Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Help I Feel Like I'm Dying (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Hello;

i've been feeling extremly not normal. I've been diagnosed with anxiety attacks however, I don't seem to be convince that is the case. My physical symptoms are so strong that I feel as though im dying of a terminal illness. I feel so weak and lightheaded and fainty that I think i'm about to collapse. I cry every night hoping that I can feel normal again. I'm indesprate need of help because I feel as though my life is passing me by. I feel my symptoms everyday some days worse than others. Does any one feel like this too?? Can any body help me? I do blood tests on a regular basis and all comes out negative. So why the hell am I feeling this way?? Help help help
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper mspsych
|

replied December 6th, 2005
Anxiety can creat powerful physical symptoms. If you read this forum, you will see many people suffer the same fate. If you have seen a doc and done blood work, then they should have ruled out any catastrophic illness. My advice is to work on dealing with the anxiety. If you need meds, like xanax, then ok...But that does not deal with what is causing your anxiety. I saw someone post a website about how to use accupressure to beat anxiety.You can try hypnotherapy. Type that word into google along with your hometown and a qualified hypnotist may come up. Dr lucinda basset has an anxiety/stress program you can buy...Again several posters say it has done them good. The important thing is to take action and control the anxiety and not let it control you. It is highly likely your body is well, but your mind is off. Good luck
|

replied May 30th, 2012
That was very well put, I have had anxiety, and the best thing to do is take action and control it, not let it control you.
|

replied December 7th, 2005
Thank You
Thanks so much for the advice. I am presently reading lucinda's book: from panic to power, and i'll see how it goes. But my question is: can one experience these symptoms everyday???? I was convinced that anxiety attacks are reoccuring ( once in a while) symptoms when you are stressed. I have no stress in my life.......... Nothing bad has happened to me...........And that's why I cannot understand or accept that my symptoms are anxiety. Anyways............Thank you so much
|

I think that is a myth that you have to be under stress to have anxiety. I mean what is stress anyway?? It is probably different for all of us. If you looked at my life, I am like you, why am I having some anxiety. What I found for myself is that I have an internal dialogue that is pretty negative....But suprisingly I am a positive person. Thinking this way over time, to me , leads to generalized anxiety and then in times of stress probably puts you over the top and you can experience panic attacks. Over the last couple of months I have had gastro issues. I have seen a gi and can't find anything wrong. I told him that maybe it was stress...He looked at me like he smelled a fart....They are just not trained in that area. That is why I say you have to take charge of the situation. Do something to control the anxiety/stress. Reading basset's book is an excellent start.....
|

Pigglet,
i am very sorry to hear that like so many others, you now suffer from anxiety too. I know what its like to have that feeling of wanting to be normal. I know that feeling all too well. I am 23 and i've had anxiety since I was 8 yrs old. I suffered my first panic attack when I was sixteen, and I remember crying because no one around me could understand what I was going through, making me feel like I wasn't normal. Some people can be treated for it and get better while it becomes a lifelong deed for others. Depending on your situation, the best thing you can do is try to learn to cope with it. It's easier said than done I know. Trust me. I know. But you must learn this! You are not alone! Everyone experiances anxiety to a certain degree. Some experiance it more so than others (like us) resulting in anxiety disorder. When you have those feelings try doing something to relieve them. It's stress right? Scream, run, take up a sport or exercise and let that anxiety out. Trust me. It will help a great deal. I hope i've helped you in some way.
|

Csmith223

thanks for your advice..........And i'm glad to hear that i'm not alone. Just was curious...........Do you feel symptoms of anxiety everyday? Do you go to school or work? Does your anxiety impede you from doing your everyday routine?? Sorry I am asking you all these questions it's just because I seem to think that my symptoms are worse than others........... I am so negative, in everything I do and have always been and thus, find it very dificullt to think postive and feel as though I am trapped.........Are you on medication??? Do they help. Anyways thank you for taking the time in answering my questions

