Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

peptic ulcer , extreme vertigo / dizziness

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
I was diagnosed with a peptic ulcer in june 2005 and the problem quickly went away with basic treatment. However, about 2 months ago I began to feel symptoms of the ulcer again....But nothing too serious. Skip forward a week, and after a strong cup of coffee I experienced extreme vertigo/dizziness that lasted several hours. The next day I had similar problems along with a serious headache and vomiting without any signs of blood.

My doctor ran a lot of tests, including diabetes, cholesterol, hepatitus (sp?), but everything checked out fine.

The wooziness, however, is still present, particularly in the afternoon/early evening. Mornings are fine. Any ideas what this could be? I am currently in the czech republic and unfortunately my czech is quite adequate to converse about my conditions with my local doctor. Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper johntn
|

replied September 23rd, 2008
Dizziness and fainting
I have not been in enough testing to be diagnosed with an ulcer yet but it is what I believe I have.

Certain foods soothe it at first but cause real trouble a few hours later:

1: coffee
2: pepperoni or sausage (i.e. on pizza)
3: tomatoes
4: anything salty
5: anything spicy hot

Carrots seem to be ok

I get dizziness and a tendency to almost blackout (but not quite) - I can feel the palpitating in my chest cavity (near my stomach) and blood rushes to my head (causing visible flushing redness) and this is when I feel faint, dizzy and disoriented.

I've only fallen down once and was able to get back up almost immediately.

I'm 51 yrs old, 6'1" and 268 lbs.
|

replied July 12th, 2009
A mistake i made to soothe symptoms was to drink milk - i love milk! However the amount of acid needed to be produced to digest it causes too many other problems- i take daily medication to help, and drink soya milk - okonce used to it!
|

User Profile
replied July 19th, 2009
I have the same issues... just started after they found an ulcer and put me on protonix. I know some of the side effects are vertigo. It seems to get worse as you eat too. i am 5 years post bypass. I try to avoid coffee and dont want any medicine for vertigo. Some of the meds have reverse reactions on me, like benadryl makes me hyper.
|