to use the bathroom or just trying to get comfortable. Lifting anything more than a few pounds is now out of the question and along with the pelvic pain I am now starting to get back and sciatic pain in my right leg. (mostly at night) To top it off my CA 125, which had gone down to 80 after the surgery, has gone back up to 90. ( 35 or below is normal) I don’t know if all these symptoms are related or if I have more than one thing going on, but I'm confused,upset, angry, and just overall on an emotional roller coaster. (although I try to maintain a normal life as much as possible) Its getting diificult to deal with the constant pressure and I wonder what can they be missing? It's 4 in the morning as I write this and have to wonder if I’m hoping that maybe someone out here can help, or if this is my way of just letting things out. This month I have more testing and more Dr's to see. Another gyn/onc.. a urologist, etc. Hopefully I will get answers that could help fix this problem. Just as a last note, cancer doesn't run in the family, and apart from what's been happening in the past 2 1/2 years, I'm otherwise healthy. I don't usually go on forums so if anyone shares any info on here but doesn't get a reply back from me, please feel free to send me a note. Thanks for reading this. I wish everyone the best in their own situations.
|

replied May 28th, 2012
Possibly pudendal nerve damage? Has anyone experienced this post D&C or post hysterectomy? Seeing the urologist on Tuesday, 5/29. Still in pain.. Sad Also, the gyn-onc said I shouldn't worry about the elevated ca-125 because everything is coming up negative. (no ovarain or breast cancer) Wondering if I should go to someone who strictly deals with blood levels.. ??
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied July 22nd, 2012
unknown pelvic pain
Hi, your comment really rang a bell with me, I don't know what I have or what's wrong but after a failed pregnancy and other stuff I have had pelvic pain for a year and a half and in the last few months and esp. weeks it's been getting much worse and I am also feeling really suicidal. I have had the absolute run around with doctors- I have been to so many GPs and so many tests nothing seems to be indicated but at the same time they don't know what is causing it so I am trying to get a gyno appt. for a laparoscopy etc. but it could take 3-6 months to get one. I have also ended up in emerg. dep. a few times now, they give pain meds and all but advise you to leave as there is nothing else they can do apparently. The ultrasounds showed a corpus luteum/or ripened egg that may have become cystic as it was there for about 5 months before it disappeared (along with pain exactly where it was). But the more recent systems feel like infection and I am in agony. The most recent symptom is now I feel like I have a urethral infection/inflamation which is also agonising so I am on 2 kinds of antibiotics and painkillers (pain killers just started taking again tonight because otherwise I might top myself from the chronic pain- it also wears you down psychologically). The antibiotics are not helping at all. I keep ringing the gyno clinic, and they keep saying they might be able to get me in sooner, but then I never anything of it. I am at my wits end. I haven't had any clear diagnosis but from my personal reading I guess it may be either PID or cyst related or maybe even endometriosis (less likely but no idea)and now also some sort of antibiotic resistant infection. Very depressed about it. I want children at some point, scared I may not be able to. Also I have left work- my health broke down from stressful conditions at work, my face kept swelling up, sores that wouldn't heal and rashes, and chronic viral chest infections- actually the chest infection has cleared up 90% from the antibiotics but still lingering- so that's somewhat of a relief. What the hell is wrong with me. Why is it apparently "all so mysterious" to doctors??? take localised tests at the site of the problem why don't they?? not a blood test or swabs at the vagina where there may be no problem. Rather than actually taking samples from where the actual pain is and going from there. I am hanging out for the appt. and surgery if that is what it takes to fix it- but I am scared- a) that I may not even see a gyno for months and b) what if they can't help me so m uch pain
|

replied July 22nd, 2012
Hi, your comment really rang a bell with me, I don't know what I have or what's wrong but after a failed pregnancy and other stuff I have had pelvic pain for a year and a half and in the last few months and esp. weeks it's been getting much worse and I am also feeling really suicidal. I have had the absolute run around with doctors- I have been to so many GPs and so many tests nothing seems to be indicated but at the same time they don't know what is causing it so I am trying to get a gyno appt. for a laparoscopy etc. but it could take 3-6 months to get one. I have also ended up in emerg. dep. a few times now, they give pain meds and all but advise you to leave as there is nothing else they can do apparently. The ultrasounds showed a corpus luteum/or ripened egg that may have become cystic as it was there for about 5 months before it disappeared (along with pain exactly where it was). But the more recent systems feel like infection and I am in agony. The most recent symptom is now I feel like I have a urethral infection/inflamation which is also agonising so I am on 2 kinds of antibiotics and painkillers (pain killers just started taking again tonight because otherwise I might top myself from the chronic pain- it also wears you down psychologically). The antibiotics are not helping at all. I keep ringing the gyno clinic, and they keep saying they might be able to get me in sooner, but then I never anything of it. I am at my wits end. I haven't had any clear diagnosis but from my personal reading I guess it may be either PID or cyst related or maybe even endometriosis (less likely but no idea)and now also some sort of antibiotic resistant infection. Very depressed about it. I want children at some point, scared I may not be able to. Also I have left work- my health broke down from stressful conditions at work, my face kept swelling up, sores that wouldn't heal and rashes, and chronic viral chest infections- actually the chest infection has cleared up 90% from the antibiotics but still lingering- so that's somewhat of a relief. What the hell is wrong with me. Why is it apparently "all so mysterious" to doctors??? take localised tests at the site of the problem why don't they?? not a blood test or swabs at the vagina where there may be no problem. Rather than actually taking samples from where the actual pain is and going from there. I am hanging out for the appt. and surgery if that is what it takes to fix it- but I am scared- a) that I may not even see a gyno for months and b) what if they can't help me so m uch pain
|

replied June 26th, 2013
Pelvic pain
After having my 4 th child I now have a sharp pelvic pain when I move a certain way which spreads to my back then all the way down my leg to my foot all on the right side. I'm worried I have ovarian cancer or cervical! I've had blood work and a pelvic ultrasound I feel it was started during child birth I had the epidural which was put in wrong had to be attempted to be put in again by another dr. After several attempts hitting my spine and nerves I think that caused permanent nerve damage!
|
12 >>