Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

Can You Miss a Period From Being Sick/antibitoics?? (Page 1)

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Hi gang,

i am three days late for my period and i'm sort of freaking out. I stopped my bc pill after 10 long years in august and I have had two regualr periods, cycle 35 days apart since then. I have been taking vitex-an herb- to keep it regulated and I have been tracking my cycles on a website to see how my body is doing. I was pretty sick two weeks ago with a bacterial upper respiratory thing and was on antibitoics for 10 days, plus ealier this month I was really stressed out over some work stuff which I believe led me to getting sick. I had mid cycle cramps two weeks ago while I was sick and i've had all of the usual pms signs for the past two weeks, but no period. I know i'm not pg, my husband was fixed last year, but i'm still freaking a little cause when I was younger, I would skip a lot then have a bad period when I finally did get it. My last two periods were actually pretty light and I don't want to have to rely on the pill again to be regular cause I want to do this naturally- 10 years was long enough to be on synthetic hormones.

Anyway, my ? Is, is it true that sickness or antibiotics delay your ovulation therfore make you period late or skip?? I have been better for over a week now and as I said before, i've had all the pms signs just no period. Any responses would be greatly appreciated!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper PlaneBlewUp
|

replied November 27th, 2005
Active User, very eHealthy
Well if you were stressing out, that could lead to you being late on your period. Don't you love when that happens? It's possible that your body could just be having a reaction to you going off birth control - 10 years is indeed a long time, so your body could just be re-adjusting. I know because after I stopped birth control, my periods acted as if I was still on the pills for over a year, and then I too freaked out when my period one month came over a week late. My body was just going back to it's old natural cycle.

Don't worry too badly over 3 days - a missed period could be the result of many things. I've skipped a few in my lifetime and it was the result of my body just being weird on me. If you've very very overly concerned, though, you can always ask your doctor about it and see what they have to say or what they can do to help.

Sorry if I wasn't much help... >.<
|

replied December 9th, 2005
Whenever I am on antibiotics or am sick my cycle get messed up. I have been early and I have late. Absolutely antibiotics can effect your cycle. You can always take a pregnancy test to be sure anyway.
|

replied January 4th, 2010
Well, im late by 10 days, my periods arnt regular to start off with, but 10 days is still a worrie, im so scared incase im pregnant, but iv just remebered, i was sick on the 11th of december, and i was due on the 25th, 10 days later and theres still no sign of my period. im starting to think it may well be because i vommited a good 4 times a few weeks back, but it was the first time i had vommited in 4 years. i use protection everytime i have sex with my boyfriend, and theres never any problems, so im hopeing it was because i was sick. :/
|

replied February 25th, 2010
nikim:

i'm in the same situation. my period is 6 days late but i had the stomach flu (vomiting all night every 15 minutes basically) 3 weeks ago. i'm wondering if that can totally mess with my cycle. i'm freaking out that i might be pregnant.

did you get your period?

thanks for sharing.
|

replied March 1st, 2010
yeah, eventually i did get my period, i took pregnancy tests and alsorts though because i had that doubt in my mind. but it looks like it was due to me being sick that month. so yeah, being ill can mess your cycle, and just put it off track abit.
if your worried, id take a pregnancy test, just to make sure, thats what i did, because then you'll get a more accurate answer, then you can take it from there x
|

User Profile
replied April 10th, 2010
GAH!
Ugh, I''m in the same situation. My boyfriend came in me when my period was ending and I took plan B, so I wasn''t too worried about. Then I figured out I had an infections and went on antibiotics for a good 2 weeks (vomited every day because my stomach couldn''t handle it) after that I got really sick with a cold. My period was due 4 days ago, all that is going through my mind is that I''m pregos because the plan B might have not worked...
Hate mother nature atm XP I''ll write back if I get it or get tested. wish me luck.
|

replied May 3rd, 2010
in april i had a urinary track infection, that leaded up to me being in the hospital over night. it spread to my kidneys. they put me on antibiotics, and told me it was really good that i went to the hospital. i had my period right before going into the hospital. i havent had my period since, and im a bit worried but i took 2 pregnancy tests and they were both negative. i think it might have been from stress and the infection. i just lost someone very close to me and i think that is putting a toll on my body. but i am a bit nervous myself. a kidney and a urinary track infection may mess up my period right?
|

replied October 11th, 2011
Wow I actually had the SAME thing happen to me, all except for the hospital. I got a UTI and it spread to my kidneys and a couple days before I had gotten my period, I went to the doc and got put on antibiotics. But Im at least three days late now, I dont get it....and I really hope Im not preggo.
|

replied August 13th, 2012
uti & no period
I am in the same situation right now - had a UTI all last week. Then I was stressed out doing an event, starting on new meds, and not sleeping bc of my cat. Im only 2+ days late - on birth control and do have a bf but we are safe and havent had sex in months. I have the usual symptoms of leading up to my period but nothing! Im so nervous and just want my damn period!
|

replied May 25th, 2010
i had a kidney infection and was in the hos for a week. and had sex with my bf right after. and i am 1 or 2 weeks late and im goin crazy. if im prego im dead. im prayin that im not. so my question is. wat is the chance i am( we were unprotected but he didnt come inside me) prego and can my kidney infection and meds mess with my periord?
|

