Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Ruptured Brain Aneurysm

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
I suffered a brain aneurysm about 2 years ago, and while i'm still alive, i'm having some effects such as not being able to concentrate, a severe headache all the time, getting lost in areas that are well known to me, and other symptoms that remind me of add. I wonder if there are any other survivors of this, and if they have any of these same symptoms.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper timmadlem
|

replied December 17th, 2005
Hey,
i hope you are doing good now. My mom had a surgery last week .Actually she had a snmall aneursym in her middle cerebral artery
an artery of brain that aneurysm had a chance of bursting and causing a massive haemorrage in brain.But timely intervention and neurosurgeons have successfully ligated that aneurysym and she is recovering from the operation.
I know nothing @ it and was just wondering does that happen repeatedly ??? How are you taking care of yourself??? Me and my mom live in different countries so I was worried.
|

replied December 19th, 2005
Ruptured Brain Aneurysm
Hi, i'm glad you responded. Mine was in my temporal lobe, so i'm experiencing what's known as "temporal lobe seizures", which are a, from what I gather, a form of epilipsy dealing with memory loss, depression, and pain. I pray your mom has a different kind and recovers quickly.
My best,
tim
|

User Profile
replied September 20th, 2008
hey
i lost my mum to a brain aneurysm november 2007 just before my 18th bday i was just wondering if someone could explain what could of caused it an how it happened so fast? thankyou x
|

User Profile
and also is it possible that i could have it?
|

User Profile
Supporter
Hi Sweetie! Me Fairy*Godmother
ON Feb 4 1999, I crashed my car, blood had leaked from an artery in my frontal lobe, causing me to pass out. Once at the hospital a CT was ran and determined I had a cerebral anureysm. Mine also was frontal lobe. I lost my Grandmother in 1993, her artery burst before we could get her to the hospital. Where mine was only leaking, a craniotomy was performed and a state of the art(I like saying that) titanium clip was put in. I do not remember crashing, I do remember loosing concioueness. The next I remember was trying t olearn to walk again. I also took the dog shears and tried to "fix" the otehr side of my head, as hte left side was shaved for surgery............took a long time and lots of patience form a lot of family and friends......but now, I do have short term memory loss, I have 30% hearing loss in both ears, sense of smell is about shot, headaches are finally under control as of this year. Neuro. has me on 75mg of nortriptyline a day. It been 9 years now and I think I've done pretty good. Any other questons please feeel free to ask!
|

replied September 25th, 2008
Experienced User
For the most part, an aneurysm is a balloon like bulge in a blood vessel/artery. If the bulge keeps on growing, it can eventually burst, causing hemorage, meaning the blood leaks outside of the artery/blood vessel. It's like pinching a hosepipe, where if the hosepipe is soft enough, it forms a bulge which would eventually burst. Anuerysms is also not confined to the head but can form any where in the body where an artery is un-able to support the pressure of the blood flowing through it.

There is many factors that could cause an anuerysm...

Trauma:

Like in Fairy Godmother's case, trauma such as an accident, falling down a flight of stairs or any event that would cause the flow of blood in the artery to be disrupted.

Genetic Predisposition:

I have a genetic disorder, which for many reasons, such as heart-valve prolapse and weak arteries, make me highly susceptable to Anuerysms.

Cholesterol:

Cholesterol is the build up of fat in the arteries which causes an increase of pressure due to blockage... Like for instance if a rock or mud got lodged in a hosepipe.

Old Age:

The weakening of the arteries as a consequence of the aging process.

The biggest factors in determining the risk, is blood-pressure, relative age, cholesterol and the general health of your arteries.

If you are concerned, you can have your blood pressure and cholesterol checked by your local doctor. I am sure he/she will understand and try to determine wether there is any genetic predisposition in your family.

Were you told what the cause was of your Mom's anuerysm?

All of the best! Let me know if you need any further information Smile
|
Users who thank Seraph for this post: Fairy Godmother 

User Profile
replied September 25th, 2008
Supporter
Seraph, I crashed my car because the artery had leaked blood into me head casuing me to pass out. I did not have an anureysm because of an accident. My neurosurgeon says there is no way to tell if someone will develop a "bad spot" in an artery, not only are they in the brain, but stomach as well as other places. The cause of my anureysm is undeterminded. My Grandmother was only in her early 70's, so age was not a factor in determing what caused her to have one. I truly do believe it is hereditary and these ARE in deed passed on from generation to generation, but some medical science reports beg to differ with me. Thank you so much for explaining it so well in detail! Please take care of yourself!
|

replied September 26th, 2008
Experienced User
Thanks Fairy Godmother. I am just glad to be of some help.

I would beg to differ with those science reports Very Happy, it is definately inheritable. The scary part of my condition, is that I have a much higher chance of developing a "bad spot" in an artery. They can monitor the major concern, which is aortic-dissection, but they can't monitor what is happening in the rest of your body. I am not even allowed to pick up anything heavier than 10kg's as there would be a risk of an anuerism forming or bursting.
|

User Profile
replied September 26th, 2008
Supporter
I will add you to my prayer list! Just please, take care of yourself!
|

replied September 30th, 2008
Experienced User
Thank you.

You are just as much in my thoughts and prayers. Very Happy
|

replied May 17th, 2010
I had a ruptured brain aneurysm the end of March while at work and did not know what I had.....I ended up having a coiling procedure 5 days later and have done very well recuperating. My blood pressue is under control, I am no longer smoking, but am feeling a lot of anxiety and fear that it will happen again. I've been told that I should have died and can't understand why I am so luck to be alive and doing well. My vascular physician checked with an ultra sound and I only have a 40% stenosis on my right side and 0 on my left. I will get follow-ups from all the physicians on my team.

