Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Can Wisdom Teeth Make You Sick?

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
I have been at my wits end trying to figure out what in the world has happened to my health. Been researching everything from the thyroid to male yeast infections. And now it's landed me here in this dental forum. I've been trying to retrace my steps when it comes to symptoms and I remembered a bad mouth infection I had in november 2004. I was in seattle, wa opening up a new restaurant for my company when I suddenly got really sick. I had the worst fevers, my mouth ached and could barely eat from it. My tongue was messed up and there was an infection on the gumline where my bottom left wisdom tooth was. Not knowing what I was dealing with at first I actually tried to work thru it, but by the 9th day of my trip I forced myself to go to the hospital. They helped a little, but in the end it was a call to my dentist which got me feeling better......... He prescribed me some antibiotics like penicillian v 500 mg. It took a couple of weeks but eventually the infection cleared up and everything was all good.

Around april I started noticing my I felt bloated all the time and was burping alot. Flash forward to the past two months. I've been suffering from the most random symptoms ever. Everything from massive migraines, body aches, nausea, sinus complications, stomach and digestive problems, blurred vision, teeth feel funny sometimes, dry mouth, hair thinning, skin texture changing etc etc........ I also noticed at times my ears ache........ Is it possible that all this crap could be from complications from my wisdom teeth?

The reason I ask is because my dentist told me over a year and a half ago that I was going to have to get my wisdom teeth removed. Being the putter-offer that I tend to be, i've let it go this long without having gotten them out. I've read that having wisdom teeth can cause not only dental complications, but can spread to other health complications as well. Can they do what I described above? I've been so bad about getting in to my dentist within the last year and a half since that phone call I made to him when I was in seattle.

Thanks in advance for your opinions. I just figured it was worth a shot to pose this question here on this board because so far it's a mystery to my doc why i'm feeling this poorly. That's when it hit me today, the whole wisdom teeth thing, after somebody had been talking about how dangerous it is to keep them in when you're an adult. I'm a 26 year old male by the way.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper joey_m555
|

replied December 12th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Infections, even if they are in your mouth, can cause systemic reactions.(systemic is whole body) I would say have those teeth removed asap!!!
|

replied September 24th, 2013
I totally agree I think many people are unaware that dental issues can cause random symptoms, it can be scary because your going out of your mind to figure out the cause wisdom teeth can cause brain fog, dizziness, stomach issues, rash , headaches, sinus issues, pressure on your head eye, and ears, fatigue and word recall memory recall is off, Dental issues infections are serious the infection is basically low level sepsis something that goes undetect by most doctors. Get your wisdom teeth extracted now I had one wisdom tooth extracted took 15 minutes there is this very cool machine that vibrates the gum away from the tooth I thought it was painless I was awake and numbed. I face swelled a little next day I was fine.
|

replied December 16th, 2005
There is no doubts that wisdom teeth in the process of growing may make you feel sick in such a way. These simpthoms may appear in a period of year or half a year and to know the real reason you must consult your dantist anyway. But it is necessary to extract your teeth if it makes you suffer by all means!
|

replied January 30th, 2006
I Had An Infected Tooth
The last couple months I have been feeling faigued, sore throat, headaches and feeling just terrible... I went to the dentist and he pulled my infected tooth out and told me that was the reason I have been feeling sick, and if I didn't get that taken care of I would become very ill, I will never ingnore my teeth again!!!!!!!!!
|

replied July 7th, 2007
to Anyone Comtemplating Getting Theier Wisdom Teeth Pulled!!
For the Love of God do not get them pulled if they dont hurt I just had mine pulled 7/5/07 because my bottom teeth were hurting me but ididnt need my top ones done, only now realizing that after Ive gone through all this pain, and I still cant eat 2 days later, and Im still bleeding!! The Dr. didnt even tell me I could save my top ones if they didnt hurt, so just like most Dentist I think he wanted to cash in more from my insurance Co. When you go home and the novacaine wares off you will be in the most pain you've ever been in, it is hell!! I dont know when I will be able to eat!!
|

replied October 30th, 2007
Re: to Anyone Comtemplating Getting Theier Wisdom Teeth Pull
hbeard wrote:
For the Love of God do not get them pulled if they dont hurt I just had mine pulled 7/5/07 because my bottom teeth were hurting me but ididnt need my top ones done, only now realizing that after Ive gone through all this pain, and I still cant eat 2 days later, and Im still bleeding!! The Dr. didnt even tell me I could save my top ones if they didnt hurt, so just like most Dentist I think he wanted to cash in more from my insurance Co. When you go home and the novacaine wares off you will be in the most pain you've ever been in, it is hell!! I dont know when I will be able to eat!!

Yes, it can be painful to have your wisdom teeth removed - however, it is sometimes neccesary.

Did you have a little bit of gumming over the top of your bottom tooth? That can trap bacteria, causing it to swell. The reason your bottom gums hurt was because your top wisdom teeth were irritating it when you close your mouth.

