Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Throat Probelms (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
For about the past two weeks I have experienced discomfort in my throat. You might describe it as an air bubble, or pill in the throat...But sometimes it feels as though a belt is tightend around my neck. This comes and goes, but never really totally goes away. Does anybody have any ideas as to what this could be?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 14th, 2003
I had something like that happen to me a while back. It happened after I had taken a pill. I thought I was having an allergic reaction when it didn't go away so I went to the e.R. They treated as acid reflux and gave me some sort of concotion to drink it didn't help but they sent me along my way with pepcid. I didn't take the medicene that I felt caused the problem and I also never took the pepcid. The symptoms went away totally about a month later. I still to this day feel that a had a mild allergic reaction to the med.
Have you taken any medicaton lately?
|

replied December 17th, 2003
Throat
From two weeks, tip of my tongue and edge of my lips sense me numb, if I eat or drink any thing I feel hot. My tongue becomes red.
|

replied January 5th, 2004
Experienced User
I think I sorta know what you are talking about?! About a year or so ago, I experienced this weird feeling in my throat. It felt like I had food or a lump of skin in it. I went to urgent care and they did x-rays and looked down my throat and found nothing. It was really strange. It came and went about 3 or 4 times but it felt so gross and I was a nervous wreck. I tried to swallow a million times to get rid of it and nothing. I ate bread and drank so much but nothing. It just went away on its own eventually.
|

replied April 12th, 2004
Sad I know exactly what you are feeling...I have been experiencing this for about 8 months now and have been to the doctor they have put me on so many allergy meds and nasal sprays and asthma medicens but they dont work still experiencing like some one has there hands around my neck, like I have a big ball of phlem in my throat...Have you been to the doc..If so what did they say?
|

replied July 9th, 2004
Oh my... I have this exact feeling. I can't believe I found something on this with google.

Started a few days ago, and it's supremely freaky feeling.

Got an appt for the doc but I haven't gone yet.

To the other guy.. I have been on quite a few meds lately.

Have any of you guys noticed any of these at all?

Quote:

symptoms.

1. Mind.─melancholy, esp. After emissions.─despondent; could not study; imagined he was going to have typhoid fever.─fears bad news.─nervous fears on waking.─easily startled.─irritable.─memory lost.

2. Head.─dizzy, as if he would fall; objects turn round on rising or moving.─dulness in head and at root of nose.─fulness in head; flushes of heat, afterwards sweat.─fulness in forehead, over eyes; in morning; while studying; with cutting in r. Temple.─sharp cutting r. Side of head with, at times, dull aching over eyes.

3. Eyes.─eyes weak; < from gas-light 8 p.M.─slight burning, lachrymation, must rub eyes.─cutting in r. Eye.─eyes feel as if sand in them.─pain over eyes.─pressure on r. Eye during menses.─pressure over r. Eye with sighing.─pain in l. Orbit, with pain in bowels, extending up into chest; flatulence.─r. Supraorbital neuralgia.─lids heavy, itch along margins.─dryness of l. Eyeball with bruised pain.─vision: dim; flickering; halo round gas-light.─(squinting, with worms.).─disturbed vision, one pupil dilated.

4. Ears.─lobe of r. Ear burning and itching so intolerably has to scratch it till it bleeds.─sensation in ears as of water dropping from a height into a long round vessel.─fulness in ears, aching in r. Meatus.─itching and tickling in (r.) eustachian tube from middle ear.─imagines he hears footsteps in next room.

5. Nose.─fulness at root of nose; skin feels drawn tight over it.─nose as if full of mucus, but discharge slight.─l. Nostril sore, painful; picks it constantly; scales form.─pricking in l. (and r.) nostril, brings tears to eyes.─offensive odour before nose.

6. Face.─shooting pain in r. Cheek.─peculiar stitching pain along cheek into ears.─great soreness r. Lower jaw at angle; occasional slight darting through jaw.─intense itching of face esp. Nose.

