Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Trouble Digesting Protein

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
Hello, i'm wondering if there is a condition that causes a person to have trouble digesting proteins. Each time I eat meat, such as in a sandwich or as a main meal, shortly afterward I get severely sleepy. I get so sleepy my eyes start crossing!!!!! That's when "sand-man" is really serious about putting you to sleep! I can eat just vegetables or fruit and it doesn't do that to me. Any ideas? Or maybe it's just a case of laziness! Ha!! Rolling Eyes thanks for any help or suggestions on this.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 24th, 2003
Extremely eHealthy
Three suggestions:

1) see the dr & get checked to see if your blood/urine etc tests (liver & kidney functions) are ok.

2)go to a search engine (like yahoo or google) & see what foods other than meats are high in protein, then eat these instead of meat for a while & see if the same thing happens or not??

3) see an alternative therapist (naturopath?) & see what they say.
|

replied December 24th, 2003
Experienced User
Enzymes
Cooked meat loses its enzyme content. In fact cooking anything kills the enzymes in foods. In order to digest such cooked food, your body has to produce its own enzymes for digestion. Your body produces diminishing amounts of enzymes with age. Eating more raw foods (such as the fruits and vegetables you mention) will require your body to produce less enzymes as they are already present in the raw food.

You can either buy an enzyme supplement containing protease (availabe at health food stores) or eat more raw foods and less cooked food.

Now if only I could practice what I preach!
|

replied June 25th, 2009
touble digesting Proteins
rub a piece of KIwi on a piec e of meat, then put it in a plastic bag for 20 min to half hour. You will be surprised at how the Kiwi has broken down the meat after such a short period of time. Maybe a bit of Kiwi after a meat meal will aid digestion. It is amazing how quickly the meat gets broken down.
|
Quick Reply