Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Sore After Sex (Page 1)

My vagina is very sore after sex. It gets a little puffy and it's extremely sensitive. If I try to touch it gently, it burns. Especially right underneath the opening. That seems to be where the most friction is during sex. The soreness lasts for a few days. I haven't been having sex that long, and I only have sex with my boyfriend who i've been dating for three years. Sex hurt the first time and it got better, but this soreness never went away. Is this normal or should I see my doctor?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ashes
|

replied December 12th, 2005
I experience the same thing, especially the burning! But I think I have extra skin down there which sometimes makes it hard for my boyfriend to enter me and also causes it to rub n get really sore and uncomfortable.... I think seeing a doctor is the best thing to do, thats what i'm planning to do
|

replied April 16th, 2011
i think it is because when you dont have sex for a long time everything closes so its tight so after it gets loose you experience soreness.. but too if your not lubricated too.
|

replied January 22nd, 2012
I have a question, I have never had bumps on the inside of my vagina I dont know what it is. could it just be from rough sex? And not being use to having sex?
|

replied April 14th, 2012
Pain outside of vagina after intercourse
Hi there! ANY bumps inside the vagina should be reported to your OBGYN. It could be a number of things. I do want to let let the other posters know that I had sex for the first time in a year this morning and i am questioning the pain around the outside of my vagina(labia). I put some grapeseed oil on it so that it does not get infected and it was soothing. I was thinking that maybe putting a little grapeseed oil on the outside(daily) might make the skin a bit more pliable and healthy for sexual intercourse. I am gonna try this for a while because in all seriousness, my brain wants it everyday but my vagina tells me NO! Good luck people...
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Sore
I hope you don't mind a man replying to your post. It seems that everyone posts everywhere on this forum.

Anyway, it doesn't seem like there is anything wrong with your body, just friction as you say, and this could be because you're not getting 'wet' enough. Maybe it would be good to try some sort of lubricant which might reduce the friction on this area? It would need to be a water-based lubricant if your boyfriend uses condoms as petrol-based lubricants can erode the latex causing the condom to split.

I don't know if it would also help, but maybe try a change of position that puts less pressure on this area during penetration.

Take care...
|

replied January 31st, 2014
How long does the pain last
|

Active User, very eHealthy
I usually get swelled up after sex a bit, but it goes away after a few hours, more so after clitoral stimulation.

And it will sting a bit when I have my first pee afterwards, (especially for rough sex!) but nothing serious.

If you were to have sex at night before going to sleep it, would be gone by the time you wake up. ( the puffiness)

your fine!!! Completely normal
|
Users who thank Sammy001 for this post: imnotsurejoe  oliviaorca  sweetiepie2121 

replied December 13th, 2005
This has happened to me a couple of times, and both times I had a yeast infection. My clitoris swelled quite a bit, and it burned and was swolen. I would go to the doctor and rule out a yeast infection, especially if it's quite severe. Some swelling does happen during intercorse, but most women can tell what normal swelling is, and when there's a problem. Hope I helped!
|

Do you use a condom? When my husband and I first had sex, we used condoms, and they caused a lot of extra friction that made me really sore. It got to the point where I couldn't have sex for a week or two while I healed. Now i'm on the pill and because i'm married i'm not worried about std's so we don't use any barrier method and its much better.
|

It's just your hymen getting in the way, most likely. Your hymen is skin that encircles that vaginal opening and stretches/breaks when first having intercourse. I have been having intercourse since july, and the first several times caused some discomfort and itching. Sometimes, even now, if my boyfriend and I don't do it for a week and a half or more (maybe because of period...Busy schedule, etc.), it will still be irritated.

If it is causing discomfort, don't have intercourse for 3-6 days. Check it with a mirror. I'm not sure if petroleum jelly is safe to use, but ask someone you know what is best to use...Or maybe someone here has good advice. Just let it heal! If after several days it is itching and causing issues...Call your doctor or a clinic and ask to see someone.

Good luck!
|

replied December 19th, 2005
Experienced User
I wouldn't worry about it unless if the pain persists.
Condoms could cause the irritation.
Also, I lost my virginity a week ago and have had sex 5 times this week. I'm sore too!!!
It should go away.
Just take things easy for a while and don't have sex too much.
Your boyfriend will understand.
Take a break from sex and tell him that your sore.
|

replied December 20th, 2005
Sore After Sex
Well i'm going to be totally honest me and my boyfriend had quite a lot f sex today and i'm so sore...It's only when I go to the loo and touch the area (hymen). I think its just due to lack of lubrication and I think the rest of you guys have the same issue. We dont use condoms becasue im on the pill and before this relationship both of us were virgins.

I would say go to the docs but then again I wudnt cuz im a wuss lol!

Take care guys hope ur feelin better soon!X
|

replied February 5th, 2009
---Sore after Sex
I Completely understand what your talking about, 95% of the time when i have sex with my boyfriend i get soo sore and
it even burns to pee for a day or so, Some times i bleed from it. I decided to make a doctors appointment because apparantley there is this infection called atrophic vaginitis, and its dangerous not to go to the doctor and not get it checked out because it could be anything. What i read though is that it is caused because the skin around the vagina is too thin which causes irritation and pain, but it can be fixed if you go to a doctor. Why live with it when it can be cured?
|

replied February 15th, 2009
Sore After Sex
Ive been with my boyfriend for 3 years now and about a year ago i started getting sore during sex...it went away after a few days or so then all of a sudden its come back. Me and my boyfriend have sex at least 2 times a day! and it never effected me before so why now? ive been sore for about a week or so now and it wont go away im very concerned.