good luck to you
|

replied May 22nd, 2012
hey pigglet
i wanted to reply to your post about feeling like you have anxiety worse than others. I know exactly how you feel. I had my first anxiety attack at 16 and im 21 now. I have had alot happen to what i believe caused it. In high school i experienced with drugs and drank alot of alcohol. all of it was bc of peer pressure and the desire to want to fit in.
:/ it really is sad and scary bc now i feel like im never going to be the same again. I used to be the happiest person, nothing ever got me down and now? I feel scared, needy, my memory is dying it feels. Inside i feel like i want to grab my chest and just rip open my chest, and screem and run like a crazy person Sad it really sux and i feel like this everyday and the majority of the time i feel like this around the evening. I used to be afraid to fall asleep bc i felt like i wasnt going to wake up, i dont sleep easily, im moody with my husband, i question everything i do. and at night i just feel like im dying and its scary, makes me sad. I just dont know what to do. I try to not talk about it bc when i do it just makes me think about it more and i physically hurt and its scary. Sad
|

replied May 22nd, 2012
hey pigglet
i wanted to reply to your post about feeling like you have anxiety worse than others. I know exactly how you feel. I had my first anxiety attack at 16 and im 21 now. I have had alot happen to what i believe caused it. In high school i experienced with drugs and drank alot of alcohol. all of it was bc of peer pressure and the desire to want to fit in.
:/ it really is sad and scary bc now i feel like im never going to be the same again. I used to be the happiest person, nothing ever got me down and now? I feel scared, needy, my memory is dying it feels. Inside i feel like i want to grab my chest and just rip open my chest, and screem and run like a crazy person Sad it really sux and i feel like this everyday and the majority of the time i feel like this around the evening. I used to be afraid to fall asleep bc i felt like i wasnt going to wake up, i dont sleep easily, im moody with my husband, i question everything i do. and at night i just feel like im dying and its scary, makes me sad. I just dont know what to do. I try to not talk about it bc when i do it just makes me think about it more and i physically hurt and its scary. Sad
|

replied December 8th, 2005
Pigglet,
i remember a time when I was just as forlorn as you seem to be at the knowledge that I have an anxiety disorder. I remember feeling like I wasn't normal. I remember feeling like something was constantly wrong with me. In fact at times I still go through these feelings. With anxiety disorder, your brain can zone in on a certain pain or symptom in your body and magnify it times ten, causing you to dwell on it. And the more you dwell on it, the more you start thinking negative things like, "why am I hurting like this? Am I having a heart attack? Do I have a tumor? Am I going to die?" and so on. Once you start having those thoughts you become tense and you frighen yourself to the point of panic. The key with this disorder is learning to recognize the stages of anxiety and learning to avoid negative talk. Instead of jumping to conclusions about what's happening to cause the symptom, learn to recognize that the symptom is a symptom of anxiety and nothing more. Try breathing deeply to promote relaxation and instead of negative thoughts think things like, "this is only my disorder trying to get the better of me. Nothing's going to happen to me. I will be okay." it also helps to focus on something like a television show that you enjoy or talking with a friend. I'd like to recommend a book to you that has helped me immensely and hopefully it will help you too. The book is about $20.00 but trust me it's wort it. It's called "the anxiety and phobia workbook," written by edmond j. Bourne. This book along with an anti-depressant has helped me learn to cope with my disorder and made it a lot easier to deal with. I hope it helps you as it has me. Just remember you can beat this! And you'll have friends here on the forum to support you. Remember this.
Christy smith
|

replied October 19th, 2011
That book saved me! You are so right Smile
|

Lots of Thanks
Hey christy,

thank you so much for the advice i'm glad to know that there are people who are in the same shoes as I and I don't feel so much that i'm going crazy. Do you mind me asking what kind of ant- depp oyu were on??? And was it easy to start and ease off the meds? Well I will definatley go buy the book...............Hope all goes well and i'm glad to hear that you were strong enough to beat this powerful disorder

jen
|

Jen,
i have been on many anti-depressants. Never more than one at a time though. I've been on zoloft, paxil, celexa, and I am currently on the generic form of prozac. It's like a trial and error thing because some anti-depressants will work with you while others will not. Prozac will actually get into your system quicker than some of the other meds and will work faster for you. However, like I said, some work, some won"t. It really depends on the person as well as a doctor's supervision. Sedatives are also prescribed sometimes depending on the severity of the anxiety. Xanax is one of the leading ones. However, i'd like to recommend something less dramitic than that. Have you ever heard of valerian root? Valerian is an herbal supplement which can be purchased at your local pharmacy and the purpose is to help promote relaxation without the harsh side effects of prescribed sedatives. Plus you're not as likely to become addicted to it. Be sure to check ingrediants as with all meds or supplements to make sure you're not allergic to it, and never take more than recommended. Feel free to ask questions anytime. Thats what i'm here for. And as for easing on or off the meds? Like I said it depends on the person and how thier bodies accept the meds. I went through several and finally found that the prozac agrees with me best.
|

