Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

Why Is My Baby's Nose Orange?

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
My child's nose is orange in pictures. Does anyone know why? Is it lack of something in his diet? He's 8 months old. Am I the only one with this problem?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper BegginerMom
|

replied December 4th, 2005
My mom told me when I was older that my nose was always orange when I was a baby. She asked my dr about it and he said that large quantaties of beta carotine in infants can change the pigment in their skin. She said that made sense, because the only baby food I liked was mashed up carrots, so she fed them to me a lot. Do you feed your baby lots of foods that have beta carotine in them? Carrots are the only thing I know of that has a lot of it, but other veggies might, also-- like sweet potatoes, maybe? Hope this helps.
|

replied December 4th, 2005
Thanks... I kinda thought it was that? He does love both, carrots and sweet potatoes.
|

replied April 30th, 2007
My 8 month old Daughters nose is yellowish-orange also!! I am so glad I found someone that experiences that too! I was beginning to worry. She LOVES sweet potatoes, squash and carrots. It totally explains the orange nose pictures.
|

replied April 30th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
lol...yea it's from the carrots & other veggies containg beta carotine!!

How cuuuuute!!

Sarah
|

replied June 4th, 2007
Re: Why Is My Baby's Nose Orange?
Bailee wrote:
My child's nose is orange in pictures. Does anyone know why? Is it lack of something in his diet? He's 8 months old. Am I the only one with this problem?

Hi Bailee. My sweet baby boy is almost 8 months also. His little nose is also orangy especially in pictures and its because of the beta carotene in certain foods. He loves sweet potatoes and since they are so nutritious, I feed them to him often. The orange nose is completely harmless and will go away if you stop feeding orange foods.
|

replied July 11th, 2007
I have a similar problem. There's little orange dots on my 3 1/2 month old's legs and shes not eating yet. Just drinking formula. Can any one help me with this one? I just noticed it in the past 2 weeks. I don't think that there's no beta carotine in the formula Razz Should I be worried? Sad
|

replied March 13th, 2008
child's orange nose
We noticed our 8 month old has an orange nose in pictures too! Glad to know what is causing it. Thanks!
|

replied October 7th, 2009
I know this was originally posted quite a while ago but i was glad to find other parents with the same question/concern. My son is 7 1/2 months and his nose is orange too!!! I try and try to make sure he eats his greens, he hates green beans (me too lol), but he sure loves carrots, sweet potatoes and squash.

Thanks and God Bless!
|

replied November 1st, 2009
Thank you all so very much! I was beginning to seriously worry about her. She is eight months old also. Now I know why she always has an orange nose. She loves carrots, squash and sweet potatoes as well. I will not stop feeding them to her because they are very nutritious! Thanks again to all!
|

replied November 19th, 2009
Orange nosed baby
What can I do to stop my child from having an orange nose? Is there anything I can feed her?
|

replied January 2nd, 2010
omg- so glad i found this post, i was seriously starting to worry about my 8month old daughter who's nose has started to become very orange & the bottom half of her face, also tried wiping it off. she is a very fussy eater & is difficult to find anything much that she likes to eat & have often had to settle for a similar jar of baby food which are very orange. i have tried her on other foods but she just refuses. i hope this is the reason for her face too & will try to lay off the foods to see if i can see an improvement. thanks
|

replied January 26th, 2010
Orange nosed daugther
Took a picture of my little girl to send to her godmother today and her nose was really orange. She is almost 1 but has had the same problem with a few months now. I thought it was due to jarred food but it happens when Olivia has homemade food also. When she was younger her chin used to go orange as well. The amount of times I have sat there trying to scrub it off. You used to be able to see the orange tinge all the time now just on photos. We nick named her the umpa lumpa...... funny how all the previous posts have been about 8 month old children. Olivia still has the orange tinge even though her diet it not solely orange coloured food. Hope she grows out of it.... can you imagine school photos with orange nosed child.
|

replied February 17th, 2010
Orange Noses
My daughter is 11 months old and also tends to have the orange nose. The tinge shows up in photos more than looking at her straight on. She rarely eats carrots anymore (has an aversion to them now), but still has a thing for sweet potatos, including the puffs! I remember my neice having the same issue when she was a baby and that was 8 years ago. lol They do eventually grow out of it, I promise.
|

replied July 5th, 2010
Thank you for asking this question!
I am so glad I found this! My son always has an orange nose in picture, and in person, but way worse in pictures. So much so that people are commenting about it. I'm glad I know what it is now and that my baby is not abnormal. He loves orange veggies, especially sweet potatos. I guess I should back off of them a little now that I know why he looks like rudolph.
|

replied August 2nd, 2010
orange nose
my son has the same problem hes 8 months old i wnet to my health visitor i had notice the orange tint on his nose she said that i was feeding him too much carrots and tomatoes in his food i buy cow and gate jars and its hard to find out with out carrots and tomatoes in what should i do iv reduced his dinner jar giving him a bottle of milk in place im a first time mum so its all new to me
|

replied January 20th, 2011
Orange Nosed Baby
I too noticed my sons nose turning orange when he was about 8 months! The strange thing is that he's been eating orange veg since 4 months and it's only just changed colour now! On photos it's so obvious! The health visitor told me to lay off the orange veggies but 4 wks on its still as orange!! It doesn't help matters when 95% of baby food jars are all orange!!!
|

replied April 29th, 2011
Orange nose baby
I'm glad someone else has experienced this. My 8 month old also has had an orange nose in pictures for about 2-3 weeks now and it was starting to worry me. At first I just passed it off as being the cold that he had at first, but when it didn't go away I figured maybe I should look it up and see if someone else has had the same problem. It's never happened with my other two so I was a little worried. Thanks ladies for all your help. I will have to incorporate more green foods into his diet. Smile
|

replied April 30th, 2011
Orange nose
I totally stopped everything orange on the advice of the health visitor because she had never seen it before but it didn't make any difference. I would feed him as normal as it will fade in time. My boy has just turned 1 and its only slightly visible now.
|

replied August 19th, 2011
My son too!!!
How crazy! My 8 month old has a orange-ish colored nose in photos too! I was concerned so I googled it and this page popped up!! How crazy! Now I see it's common and that is ok! He loves sweet potatoes, carrots, etc.!~
|

replied October 13th, 2012
yellow nose
i am so relieved that my 9 months old granddaughter is a normal healthy baby with a yellow nose. i noticed that baby z nose is yellowish on pictures and told my daughter about it. i am so happy to read other posting that it is due to eating yellowish food. baby z eats a lot of sweet potatoes carrots mangoes peach and banana. thank you to all! i am now a happy grandma.
|