8. Mouth.─teeth in morning and mouth all day covered with a brownish mucus.─gumboils on molars.─tongue coated dirty white, brown centre.─moist, golden-yellow, or creamy coating back part of roof of mouth (s).─sensation of hairs on tip of tongue, followed by prickling numbness of whole mouth.─stinging on tip of tongue.─bad taste (coppery) on waking.─tries to say a word, but it will not come out; feels as if something closed in throat preventing speech.

9. throat.─mucus in throat.─tough clear white phlegm in posterior nares.─thick yellow mucus drops from posterior nares; < night; wakens him; must sit up to clear throat.─sensation of lump in throat.─r. Side of throat sore; sensation as of a pin pricking it; < swallowing liquids, > swallowing solids; throbbing in region of l. Tonsils.

11. Stomach.─acidity in children fed with excess of milk and sugar (s).─dyspepsia from f at food, or < by fat food (s).─canine hunger with gone feeling in stomach.─desires: strong-tasting things; eggs; fried fish; beer, which >.─aversion to: bread-and-butter.─sour eructations (s).─eructations after eating.─goneness; in stomach and abdomen, even in chest; < after eating.─heaviness and pressure in epigastrium.─vomiting of sour cheesy masses (s).

12. Abdomen.─sharp cutting in hypochondria and l. Iliac region.─flatulence, < after eating; rumbling.─whilst at stool, sensation as if a marble dropped down descending colon.─colic, and pressure, with acidity (s).─colic, as from wind pressing on bladder, causing frequent inclination and urging to stool.─colicky pains while walking.─colic in hypogastrium; soreness.

13. Stool and anus.─burning contracting pain in anus and lower rectum (on waking from troubled dream).─sticking as from splinter in anus on walking.─sore, raw feeling.─itching soreness; must scratch.─must bring will to bear to prevent escape of fæces.─diarrhœa with colic; fears to pass flatus for fear fæces should escape.─after coitus (man) urging to stool and urination: stools small, loose.─yellowish green, so-called "hacked diarrhœa" (s).─stool: yellowish brown.; profuse, thin, yellowish brown.─before stool: weak feeling in rectum and sphincter.─small stool before breakfast, soft yet with effort; sudden urging while eating; afterwards, watery yellowish brown, painless stool.─large, soft stool, easily expelled, with feeling afterwards as if much remained behind.─costive.─one day costive, next diarrhœa.─intestinal, long or round worms, with acidity, picking nose, occasional squinting, pain in bowels, restless sleep (s).

14. Urinary organs.─burning during micturation.─after coitus burning and itching at meatus.─frequent micturition.─obliged to vomit from pressure of wind on bladder, pressure not > thereby.─passed a large quantity of urine on arising in morning.─bladder semi-paralysed: flow soon stops, and requires straining.─urine: increased, pale; scanty, dark.─(diabetes, hepatic form).

15. Male sexual organs.─erections almost nightly, preceded by slight pains in testicles (< l.).─drawing in testes and cords.─emissions: at night with vivid dreams; after coitus; without dreams.─semen, thin, watery, smells like stale urine.─emissions followed by weak back and trembling of knees.─great itching of scrotum; prepuce; anus.

16. Female sexual organs.─menses five days early.─during menses: feet icy cold by day, burn at night in bed; pressure in r. Eye; flow at first paler than usual.─after menses: symptoms <; trembling at heart, headache; paralytic aching in r. Wrist; knees feel as if tendons shortened.─leucorrhœa: creamy or honey-coloured; sour-smelling, acrid, and watery (s).─prolapsus uteri with weak sinking sensation after defecation.

17. Respiratory organs.─hoarseness.─cough from drinking water.─cough from tickling in throat.─constant cough and hawking; pain in chest in mammary region.

18. Chest.─empty feeling in chest,< after a meal.─pain through chest (< q after dinner.─pain from r. Clavicle diagonally to stomach, intense, caused starting, followed by hoarseness.─burning deep in chest, < r. Side.─sudden feeling of fulness.─contracted feeling; muscles as if drawn; aching pains.─weight above ensiform cartilage, with empty feeling.─lower third of sternum, pain as if torn in two.─(phthisis florida in young subjects).

