Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gout Forum

Is Tuna High In Purine? It Is My Favorite

Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....
I hope I can eat this . Thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper JYY2
|

replied December 10th, 2005
Experienced User
Tuna is high in uric acid. Just don't eat too much of it to jolt the uric acid level to trigger gout.

Uric acid (ua) content of some foods per 100 grams are: tuna-260 mg, sardines in oil-480; liver (beef)-550; beef-130; chicken-120, pork-140; apple-15, banana-60, broccoli-80, spinach-60, kale-50, asparagus-25, cabbage 22, potato-16, lettuce-13, tomato-11, cherry (sweet)-7, bread-14; beer-8~13.

There are other food and drink that contains no ua but can raise the blood ua level, e.G., alcohol, fructose, acidic foods and drinks, etc.
|

Cmon.
Ok, the bottom line is, eat what you want but dont pig out.
Otherwise if you avoid everything on these lists, you end up with....

Lettuce.

This whole diet issue is about quantity more than anything else.
It seems pretty obvious coming from this gout sufferer.
|

Experienced User
It is obvious that the total amount of uric acid (ua) we eat is the sum of the ua in each food in the diet. Unfortunately, there are so much misinformation out there that: if you have gout you cannot eat or have to avoid this and that. By the way, what did I do wrong in answering joeynhi's question that "...I hope I can eat this".

Nevertheless, in the opinion of this former gout sufferer, the philosophy such as "this whole diet issue is about quantity more than anything else" alone, can be detrimental to gout. For example, a person who gives up beer for the same quantity of banana is actually eating 5 times as much uric acid as before the switch. We have to look into numbers, the ua content of foods, to know how much ua we are eating.
|

replied August 2nd, 2011
That is completely false. Bananas are among the lowest in purine content foods while beer is among the highest. See www.acumedico.com/purine.htm . Purine table
|

That sux, because beer and bananas go well together
|

replied January 3rd, 2008
Uric Acid In Foods
i realize there hasn't been anything posted on here for 2 years, but for anyone who might be reading this now, from what i gather in my research, it is not uric acid in food that is a problem, it is high purines. here's a link with info on that. i suffer from uric acid kidney stones, not gout, but the causes and treatments are for the most part identical. it would be important to note that complete elimination of uric acid/purines can also be detrimental.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uric_acid#Sou rces_of_uric_acid
|

replied February 8th, 2014
"GOUT"
Here is the real "skinny". Foods that are high in purines cause gout in those people who have a metabolic defect in the production of xanthine oxidase. This causes the production of monosodium urate crystals. The propensity is for these crystals to be deposited in the first mtpj of the foot but it can be in other joints. They act like little shards of glass in the joint and tear up the joint cartilage...thus the severe pain.
|
Quick Reply