Medical Questions > Mens Health > Mens Conditions Forum

Jock Itch?

Must Read
Millions of men experience prostate problems every year. But what defines prostate enlargement and how does the prostate grow as it enlarges?...
What puts a man at risk of having an enlarged prostate? And what causes the prostate to grow in the first place? Answer your questions here....
An enlarged prostate rarely occur before a man is 40. Learn the signs and symptoms BEFORE they occur. And know when to seek help for bothersome symptoms....
Hi, about a month and a half ago I developed irritation on my inner thigh, its like pink bumps in a circle, not much severe itching where I have to touch the area or discomfort except maybe when today I put calamine lotion on the area and the skin started to crack a little. I exercise frequently so there's sweat/dampness in the area from time to time, I also share towels with people in my house, all whom exercise frequently. There's no open sores or anything, I just want to be assured it's not say scabies or anything else.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 15th, 2005
I would say that it is either "jock itch" or a common fungus. I don't remember exactly what the fungus is called, but it is a fungus that you can get from say a weight bench in a gym where as it is easily spread through sweat and that sort of thing. If it is only on your inner thigh only and has not spread anywhere else on your body though, it is probably "jock itch". Jock itch is basically a male yeast infection, if that makes any sense. There is a perscription creme that you can ask your doctor about, it is a clotrimazole and betamethasone dipropionate cream, not exactly sure what the brand name is. This would possibly help better than anything you can get over the counter. If it were to be the fungus, then you will have to go to your doctor to get rid of it. It is an annoying little fungus! You can get either a pill or cream to use for this, and I think maye a soap or body wash or something of that nature too. From experience though, if you do go to the doctor for it, ask for the pill, it is by far the best of all to treat the fungus. I highly doubt though that your "rash" is anything like scabies or anything of the sort! I hope this helps.
|

replied December 16th, 2005
Yup
Yup I went to the doctor today, he said it was ringworm, basically jock itch and gave me a creme to put on it, I really appreciate your follow up, thank you so much.
|

replied August 8th, 2008
Experienced User
jock itch
once being a sufferer of chronic jock rot my theory is that it isn't the sweating so much as it is the content (maybe acid level) of your sweat that causes the actual irritation. i sent someone earleir a reply and i will say it again---as a young adult someone suggest regular applications of apple cider vinegar. now at 55 yrs, i have yet to have any recurrance of jock rot! go figure
|

replied July 23rd, 2012
Hi Atusas,

I've been dealing with jock rot now for about 8 months and it sometimes 'tricks' me where it appears to get better, then suddenly comes out bad in a blitzkreig fashion. I've been applying apple cider vinegar from time to time, it stings for a while, but then the itch becomes worse and I have to shower and apply more soothing creams, etc. Can you let me know how it is that you are supposed to actually apply the ACV? I've just been putting it on cotton squares and applying to my skin.

Thanks,

John
|
Quick Reply