19. Heart.─trembling about heart < going up stairs.─feeling as if a lump or bubble started from heart and were forced through arteries.─heart feels uneasy, esp. About base, when pains in limbs and great toe are better.─pulses felt all over body.─pulse, quick, jerking.

20. Neck and back.─crick in both sides of neck.─scrofulous swelling of lymphatic glands (s).─goître.─weakness in back towards evening.─slight pain in l. Scapula.─sharp pain in r. Sacro-iliac joint.

21. Limbs.─r. Wrist and l. Ankle weak, ache as if paralysed (after menses).─drawing in hands, feet, wrist-joints, and l. Shoulder.

22. Upper limbs.─synovial crepitation.─arm (l.) feels gone, tired.─arms weak, must let them drop.─heaviness of r. Arm.─contraction of extensors in back of arm, often, when writing.─rheumatic pain in r. Shoulder; feels nervous.─shooting pains from neck over r. Shoulder.─deep-seated pain in r. Wrist going into palm.─drawing cramping; paralytic aching (during menses) in r. Wrist.─numbness in r. Hand and arm.─crampy pain in l. Hand, esp. Index finger.─numbness in r. Fingers, occasional darting, < ring fingers.─severe shooting pains in l. Middle and index fingers.

23. Lower limbs.─synovial crepitation.─sudden giving way of legs while walking, as though they would be paralysed.─hamstrings stiff.─sharp, shooting front of l. Thigh.─knees feel as if tendons shortened; (also at menses).─stitching in l. Knee.─when walking: calves feel pulled tight, as if needles piercing calf.─pain in ball of foot; in (r.) big toe.─gout (s).─rheumatism (s).─much itching at ankle-joints; even eczematous eruption.

24. Generalities.─lassitude: in morning; in hot weather.─nervous.─sore.─ wakes at midnight; soon a sensation like electric shock through body; trembling and palpitation as from fright.─deposits in joints (s).

25. Skin.─itching; < after going to bed; hives (apis >).─itching papules on r. Ear; about joints.─itching of scrotum, prepuce, and anus.─chafing of skin.─eczema, with acidity, honey-coloured secretion.─crusta lactea.─golden-yellow scabs.

26. Sleep.─drowsy all day, most forenoon; falls asleep sitting.─unusual excitement, could not sleep till 1, awoke again at 5, unrested.─sleepless 12 to 3 a.M.─dreams: sexual; vexing; of the dead.

27. Fever.─chilly: during menses; most on chest; followed by hot flushes round body.─feet icy cold by day, burn at night (during menses).─cannot get to sleep feels so hot; thoughts crowd on his mind.─flashes of heat and sweat.─face burns.─exceedingly sour-smelling sweats (s).─intermittent fever with vomiting of sour masses
[/color]

source page: <----link
|

replied June 23rd, 2005
Throat
Hi, I also no wot ur going throu, I was diagnosed with acid reflux, it hasnt gona away for a while now, it is really hard to get on with, plz reply
|

replied July 1st, 2005
I've got the same feeling in my throat as well. It's happened in the past but gone away shortly afterwards. Its come back to raise hell about a week ago and it's really bugging the crap out of me. I don't feel it though if my mind is occupied with something. I think/hope its psychological
|

replied January 10th, 2007
I Just Left the Doctors Office Crying!!
Yes I did just leave the doctors office in tears because she told me my symptoms were all in my head. I have developed hard bumps on my wrists and chest and ankle, crazy crazy anxiety, I thought I was loosing my mind because I heard people whispering, lump in throat that feels like something is stuck...

I was put on acid reflux as well, for the past 2 months and it helps somewhat but I have to take like 2 every 6 hours and the normal dosage is one per 24 hours.

Will some one pleeeeaseeee tell me what is going on and what condition or disease those symptoms listed are for??

I could not believe how right on the money they were!!!