replied May 25th, 2010
i had a kidney infection and was in the hos for a week. and had sex with my bf right after. and i am 1 or 2 weeks late and im goin crazy. if im prego im dead. im prayin that im not. so my question is. wat is the chance i am( we were unprotected but he didnt come inside me) prego and can my kidney infection and meds mess with my periord?
|

replied June 13th, 2010
Can being sick effect menstral cycles
Ok so i had sex a month ago and we used a condom and it didnt look lk it leaked but who knows. I got my period the next day and had it the full time. I havnt had sex since and i am 5 days late. Im not usually on schedule im always late but idk im freakin a lil i had a cold a couple days before im supposed to start. Jus sore throat wasnt nautious or anything... Idk freakin a lil help???
|

replied June 27th, 2010
Omg I'm going through the same thing!! I was really sick 3 weeks ago & was on strong antibiotics for a week. I've always had regular periods before that, but now I'm 6 days late & really starting to freak out :S
|

replied July 30th, 2010
One Week Late
Im a week late, i was due for my period on the 24th and on the same day i felt really ill with a sore throat, i started taking antibiotics on the 27th, im retty sure after reading all these posts that being ill can definately make you late but i was just wondering if anyone knew how long your period could be or even if it can skip completely?

Confused Gal x
|

replied August 23rd, 2010
Same here!
Omg I'm in the same boat! I We had unprotected sex on July 23rd. Then I took plan b on the 24th. Six days later I had my "period" which apparently was just plan b making me bleed. On August 17th we had unprotected sex but he did not ejaculate inside me for sure. It is now the 23rd and I was supposed to have my period on the 15th. I'm terrified! Because I am 8 days late! I had a stomach flu yesterday so I'm wondering if that is going to affect it along with my stressing. And I also heard plan b can make you really irregular for the next couple months. Ahhh ):
|

replied August 31st, 2010
LATE!!
I am almost 2 weeks late on my period and I stopped taking birth control 2 months ago. I have had sex twice in those past 2 months, one unprotected and one protected, but never ejaculated inside. I'm freaking out though because I don't know why I'm not starting. I was sick with a cold for a couple weeks so I'm thinking thats why.. and now I feel like I have a UTI or kidney infection so I'm thinking this could delay too. I'm going to the doctor in the morning to find out.
|

replied September 1st, 2010
Antibiotics messed up my cycle
I was on several antibiotics because a doctor at the clinic I visited thought I had an infection. He gave me massive doses of 3 different antibiotics intraveneously. However, the swelling did not go down, so I suspected that I never had an infection. The next day I went to a dermatologist. He said I did not have an infection - just a bad reaction to poison ivy.

I am now spotting instead of having my normal period. I am positive it is from the antibiotics. I was not sick, did not have an infection, etc. I usually have very heavy periods. I believe the antibiotics messed up my cycle.
|

replied September 24th, 2010
I was hospitalized from severe burns which delayed my period 4 months to the first and 2 months til the second. So pretty much anything slightly abnormal can send your period into chaos. Think of it this way, your body doesn't want to reproduce when you are unfit to do so. So you won't begin the cycle until you are capable of holding a child.
|

replied October 11th, 2010
I am on this chronic medication that reduce the birth control effectiveness. For the past 2 weeks I been sick, and 1 week ago I stop my birth control after I finished the pack. Since my bf and I broke up. But we had sex when I was on the second week of the birth control. Now I am still sick from my sinus infection/flu, and I am freaking out. cuz my period is one week late! I hope it is this illness that's making it late.

I'm scared to take a pregnancy test b/c I'm scare the birth control pill will mess up the reading. ugh.... this is so stressful...
|

replied November 10th, 2010
i was looking this up because im on antibiotics, 3 days late with heavy pms and cramps, no cycle. i already have 5 children, my first when i was 17 and it was the best thing that ever happened to me, went to college and got all honors, i was not a good high school student, so ladies, if some of you are expecting, see the bright side, i have to, i really kind of despise the man I just started dating and if im preg I will braek up with him never tell him and raise baby number 6 alone and keep shining happy, fear is the only killer, but the test was neg today, i just really wanted to see if antibiotics could be an influence... seems that way.
|

replied August 19th, 2011
TO ANYONE THAT CAN HELP ME I NEED A RESPONSE ASAP!!!
hey my period has been always regular but this month i missed it i was suppost to get it on the 15th of this month and now i am 4days late and i am SOO FREAKING OUT!!! i've takiin 2 at home tests and both were negative but tht was lyk wednesday morning like it says on the box to use a morning urin cuz there cld be more pregancy hormones in it. Ive been stressing over it so much cuz i am only 17 and still in school and i jus cant be pregnant, i have a bf and eveyrtime we've had sex we've used a condom, a month calendor cycle type thing, and the pull out mythed. i was sick with a small cold sore thoat, cough like 4 days b4 up to the day i was suppost to get my period, pplus 2 days b4 the 15th i got bucked off a horse and was really sore the next 3 days.
|
12 >>