Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Birth Control And Hair Loss

Must Read
Hair loss affects more than half of the population by age 60. Start here for basic info on hair loss and types of hair loss that doctors can diagnose....
What causes hair loss? Read on for a complete list of possible causes so that you can evaluate and identify hair loss causes....
Do you know the early signs of hair loss? And when does hair loss require medical attention? Get better results for treating hair loss by identifying it early....
Do some types of birth control make you loose your hair? Lately my hair has been comming out whenever I brush or shower a lot more than usual and I read somewhere that it can....I just started birth control a week ago
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 12th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Mini pills (progestin only) are more likely to cause excessive hair growth or loss than regular pills, but that doesn't mean it cannot happen to you. Also know that different times of the year we shed more hairs and skin than others, so it could be shedding. It is worries you please contact your doc.
|

replied December 12th, 2005
Experienced User
B Vitamins
Try taking a multivitamin that has a good source of b vitamins, or perhaps just take a b-complex vitamin. It usually helps
|

replied December 14th, 2005
Losing Har
I have been on ovcon50 for three months and I have been losing my hair everytime I simply scratch my head! I wake up in the morning and it looks like I have lost 70 hairs!!! So I am hoping it is because of these pills, also I read yesterday that is you are low on iron this will happen, and I know for sure I have been anemic since I had my baby 4 months ago. So I decided to take a flinstone chewable with iron everyday from now on, I am hoping it will stop soon too!!
|

replied January 22nd, 2006
I've been on birth control for 15 days and my hair is falling out so badly! Did you ever come to any conclusions about your hair loss? Did it stop?
|

replied January 23rd, 2006
I have been on birth control for about 7 months now and I too noticed hair loss in the first few months. But mine slowd down, and I believe it stopped.. My hair is much thinner now. But im not complaning, I had thick hair to start with.. But you should be fine
|
Quick Reply