replied December 9th, 2005
Christy,

thank you again. I guess i'm a little reluctant to get on meds cuz i'm afraid that they won't help, and therefore will get more discouraged. I'm afraid of the side effects I was told that they make you very sleepy.............Ahh i'm afaraid of everything....I'm afraid that I will never be able to feel normal again and it very much frustrates me. What I have trouble accepting is that the physical symptoms I feel (extremely fatigued, fainty, and light headedness) are everyday and constantly. However, I was under the assumption that anxiety are attacks that are on and off, when faced with stressed etc. Another thing that I question is that I have no stresses in my life: I can only say that my biggest stress and perhaps my only stress is me not feeling well everyday and thus, leads me to feel hopelessness. I've never been abused, no family problems, work and school is fine so I find it difficult for me to accept that as the Dr. Would say" you are stressed, or something is bothering you" because nothing is..........Except my health!
Christy what were some of the symptoms that you had or still have? Do you know if blood test would be sufficient to detect if there was a problem? Sorry for the many questions its just that I want to understand this dilemma more thourghly.
Thank you so much for your understanding.
|

replied December 9th, 2005
Stress can come from many things. It can be emotional or physical. I hope you really know that more people are walking around with anxiety than not. It is so common! I have had anxiety, panic attacks at times for about 12 years now. I was scared of them for a very long time, but I realized it is impossible to live like that. Also, now I have some physical problems as a result of constantly stressing my body out. I have esophogitis, gerd, tmj and tinnitus. This is what it took to calm me down. It is hard, but it is possible. I have been on meds. I am on buspar now. I can say I like buspar the best, and it is easy to go off of.There are so many ways to get help now. While you are working on the emotional part of it, feed your body healthy foods, maybe even see a nutritionist-you would be amazed what they have to say about anxiety. They think some of this is a food allergy and a defiecency of sorts. I do not know. I am very open minded at this point in my life. I will tell you that my docor has explained to me that people with anxiety issues/panic are usually cautious people and scared of becoming addicted to anything. Right now, you need to do whatever you need to do to calm down and get a grip on what is happening. It will happen, if you fight it and worry about it it will produce a viscious cycle in your life. Good luck.
|

replied December 10th, 2005
Oh pigglet--

i feel for you. Panic attacks are the most horrible thing I have ever experienced. I had probably 5 per day at the worst point. I was constantly checking my chest to make sure my heart was still beating, or feeling dizzy, confused, hopeless...All of these things you describe. My panic was extremely body-oriented and I thought I was dying, too. I became a "frequent flier" at the emergency room because I kept thinking that there was something was wrong with my body, but nothing was ever wrong.

The thing that finally happened: I went to a primary care physician and he noticed I was anxious. He called my psychologist (who I hadn't seen when I should have) and made an appointment for the next day. In the meantime, he prescribed a tiny amount of ativan (it's like valium) to calm me down immediately. I am so afraid to take meds--i am afraid of allergic reactions even though i'm not allergic to any medications--so I got the prescription, took it, and sat in the lobby of the hospital, thinking I would be safe there if anything were to happen.

What happened? I began to feel better after 15 minutes, and I felt safer because this seemed like proof that I was physically okay if the ativan could make me feel better. It helped me understand that I could feel better and that I should get back into therapy and meds right away.

My therapist also sent me to an ayurvedic doctor/chiropractor, to help get me back in balance. In ayurveda, having the "doshas" out of balance can cause anxiety among other things. I have also found acupuncture to be soothing once I got over the anxiety about the needles.

Long story short...It is absolute hell, but you can feel normal again. You may not believe this now, but you can.

Hang tough.