But then again, you obviously havn't been in a whole lot of pain in your life if you think wisdom teeth are the worst. Smile Don't worry, it's not as bad as he makes it out to be. The alternative is worse.
|

replied October 30th, 2007
Re: to Anyone Comtemplating Getting Theier Wisdom Teeth Pull
Gramiscus wrote:
hbeard wrote:

Yes, it can be painful to have your wisdom teeth removed - however, it is sometimes neccesary.

Did you have a little bit of gumming over the top of your bottom tooth? That can trap bacteria, causing it to swell. The reason your bottom gums hurt was because your top wisdom teeth were irritating it when you close your mouth.

But then again, you obviously havn't been in a whole lot of pain in your life if you think wisdom teeth are the worst. Smile Don't worry, it's not as bad as he makes it out to be. The alternative is worse.

How much pain do you want me to have gone through?? it was so painful, It hurt really and pretty much remanied pissed off at everything those first 2-3 weeks because of the wisdom teeth.
Yes I know it may be necessary if your gums and teeth are hurting, I was going through such bad pain before I got them pulled that I dont think anyone would believe it, but Im glad the pains gone now, well with my teeth at least, not soo great mentally.
But I hope no one pulls their wisdom teeth out just for no reasons and if they dont hurt because that would be the dumbest thing you could ever do, in my expert opinion, I have 2 big holes on the bottom where my teeth were which really sucks, does anyone know if this closes eventually? That dentist was takin the saw and slicing up a lot of my gums because he clouldnt get it out, so I got big holes, my top ones pretty much closed up right way but I wish they were more closed.
Peace
|

replied September 26th, 2009
dental quackery
i just got my wisdom teeth pulled out, my 2 left ones. My lower left wisdom tooth was laying on its side, so it had to come out, but the Doctor told me i had to take the one above it out too, or the other one would protrude down. Nothing seemed wrong with it to me on the X-ray, perhaps I was victim on Dental Quackery. I wonder if wisdom teeth can make you get bad moods, temper, if they're jabbing into your mouth sideways.
|

replied October 7th, 2009
Hi All,

It happens when wisdom teeth growing, it make sick, some can bare this and some can't, but it happens, not to worry.

Thanks!

|

replied May 20th, 2010
I feel healthier now having them gone!
I just had my two top wisdom teeth extracted yesterday and I am in my thirties. I was in a lot of pain before hand so I am glad they are out now but yeah ... I'm in a lot of pain now too.... I can't eat solid food and my face hurts but I know this will be worth it here in a little while once this heals. I just feel healthier knowing I don't have those decaying rotten teeth in my head anymore. Get them out if they are dying. You don't want rotten things in your body. It's just not healthy.
|

replied July 2nd, 2010
Keeping the teeth
My wisdom teeth hurt as well... But the pain comes and goes. If it gets extreme, i get a hotwater bag and put it on the side of my face that hurts. I also heat water and add salt, then gurgle with it. This soothes the pain and makes it bearable. Although the pain does come back if i turn the AC on, or have a drink of cold water. So if you dont want surgery, you can always do what i do! Although surgery sounds lovely and less hastle...
Anways hope this helps!
|

replied March 22nd, 2012
NO HEAT
If you have a infection in your mouth Heat is a huge no no it can make it go in to your blood stream.. and make you really sick a good thing to do is to use a tea bag or sip on tea cause that helps with the pain and if it is really bothering you can smash up a asprin and pack your tooth with it and it will help numb the nerve from pain... So dont use heat on it... And yes I know this heat helps but I did this and I ended up with a blood infection from it...
|

replied July 2nd, 2010
Keeping the teeth
My wisdom teeth hurt as well... But the pain comes and goes. If it gets extreme, i get a hotwater bag and put it on the side of my face that hurts. I also heat water and add salt, then gurgle with it. This soothes the pain and makes it bearable. Although the pain does come back if i turn the AC on, or have a drink of cold water. So if you dont want surgery, you can always do what i do! Although surgery sounds lovely and less hastle...
Anways hope this helps!
|

replied July 17th, 2010
I just had my 2 right wisdom teeth pulled.. best thing i could of done! i feel no pain at all, its sore yes but the pain i had before hand WOW! i plan to have the left side done once this heals, im not feeling pain i just dont want to suffer later down the road..

Almost forgot my lower wisdom teeth where so close to the back i got an infection. So better take care of this before they become unbearable! i was in pain for almost 2 weeks, i went to my dentist when he had another doctor covering for him he just grinded my teeth and said go home, i made another visit to see my doctor he took car of things right there.. so yes some dentist are there for money some help..

BTW Cold Ice water helped me for these 2weeks, everyone said how but it just did.
|

replied August 20th, 2010
teeth
all my teeth at the top have broken off, I want to know can this cause me to be sick on the stomach
|