Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

How Long After Contact Canhiv Symptons Appear

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
Does anyone know on average how long after an exposure to hiv a person would start to show symptoms.

I started 2 days after with prostrate pain and pain in the penis.

About 6 days after and even now I have the following symptoms: mild tempreature 99-99.8, slight sore throat and my taste is altered, also pain but not sweling in the lymph node areas, pain in my joints and sore muscles and joints. Could these symptoms appear so suddenly
i have had several people tell me that symptoms hardly ever start immediately.
It just seems to be too much of a cioendence
any advice would be greatly appreciated
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 23rd, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Fever is always a sign of infection, you will have to play a waiting game for about 2-3 days and if it doesnt go away then I recommend seeing a dr unless fever goes above 104 then go to er.

As for hiv I have heard it can take a year sometimes even more to show, dont get me wrong here but this is what is explained in sex ed lol!!
|

replied November 23rd, 2005
Time Between Exposure And Symptoms
Diamond, if I understood you correcty the chances of showing a lot of symptoms would not usually be within the first 2 weeks
|

replied November 24th, 2005
Active User, very eHealthy
The symptoms of hiv cover a wide spectrum and can differ greatly between all people. Symptoms almost never occur within the first 2 weeks of being exposed, but can be as little as 4-12 weeks, or as long as a year or two, often dependent on how long the virus is dormant for.
|

replied November 29th, 2005
Don't Be Scared, Be Educated
Hi. Being scared isn't going to help in your case at all. Get educated. Next time, use a condom, latex and strong. Also get to know your partner and get tested together before sex if possible. It can take several months and sometimes years for true signs to show. But, if you get tested at least 1-3 months after exposure, you will know if you have been exposed. Being exposed doesn't mean you have aids, but that you carry the hiv virus, that causes aids. If your results are negative, and I pray they are, then get tested agin in 6 months. If they remain negative then you do not have hiv. The reason so many people don't know for years or months is because they don't get tested. So, get tested. That is the only way to know. Also, the symptoms of hiv are usually flu like systoms that are mild to moderate, and then later get worse in round 2. Keep in mind it is "flu season", and there are all types of flus that affect each person differently. Also, don't rule out a std. Go to the doctor and find out what's going on. The worse thing you could do, is not know the truth, and give it to other people.
|

replied December 1st, 2005
Re: How Long After Contact Canhiv Symptons Appear
Hi. Today is world aids day. Free testing! Did you get tested?
|

replied December 1st, 2005
Just Lound Out Positive
Protected was not protected, the coloring on my penis from the flavored must have somehow been blood instead of lube.
2nd prc test came back positive
what do I do?
Should I live or end it before telling anyone
beautiful wife and 2 great kids.
|

replied December 5th, 2005
Go to the Doctor!
Okay, just stop!!!! If you are really, really serious go to the emergency room and tell the doctor what's going on. You really sound like you have a std! Or possibly pnuemonia. Stop torchering yourself, please!!!!
|

replied December 2nd, 2012
Scared of aids
I had sex with my gf around two month back After few days i got head ache and cold then start fever around 100. I went to dr. He give some tab. I have gastrible problem. I never had food on time. I took med but my friend told me to take antibiotic for viral. I took then reduced. But some times I have body pain and head ache. If I take any cold drinks, sleeping with ac so morning inhale sore throat. When intake hot water ita coming out. Neckpain then head ache not every time. Am so scared now.head ache means not heavy but I feel some thing is there. I don't know what to do.
|