Medical Questions > Parenting > Toddlers Forum

Clenched Fists (Page 1)

Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....
My 2-year old is clenching her fists all the time so tight she's leaving nail marks in her hands. For example, she'll pick up her cup with fists instead of using her fingers. Is this a symptom of something?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper cazcazzy
|

replied May 23rd, 2008
My 4 year old
Hi my 4 year old son has just started doing this as well. Were you able to find anything out as to what it might be? I took him to the Pediatrician and they said everything seems fine... Curious to see!

Thanks,
Christopher

***Edited*** Please do not put personal information in posts. You need to protect your identity. Your friendly mod-monkeygirl22.
|

replied April 6th, 2009
Thank goodness!!
Someone else in same boat - my 2.5 year old has started doing this again - he has been through two phases of it before but stopped just as fast as he started. This time, it worries me enough to try and find out more about it. I have several theories - my initial one last year was that he had somehow not outgrown the infantile reflex, but as he has totally normal finger function and dexterity, this can't be the answer. Second was a theory that maybe his nerve endings hurt or something, but again, no sign of pain or distress when he does use his fingers to do things. Then I considered that maybe he was just experimenting, seeing what it was like. This was sort of borne out by the fact that at same time he sometimes switches to eating with his left hand even though he is right handed - I thought it was probably experimental, trying to see if he could make himself ambidextrous. He's a very bright (gifted) little boy, and excellent with numbers etc. I'd be curious to know if your two kids are bright too as that might be the solution - that they get bored and just try something new for a while until they lose interest. As I have been at such a loss to explain it, I confess my final theory was that if it wasn't something neurological, then maybe in some past life he was crippled with arthritis and he's sort of forgotten that he has fingers again. It is frustrating to watch. If anyone has any success in finding out anything about this behaviour, please let me know!
|

replied August 26th, 2009
I was hoping to find answers here too. My son is 2 and 1/2 and has recently started this. Holding his cup with closed fists. He seems to use his hands fine and doesn't seem to be in pain either. I guess after reading the other posts it seems like it might be something normal but concerning for parents that tend to worry, like myself. Thanks for the postings. ps My son seems to be very bright as well. Very good with counting, identifying letters, etc.
|

replied September 26th, 2009
My son is 3 and he constantly has clenched fists. He usually doesn't try to pick things up with clenched fists, but whenever he is in his car seat, watching tv, being read to, or basically any time he is not using his hands--he is clenched tight!!! He is our third child and our other childen never did this. By all accounts, he is a happy, well developed, social little boy---it just seems so odd. I am guessing it is just a quirky personality trait.
|

replied November 13th, 2009
clenched fists
my 2 year old also does this. he is very bright but always has his fists clenched when he is eating or inactive. he sometimes picks up objects with his fists or asks me to feed him so he doesn't have to open his hands. I have noticed when he is playing that if his hands are open as time goes on and he is playing his hands will curl up into a loose fist almost as though the muscles are to tight and they are pulling his hand shut when he relaxes. I will be taking him in to our pediatrician to have him checked next week. I'm glad to know I'm not alone with this. It has been worying me for several months.
|

replied December 6th, 2009
My youngest son (nearly 3) has just started doing this today. He had the Swine Flu jab yesterday and I hope it's not linked. He is very bright and good with letters and numbers. (His older sibling is Autistic.) If he hasn't stopped doing it by mid week I am taking him to the doctors.
|

replied December 27th, 2009
Clenched fists
My son is also 2 1/2 and clinching his fists a lot. It seems like all of our children are around the same age and are all boys. I wonder if this is a boy thing?! I mentioned it to my pediatrician last week and he said someone else had asked him about that. He told me that as long as my son seems normal and healthy otherwise, not to worry about it. My son also seems pretty bright. Please keep me posted if you learn anything more about this.
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied June 9th, 2011
Mine is a lil girl,2 as well she just started doin it. She dont say it hurts but will use it some times i am very worryed its been goin on for 5 days now have u heard anything if so please please please email me i am very worryed it could be a musle problem
|