Pleeeeaseeeeeeee..Because I feel like im going crazy
|

replied February 22nd, 2007
Do any of you folks remember the exact moment that you began to feel the so-called lump? I think I know what you guys are talking about, I may have had this same thing a couple years ago. I felt it right after I had smoked outside one night, it hit me immediately, it felt like a big bug had flown in my throat but wouldn't let me swallow it OR spit it out.
|

replied February 22nd, 2007
Also on another note, and this is gonna sound really bizarre, but had any of you been attempting to achieve lucid dream states around the time that you were inflicted? Or even anything mental/spiritual that would be similar to lucid dreaming?
|

replied January 7th, 2008
Same With Me :(
Sad I'm in 6th grade and in the beginning of winter break I started getting it.
Today I just went back to school and I came home sick because of it. My dad said it's probobaly a gas bubble in the back of my throat. This is what it fells like- Like I'm going to throw up, but it won't happen. IT'S REALLY STARTING TO ANNOY ME NOW!!!! Does anyone know how to get rid of it, other than burp, or ginger ale, or etc.?
|

replied February 20th, 2008
Sore Throat!
Today is Wednesday, February 20, 2008, and I have had a sore throat now since last Friday (February 15, 2008). It doesn't feel like a sore throat due to a cold. Not the itchy/scratchiness that is often associated with colds. It feels worse. Different... weird. As if something is lodged in the top of my throat. It sometimes stings as well, and it seems to be constricting, not allowing me to really swallow.

I do believe my right lymph node is swollen.

I have sucked on what feels like thousands of throat lozenges. I have gargled with a saline mouthwash (salt and warm water). I have gargled with another mixture of salt, apple cider vinegar, water and a crushed Aspirin. I have tried massaging my neck, but that doesn't seem to work.

The pain lessens from time to time, but it seems to get worse at night and during the early evening hours. I haven't the slightest idea what this is, but it is really scaring me. I have searched Google for what seems like eons, and still, I have found nothing. Just pages upon pages of homeopathic treatments of things I've never heard of and wouldn't know where to look even if I had. I don't have medical insurance, so I'm trying to wait this thing out so that I won't have to shell out a lot of money for what may be a minor problem.

Did anyone here ever go to the doctor and find out what this thing is? As to the person who asked what we were doing when this happened, I was eating a cheeseburger from Waffle House when I noticed it. I tried to ignore it, hoping that maybe it was just a piece of burger that had gotten caught in my windpipe and would work itself out later. But no... It's been 5 days, and the sensation is still there. I can easily drink liquids with little to no problem (except for orange juice... that makes my throat feel as if it's burning), but it is with solid foods that I have a problem. I tried to eat pizza earlier tonight, and I could've sworn I was dead... that is, until I ran upstairs to bother my mother with my problem. It honestly felt like someone was jabbing food into the back of my throat.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
|

replied March 17th, 2008
WEIRD FEELING IN THROAT
I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS ARE ALLERGIC TO, BUT OVER A YEAR AGO MY LYMPHNODES KEPT ON SWELLING AND WOULD NOT GO DOWN, I WENT TO THE DR GOT ANTIBIOTICS AND THEY WENT DOWN ONLY TO COME BACK UP ABOUT TWO WEEKS LATER, I REALIZED I HAD STARTED DRINKING SOY MILK A WEEK OR TWO BEFORE THE FIRST TIME THEY GOT SWOLLEN, THEN I HAD LAID OFF UNTIL I WAS OFF THE MED'S AND ONCE I STARTED DRINKING IT AGAIN THEY GOT BIG AGAIN, SO I STARTED WATCHING WHAT I WAS EATING TO MAKE SURE IT CONTAINED NO SOY. I HADN'T HAD A PROBLEM SINCE. LAST WEEK MY THROAT GOT THIS MASS FEELING ON THE LEFT SIDE THAT FELT LIKE A HUNK OF PHLEM, AND IT HASN'T GONE AWAY, IT DAWNED ON ME TONIGHT TO CHECK OUT THE INGREDIENTS IN THE NEW BRAND OF BREAD I HAVE BEEN BUYING FOR THE PAST TWO WEEKS, GUESS WHAT IT HAS SOY OIL AND SOY PROTEIN IN THE INGREDIENTS, SO I AM GOING TO LAYOFF FOR A FEW WEEKS AND SEE IF IT GOES AWAY, I'M NOT SAYING IT IS SOY, BUT FOR ME I BELIEVE THAT IS MY PROBLEM.
|

