Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Head Shakes

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
Hello

lately I have been having shakes in my head. Every once in awhile it twiches on its own and I can't control it. I have never had any past experience like this before. The twitches/shakes have been happening for about a week now. If somebody could please let me know what it is and let me know if I can prevent/treat it.

Thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Wooley
|

replied December 2nd, 2010
I've been having the same issues and it has gotten so much worse lately it is becoming unbearable. My head shakes up and down, nodding the head as if to motion to yes. Its almost as if i get this weird urge to shake my head and the weird thing is i am aware of it and that i am doing it but i can't stop it. Its causing serious issues for me. I actually went to see my doctor and told him about this he just put me on some medication, i think it was muscle relaxers or something but it only relaxed my muscles when i took it it unfortunately didnt make it go away. Ive been reading a lot about this stuff and a lot of people were diagnosed with disorders and such and have actually even gone to see neurologists. I think that I may go see the doctor again b/c i don't know what else to do about it either.
|

replied December 12th, 2010
To all sufferers, here's a revelation!
Get ECG done first to eliminate heart problem.
If its normal, then most probably the problem lies with the neck muscle.
I've been having this problem for a long time and I've been on many types of medication, but to no avail.
I was very worried about my heart condition.
It was during one of my many visits to the doctor about this problem that I had ECG done during the attack (the most accurate period of test).
And to my relief,it came out normal and the doctor suggested that it could be from the neck muscle.
It was then I realized that whenever I'm stressed or excited, I tend to stiffen my neck thus causing the shakes. Once you realized the cause and trigger, the next step is be conscious of your neck muscle and NOT to be overly concern. Over time, you will outgrow it!
|

replied April 2nd, 2012
info
its same to me when i get rest in the evening i fell my head are shaking suddenly i have difficulty in breathing ive gone several ecg but its normal i think its because of neck mucle pain..thanks a lot for the info..
|

replied September 6th, 2012
I have the same issue, but thought it had to do with my seizure disorder. But its not. I first noticed it when I went to see my neurologist. It seems like I get nervous around her (doctors in general) and my head shakes. I never knew why, but what your saying makes a lot of sense. It happens at home though, when I am just sitting and watching TV. That made me a bit nervous. I am hoping that it will just stop.
|

replied August 3rd, 2011
my boyfriend's head shakes when he drinks beer. Others have also noticed it and told me he has Parkinsons disease. talk to me, could it be parkinsons or is it alcoholism?
|

replied August 4th, 2011
Not likely PD or alcoholism. Trembling limbs were more significant with these diseases. Head shakes are commonly caused by tensed muscle/nerves twitches. Sometimes, with an angle of head tilt will caused such shakes. Other known cause are nervousness, excitement or any other psychological triggers that stiffen the neck muscle. Try to imagine bending your arm with heavy weights. Over time, your arm will shake. Similarly, our neck muscle supports a one heavy head. Try to stiffen your neck muscle, the head shakes.
|

replied February 16th, 2012
i have problem, which is
my head shakes some time continiously but when i lay down on bed or sitting with support of any things like wall, pillow. the shaking is like strikes to my head.
|

replied April 11th, 2012
It's called "Essential Tremors". It's not PD. I have it too. My head shakes as if in a "No-No" motion. Sometimes my hands shake too. I have seen a neurologist and he is not terribly concerned. He said this is what Katharine Hepburn had. She did not have Parkinson's Disease either....it is not life threatening or anything...just annoying!!
|

replied July 9th, 2012
Hy LaLaWald,
I think I've a same problem (shake in no-no motion), and I like to solve it, cos I don't like, people look at me, and think something wrong with me...
Do you now anything about the solution?
Tha
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied January 22nd, 2013
Uncontrollable head shaking
The head shaking could well be DYSTONIA, which affects your muscles, often neck muscles. I have it, and it first began with an uncontrollable pulling of my head round to one side. When I FINALLY got my M.D. to take me seriously & refer me to a Neurologist, having heard a description of Dystonia symptoms, Dystonia was confirmed & I've now had quarterly Botox shots for a few years, which stopped the head pulling but now have head shakes when the botox wears off after a couple of months. I'm just hoping the shaking will gradually go, but find the worst part is that once you're aware of the shaking it seems to get worse. It's like a round robin. I ab-so-lutely HATE this and it's changed my life entirely because I'm so conscious of this condition.
|

replied August 31st, 2013
Re: Uncontrollable head shaking
I have the same problem and the doctor told me it was cervical dystonia. I've tried botox but for me it didn't work and made me ill and I fainted because I had too many needles put in my neck lol. So I self medicated with alcohol and that works perfect but who wants to keep doing that so I try to deal with best I can. But if I go to a social function I will have a drink for the night to avoid being embarrassed. I hate this and it's running my life.
|
Quick Reply