Meghan
|

replied December 12th, 2005
Experienced User
I Do
I have symptoms every day and I can hardly take it. Many nights I can't even sleep cuz the pain is so bad and I cry and worry all day about these things. First I had heart attack symptoms, and now I think I have dvt or a pulmonary embolism so I have constant leg and chest pain and feels like I can't breathe, like I always have to clear my throat or cough. I am only 20 yrs old...I was given xanax by the Dr. But i'm afraid to take them regularly cuz of what might be side effects of the medicine. It seems like everyone on here has come-and-go symptoms but mine are constant and I don't think of anything else all day or night.
|

replied September 15th, 2011
Hi I dont have these symptoms but my husband does it hurts me when he says he wants to die because he now thinks he has cancer and he is experiencing pain for quite some time now and he does have some problems he didnt want the operations that he needed always wanting to put them off. Now he wants to do something about it but it takes time and tests and he is impatient or says he has to build him self up to get the tests. Now he is in the hospital because he took too many of his pain pills and sleeping pills and pills for anxiety. He is telling me he wants to die, now he is rufusing to eat. I am trying to help him but I am at a loss now ...did the meds help at all you?
|

replied October 18th, 2011
constant battle
you are not alone, my symptoms are all i think about from the second i wake up until i fall asleep at night. in class, at the dining hall, at football games, the gym. anxiety haunts me every second of every day.
|

replied December 12th, 2005
Experienced User
Xanax helped me at the worst time in my life with my anxiety. I was on them for about 4 months - .25mg 3 times a day. When I thought that I could handle the anxiety I cut down to 2 a day and then 1 etc etc.

I too felt that anxiety was something that came on in an flash and then was gone in a flash. After months I realised that you live with it each and every day it is just the depth of it that varies.

Don't be afraid to go on medication - it will help until you find ways that help you deal with the anxiety! I have been off my meds for 6 months and I am learning other ways. I still have bad days and I still have great days. Learning not to let it take hold of your life will make it take a back seat and then you can get on with your life!

Each of us can deal with this and each day that we do deal with it makes us stronger!
|

replied December 13th, 2005
Thank You
Thanks a bunch its good to hear I have support and there is hope for me.
I will try to keep strong and think positive and hope for the best
|

replied May 18th, 2006
I Know It Is Hard to Do
But just begin telling yourself that you don' t have to reisist this experience, the resistance makes it worse.

Realize it is a normal human experience that many people have, maybe you can't when you are having it, but when you aren't, be aware that it is within the human experience.

So that each time you have it, you are better equipped not to panic beause you think it is so abnormal.

Be careful about any benzodiazipines, they are the hardest drug to get off of.

Try to stay focused on whatever you are doing, make some lists daily to make sure you know what to do, and when you get anxious, take a deep breath and reach for your list, put one foot in front of the other, and just keep going. Say , this too shall pass.

You be the leader of your body. Not, you, the mind, but, you, the being.

Do this always, and I believe you will make permanent changes to your self. Dedication is required, but don't over look other help, just do stay focused!
|

replied February 24th, 2007
Hey Piglet
you need to sit back with a bowl of ice cream and eat it and look at all the crevaces and mounds and indulge and realize that everything is ok. ive struggled with depression and anxiety and i still do. i jump to conclusions about health related things. i get scared so easily. last summer i had a battle with my anxiety and alot of it stemmed from one of my best friends dying at the age of twenty. he didnt deserve to go and he died from a health related thing, not from and o.d. or a car accident. so i guess i get paranoid about my health because of what happened to him.

MY FRIEND HERE IS HOW YOU WILL END YOUR ANXIETY....Or let me rephrase that, control it. i know because i deal with it everyday. i learned to control mine.

NUMBER ONE! the most important.

MEDITATION
do this everyday, for at least 15 minutes or as long as u need read up on techniques. it will save ur soul. honestly from a human to a human this has saved me. i was in a dark place, scared, depressed, anxious, thinking i was dying. i found meditation through a friend and it saved me. he took me to a buddhist temple where every wed. ppl come and meditate. it is amazing and an invaluable tool against ur anxiety. please consider this and try it out. it takes time and practice, but i guarantee it will help. meditation is simply training ur brain to control itself so that it doesnt end up controlling u which it is now. when u meditate ur sitting with ur back straight in that classic meditation pose im sure u know lol and u breath in and out calmly, and u think about nothing when thoughts enter ur brain u just shut them out. like i said this takes practice but u will see the benefits the more u do it.

number 2...have fun

go out, do things, be with ppl u love. i love films. i go to the movies all the time. this is gonna sound vein and stupid but go out and buy something nice for yourself. these things help go do stuff. do things that get ur mind off ur mind, if u know what i mean.

number 3 go to a therapist...