replied October 2nd, 2011
Lump in throat and soy products
After becomming a vegetarian 3 months ago I started eating more soy products. Not really linking the two I developed a lump in my throat sensation, sometimes like I am swallowing a pill. I had endoscopy and barium swallow which showed nothing. Scheduled an appt with an endocrinologist and am waiting on the blood work and am scheduled for a sono. But oddly after eating soy dip a few days ago, my lump was huge feeling and put me in a panic. (Add lump sensation with chest pains and heart palps not pleasant) It was then we wondered if I am allergic to soy. We stopped the soy cold turkey, while the lump is still there it is smaller and less painful. Now I am reading that soy can damage your thyroid. I will update my progress. Thanks for listening. Hope this might help shed light for someone else.
|

replied March 24th, 2008
sleep sitting up
i have had this same thing happening to me on & off for the last year. i was diagnosed with ulcers in my throat & acid reflux. the weird thing is my 10 year old daughter just recently started having the same symptoms . she kept saying something wont let me swallow like something is stuck in my throat . she was diagnosed with reflux as a baby. The only thing we have found that helps with these is not to lay down. stay sitting up even at night . so we will sleep in a recliner. i guess it makes sense when u lay down the acid rises making it worse. just wish how we could make them stop all together
|

replied April 10th, 2008
Viral Infection
Blessings.

I eventually went to the emergency room shortly after posting my last response only to find out that I did have a swollen right lymph node and that it was a viral infection. I'm still not sure how or where I picked it up (perhaps Waffle House?), but it took 10-14 days for it to go away. As we all know, there's nothing we can do about viruses (no antibiotics to take, no medicines, etc.) other than allow them to run their courses. So, that's basically what I had to do. Knock on wood, I haven't had that problem since. I hope I don't have it anymore.

Peace within and God bless you, loves.
|

replied April 11th, 2008
I had the same thing (like a pill was stuck in my throat or never quite digested). I also was feeling like I couldn't swallow and like there was somehing in my throat. After going to many doctors and being on many different prescriptions, I was told it is acif reflux. I was put on Protonix (which caused weight gain- I'm off it and the extra weight is gone). I limit my caffine intake and no longer eat tomatoes, salsa or spag. sauce. I know have been getting chest pains (again, from acid reflux- I have been drinking bubbly soda- without caffine) so I always carry Rolaids. Also, be sure to sleep on your left side if possible (it helps food digest properly) and wait at least 3 hours before laying down after you eat ANYTHING!!!
Hope this helps!
|

replied April 13th, 2008
bleeding throat
bless you in JESUS name!!!

I have a bleeding throat. every morning when I woke up and when I spit I found blood in my saliva. at first it was small amount of blood but lately, every time a spit after my sleep I found more blood in my saliva, a fresh blood. I do not have fever. My nymph nodes are not swollen but I felt itchness in my throat and sometimes I have hard time swallowing things down my throat. Please help me know what is the causes of my bleeding throat. Thanks and God bless!!!
|

replied April 13th, 2008
I think it's allergies
I had this feeling all last summer and fall like there was a big ball of pflegm in the back of my nose immediately above my throat. My husband thought it had something to do with the fact that I was gradually tapering off an anxiety medicine and that my gaba receptors were messed up. It did go away over the winter, but now I am starting to get it again. I think that it definitely is an allergy symptom, but it could be a different allergy for everyone who has it. I have had allergy testing and the only seasonal allergy I have is to mold. However, pollen and other things in the air can still cause a lot of problems even if you are not allergic to them. My ENT is out of advice to give me, as I have tried all allergy medicines. I did take a natural allergy supplement yesterday which helped a little. However, I caution all of you with those natural supplements. The bottle told me to take 3 of these big green pills at a time, but I think that was too much for me because I felt a little nauseous. I did feel some draining and thinning of that pflegm though and it was gone within an hour.
|

replied April 21st, 2008
jacneese
I HAVE THE SAME THING!!!! I feel as if there is a bug in my throat that i cannot swallow or get out!
|
12 >>
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
User Profile
Dr. Srinivas Singaram
User Profile