We use condoms and im thinking about going on to the pill but not quite sure yet. I spoke to my boyfriends sister and she said she is illergic to condoms and she is on the pill because of it. Maybe thats why im sore? i no im due for a period in a couple of days maybe that will cure it and give me time to relax and get cured.

Its only sore but today it started to burn when i pee and im sorried its getting worse! what should i do!!!!!
|

replied April 19th, 2009
sore
yea i just had sex like a couple days ago tuesday to be exact i was soo sore for like three day and now it hurts me to pee . i feel like he may have ripped something what should i doo!!!
|

replied May 17th, 2009
sore after sex
well, everytime im with my boyfriend, we have sex about 4-7 times in that day. we dnt use any condoms because im on the pill , but i think the reason for the soreness is due to rough sex or whenevr the male is going really fast. but i was only sore for a couple of hours and it went away, but hopefully that kind of answered your question.
|

replied June 1st, 2009
Sore after sex
This is currently happening to me and it is quite painful. I do recommend that you see your doctor to get the proper treatment to ease the pain. If there are blisters, they can get infected so seek your doctor's advice. Using a lubricant would be a good idea as well as finding the brand of condom that works well with you!
|

replied June 4th, 2009
Sore after sex
I experience the exact same thing i have had sex twice and each time i got sore the first time we had sex 4 times in 2 days and i got a lil concerned but it stopped after like 72 hours (3 days) after about a week or two i knew nothing was wrong. But this time we had kinda rough sex as you would say and i think that it is just the condoms and friction so i wouldnt say the soreness is not anything to worry about... But the burning might be something and i dont mean to scare you but u may want to go and get that checked out if burning proceed's to get worse..

Hope i helped you out and anyone else in the near future, best of luck.
|

replied July 2nd, 2009
I had this problem so i went to the doctor. she said that it could be a number of things including lack of lubrication but i dont think thats the problem. in any case, she said to pour milk into a container, put ice in it and then dip a cloth in the iced milk and put it on your vagina. it has something to do with the ice bringing out something in the milk. anyway, it doesnt matter how it works all that matters is that it does! anyone experiencing burning after sex, try doing this before.

Good luck and I hope I helped Smile
|
Users who thank dancingrider for this post: marbru68 

replied July 17th, 2009
What can I do 2 stop the Sorness
After me n my boyfriend have sex I get sore... but it only last for a couple of hours... we don't use condoms becuase im on the patch... but sometime it hurts so bad i can't even do it... i don't have an std and i actually get really wet (or my body creats alot of lubercation its self) but after sex I still get sore... we have sex almost 3 times a day or so... sometimes less then that if im sore... what can I do to stop my sorness.... PLEASE HELP
|

replied July 29th, 2009
my boyfriend and i have recently started having sex (ive had sex with others before so im not a virgin) about 3 weeks ago, and we had sex a lot - but 5 days ago we had sex quite a bit in the one day, and then i was sore afterwards. it wasnt that bad though - it hurt to pee and i was a bit swollen but im naturally sensitive down there so ive experienced it many times before. anyway, we had sex again 2 days ago - and it hurt when he went inside me but then when we got going it was ok again... then after it was the most painful thing ever... but we had sex again twice (i know, stupid) and it hurt so much but i didnt say anything... about 8 hours later the pain was so intense i cant even walk, well i can but it looks ridiculous... and my vagina is all puffy and sore... and its been leaking discharge, its not weird coloured or anything its just clear (like when you get turned on) and i have to change underwear like every 5 hrs cos they just get too wet!! it hurts to pee a lot and it feels like he may have scratched me with his fingers or something and it might have gotten infected with soap or i dont even know... it just hurts!!! has this happened to anyone before and how long does it last??? (mine has been going on for 2 days and a bit)
|

replied August 4th, 2009
that sounds like gonorrhea. I would definitely get that checked out. you should not be leaking like that. Maybe for the first hour or so after sex but not every 5 hours. Please get checked out and dont be too embarrassed about it. If you dont get it checked out, it can make matters worse and even prevent you from having children in the future when you are ready.

concerned
|

replied January 2nd, 2012
I am 16 and my boyfriend is 20. We have been together for a good while and we show our love by either having sex or cuddles, since he likes to have sex literally every time I see him which isn't so often because we both have different lifestyles, I get wet so much and very easily but yet my vagina muscles are in the both severe pain ever I get it like 16 hours after sex and it lasts for about another 12 hours. Can anyone tell me what or why its like that? And what I can do about it?
|

replied August 20th, 2013
You are young so it will be sore for you to be having sex. Even if you are feeling very wet perhaps try using lubes. Also make sure you are relaxed! The muscles inside your vagina shouldn't be too sore! Try different positions - him on top and also don't tense up. I had been doing that thinking it would feel nice for my partner. It does but it makes me very sore after, having only started having sex 4 months ago things are tight enough. You will be the same at 16.

Keep clean, keep relaxed, keep lubricated!
|

replied August 7th, 2009
to all the ladies who are sore/puffy/sensitive after sex... i have discovered the cure! i know this is totally mortifying, but go to the pharmacy and buy hemorrhoid wipes... they are completely safe to use on your female parts (unless you're allergic to witch hazel), and do wonders to relieve the burn/itch/puffiness/soreness after sex. i am totally addicted.
|
Quick Reply