replied January 3rd, 2010
clenched fists
My son is 2 and just started doing this a month ago. He is also very bright verbally as well as with math skills, for his age. He has a half brother who has epilepsy and is on the autism spectrum and I am concerned this is a neurological issue. I thought of taking him to the doctor but I'm sure she will tell me I worry too much. Anyone else get answeres form their doctor?
|

replied March 12th, 2010
Everyones post was a boy, but mine is a 2 1/2 year old girl. Developmentally on target. no history of anything, no family history of anything. I am now becoming concerned because she does complain of hurting quite a bit especially at night. She picks things up with clinched hands, you have to pry her fingers open. Now she doesnt say anything about it hurting when you pry them open. She starts out the day with an occasional clinch, but as the day goes on it gets worse till it is all she does. Anyone with ideas or suggestions would be appreciated we just recently moved and have yet to find a pediatrician i feel comfortable with yet. Sad
|

replied May 26th, 2010
Was looking for an answer to this as well! My 2 1/2 yr old boy clenches his fist often. He hasn't tried to pick things up yet with clenched fists, but does it often during play or watching tv. He is also very bright! He knows things that my oldest boy didn't even know until he was 4 or 5! I feel better finding out that it is more common than I realized! Thanks everyone!
|

replied June 26th, 2010
My daughter also just started this. She is 2 1/2. When she isn't eating, her fists are clenched and she tells me that she does it because her hands are dirty. She doesnt seem to be in any pain, but it worries me. She also tried to pick things up without relaxing her hands.
|

replied July 1st, 2010
My 2 year 3 month old daughter does this too. She clenches her fists even while walking, playing, picking up her cup, etc. She is aslo very bright for her age: counting, talking, colors, etc. A few months ago, she was complaining about joint pain so I took her to a pediatric rheumatologist who said everything was fine so far. I am going to call her back and make another appointment.
|

replied August 31st, 2010
I just noticed the last couple of days my son who will be be 3 next month doing this w/ his left hand only. Especially when he has not had a nap. He too is very bright. He knows & can identify his alphabet, shapes and numbers to 20.
I'll be observing him this week & if it continues I'll be taking him in. I ask him if his hand is feeling okay and he tells me it's good?
|

replied November 16th, 2010
My 2.5 year old daughter just started doing this two days ago. She is also very bright. And, it also worries me. When I was asking her more about it today, she said, "Mommy. I don't want you to ask about hands." She says that her hands are closed because they hurt. She will not open them for anything; gets very frustrated because she can't color with fisted hands (though she's trying...). After a visit at the family doctor yesterday, we've got an appointment with a neurologist tomorrow and I've also got a referral for the chiropractor.
|

replied January 3rd, 2011
Clenched fists too!
Curious about any updates. My daughter is 2-1/2 and I notice when I am reading to her or she is watching tv, she has her hands clenched closed. Has anyone gotten any doctor advice on this yet?
|

replied January 16th, 2011
my daughter is 1 1/2 and she started doing the same thing, clenching her left hand specifically and although she opens it sometimes, she seems to like having it closed it does not hurt she gives you five and holds her bottle with that hand, does anyone know what this means?
|

replied June 9th, 2011
my lil one she is 2 and does the same thing have u heard aanything
|

replied January 18th, 2011
clenching fists
hi all, i am of the understanding that it is stress. Possibly transferred from me. My husband and i are both very stressed and have been for a while. i think he is picking up on it. Maternal Health Nurse suggested getting him a stress ball or 2 and when i see him clenching, say "squeeze the ball really hard for mummy! show me how hard you can squeeze it!" make it fun. i haven't tried it, but will soon. Boredom and stress i am thinking.
|

replied March 11th, 2011
My 2 year old's right hand is always in a fist too...
My 2 year old Son is doing this. He only does it with his right hand. Forcing him to use his left hand. He will pick up his cup with his left hand open and his right hand in a fist. Last time I took him for his checkup the Dr. didnt seem worried about it. He said it was normal but im more worried about it now because he is doing it a lot more.
|

replied April 2nd, 2011
I feel better for reading all of these posts, my little boy is doing this when he's not using his hands. When I ask if they hurt he says no. He has been doing it for about two months now, he was 3 last month.
|
12 >>
Tags: symptom
Quick Reply