How do I get past the nervousness that I feel and move forward with my life?
|

replied May 29th, 2010
does a brain anuerism cause pain on one side of head and moves around
|

replied May 29th, 2010
does a brain anuerism cause pain on one side of head and moves around
|

replied October 30th, 2010
LEFT TEMPORAL LOBE ANEURYSM
I have a left temporal lobe aneurysm. 17 people on one side of my family have died of them and 3 survivors. One of the survivors is my Mother. She has short and long term memory loss. They discovered thru me that my family is suffering from a genetic disorder called Factor XII with hyperplatelet function. They also see destruction of white matter on my brain due to lack of circulation. My Father passed at 45. His Mother and her Mother died younger. They discovered I have methelynetetrahydrofolate reductase deficiency (MTHFR) as well as the other. I have to take foltx which is a b6, b12 and folic acid prescription supplement for the MTHFR and I have to take coumadin and lovenox for the Factor XII. Problem is coumadin and lovenox can and eventually will cause the aneurysm to rupture. Neurology tried to take me off of the coumadin and lovenox and in less than 48 hours, I had a stroke. I am a little scared and at my wits end. Thank God one of my best friends is one of the top hospice nurses in the country. She put the first hospice in a prison in US history (Angola). She is starting to take care of my needs thru home health. Thank God. I go to see the neuro surgeon on the 9th of November to find out if I am a candidate for brain surgery. They already tried the coil thru angiogram and couldn't do it. I'm quite nervous. I have found my peace with God and come Monday I am starting to get my ducks in a row. Praying for the best and preparing for the worse. I am told that I can paralyze on the right side of my body, have trouble with speech and lose memory. Hopefully this can be done and I can rehab. I'm tired. I hurt all over. I'm having constant headaches, memory loss. The other day I took a $20 bill and threw it in the garbage and my son noticed what I did. I can be in the middle of a conversation and just space out. Yesterday my blood pressure was 175/125. Not good. My pain does radiate and move around. On top of the dull headache, I get sharp shooting pains. I went numb in my right arm the other day. My family especially my boyfriend is stressing me. I've been awake for over 20 hours now.
|

replied June 15th, 2011
short-term memory loss following an aneurysm.
My sister suffered an aneurysm just over a week ago, she had been complaining of headaches for over a fortnight and collapsed whilst at work. She was operated on that night to fit a valve to release fluid and blood from her cranial cavity and had the coiling operation the following morning. She has made a miraculous recovery so far and is sat up in bed at the Walton center in Liverpool. U.K. holding articulate conversations with us all but her short term memory is all over the place. We could mention a particular person who wants to come visit and she will tell us that they have already been to visit and they went out for a meal, ten minutes later it will be a completely different story. Her long term memory is fully intact and she an remember faces, places and times to perfection but ask her what had happened in the last half hour and it could be absolutely anything. Can anyone tell me if this will be a permanent fixture, will it pass, how long it may take??? I realise all cases are different and there'll be many accounts and personal experiences to go through but it would do my family and myself a whole heap of good to share your experiences and, maybe, have something to aim at. Whatever the synopsis, we'll always be there for her.
|

replied June 27th, 2012
aneurysm query
Hi there,
I hope your sister has made a full recovery and is doing well. My dad has suffered the same thing in recent days and like that he is really good considering what he has been through but like your sister his short term memory is all over the place. I know its different for everybody but i just wanted to check did it take long for your sisters memory to recover?
MAny Thanks,
Fiona
|

replied September 21st, 2011
my mum had an aneurysm 2 years ago in the left temporal lobe. a fall off a horse triggered the burst. she was in coma for 3 weeks. then hospital for four months, she was lucky to survive. she now suffers from short term memory loss, anxiety, and loss of balance on the left side of her body. the doctors said hers was cause by smoking. my dad and one of my sisters and i suffer from depression and post tramatic stress as i was only 12 when it happened. i now urge people to live everyday like its there last as you dont know whats around the corner.
|

replied July 18th, 2012
Still in hospital 3 wks and no operation!
Hi
My friends mother was rushed to hospital Almost 3 weeks ago. She has an inch swelling on the front. Her memeory is all over the place too, she wears a patch over one eye as she experiencing double vision.
The family are in bits, especially as she has not been operated on either clipping or coiling method. The doctors are saying they are waiting for the swelling to go down but it has. Even 3 weeks!
Do they need a second opinion as they are worried in case the swelling ruptures, it is. It getting any bigger but it has not got any smaller either.
Please help, my friend is in pieces Sad
|

replied August 4th, 2012
aneurysm and lashing out
My husband had an aneurysm in 2007. They did the coiling procedure on him, and he is back to work and a pretty much normal life. However, the place where the coiling was done needs to be clipped because the neck of the aneurysm is
getting wider (for four years now, he has MRI every year in order to check if that neck is wider. His surgeon suggested the procedure again, but he did not want to go with it.

My husband is going through a lot of mood changes (we never know when he is going to lash out at one of the family members -mostly me). He does not seem to have any control of his emotions or the things that he is saying. We love him so much and we want to help him because we know how difficult everything is for him, but we do not know how.
Has anybody gone through the similar situation?
|

replied August 6th, 2012
Am I the only one??
I suffered a ruptured Brain Aneurysm on June 14, 2008 and although I am very grateful to be alive I still suffer from severe headaches that last for weeks and cause my eyes to swell and I still have issues with my memory and balance. Every so often my headaches are so bad that they cause blinds spots in my vision and cause hearing loss along with mood swings. I just wondering if anyone else has had these issues or has a family member/friend that experienced any of these.
|