im not sure what ur problems are that cause u to feel the way you are but im sure u have some. i do and so does everyone. if u talk to this person she or he will help u deal with ur problems in a private setting. u can lay it all out. all ur fears, anything, and everything.

number 4 and this is a maybe.
try not to take meds.

i know alot of ppl do but i think it should be ur last resort when all else fails. in our world today we rely too much on corporations and there meds to keep us "calm" and under control. but what about when we go off them wont we have the same problems. ur anxiety or whatever ur dealing with is an honest, healthy, normal reaction to things in ur life. u shouldnt shut out these feelings with meds. u need to really try ur best to overcome these things. it is so rewarding to overcome it urself, believe me. dont get me wrong meds are an option, but only the last in my opinion.

number 5 and this is also important...
read "been there, done that? DO THIS!" by sam obitz

it provides great tools to overcome ur thinking processes and try to get u in control of ur thoughts and your mine. it helped me tons! i can continue talking about the book and how great it is but i think u should just read it and find out for urself!

the book is cheap and u can order it here...http://www.supertao.com/

i really hope i helped u. i know how it feels. i just stumbled on this post and had to write to u. i was looking for info on feeling off balance, for about a week now ive been feeling off balance on and off. ive had this cold for a while now ppl tell me i have an ear infection but i dont feel pain in my ear. anyway im going to the doctor tomorrow to check it out. i was so nervous tonight, my girlfriend had to calm me down. SEE! we all get nervous, but we all can learn how to control it.

I REALLY HOPE I HELPED YOU! YOU WILL KNOCK THIS DOWN AND BREAK IT UP!!! ITS NOTHING!!!!

THESE FEELINGS THAT ANXIETY GIVES YOU, THEY ARE A LIE!!
YOUR HEART IS REAL!!
YOU CREATED THIS THING IN YOUR MIND AND YOU CAN BREAK IT!!
I KNOW U CAN because I DID!!

i dunno if u ever saw garden state, i did. it wasnt even that great but theres this one part...when the main character ends up at this house thats sorta like a boat...i dont wanna ruin it for u but something really great is said when he leaves the house...it made me cry. i think if u watch it and really think about what is said at that point you will see what i mean.

HAVE FUN!
|

User Profile
replied February 24th, 2007
Community Volunteer
Stop spamming man or I'll have you blocked. Pig, time for me to intervene. Explain your physical symptoms to me please, a list would be nice. People in this country or in the West in general still don't realize the connection of body to mind though they're always ready to assume the connection between mind and body. Sure, sometimes anxiety can do some crazy things, but there is only so much it can do. Symptoms I assume you're experiencing are typical to one thing, and I say it all the time, blood sugar. I'll explain later, first I need to see what your symptoms are. Bet I can guess some. Flu-like symptoms minus a temperature, light-headedness, shaking, nervousness for no reason, depression that comes out of nowhere five minutes after you felt completely fine, burning or tingling extremities... I'll stop there for now. I'm amazed at how many people that come on here always see to have a link to this problem, and I think the reason is that they're so desperate to find help because doctors are useless in this regard. If this is indeed what you have, it's very easy to fix things, just takes a proper diet.
|

replied March 7th, 2007
I Also Feel Like I'm Dying
This is for Pigglet, and anyone else who feels like they're dying. I feel the same way and I've also been diagnosed with a severe panic disorder, and I have all the symptoms, but I also have other symptons. All of a sudden my chest feels heavy and I'll almost blackout, I get cold and hot tingling sensations going thru my veins, I have a hard time taking a deep breath, my shoulders and arms start feeling funny, most of my body gets a numb, tingling sensation, my face gets really pale, I get pains in the left side of my head, my neck feels funny. The doctors said that I have a healthy heart, but when I start having all of these symptoms, I get really scared that I'm having a heart attack, but I guess I'm just panicking, cuz I'm still here, and if all those times were heart attacks, I'm pretty sure I'd be dead by now. I'm having all of these symptoms now, so if anybody can help me, please reply to this or send me an email to charmed_celestial@yahoo.com. Thanks so much
|

replied July 18th, 2007
Als
Quick question for you guys. I am suffering from anxiety. I always think that I have some type of terminal illness. In regard to that, did anyone ever feel like they were suffering from Lou Gehrig's disease? I've got symptoms that can be attributed to that and I'm really, really scared that I might be dying from that. Please let me know if this is serious. Thanks guys.
|