Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gout Forum

Gingko Biloba

Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....
Is it safe, harmful, helpful, for someone with gout?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 5th, 2005
Ok I experimented on myself, since there were no replies.
I exploded.
So id urge others not to use this herb for gout.
|

replied May 3rd, 2006
I Can't Believe More Isn't Being Said On This!!
Wow, found your post - looking on line trying to figure out what brought on my first gout attack in 2 years since losing 100lbs - started taking gingko biloba a few weeks ago!!! I had no idea that it could aggrevate my old gout issue!! Has anyone else had this experience?
|

replied May 18th, 2009
I started Ginkgo a few weeks ago as well, and my gout acted up twice in 3 weeks. I haven't had an attack since a year ago. Don't know if its coincidence, or if Ginkgo is really bad for Gout. Read somewhere that it contains traces of colchicine, which is a type of Gout medication for flare ups. I will try staying off, and see if my gout attacks again.
|

replied August 25th, 2009
Amazing, I started the gingko a couple of months ago and four weeks later started experiencing my 'worst' and longest lasting bout with gout(in about 30 years of off and on bouts, NONE in the last 6 years). Nowhere near my Doc, I tried a few leftover Indocin and then hit the ibuprofen hard...very little relief in three full weeks! I've been on celery seed and cherry extracts for a couple of weeks and have seen little result. Wish I had found this message board before this morning...everything I had read before indicated that gingko had possible BENEFITS for gout. No more for me until I get this figured out!
|

replied November 19th, 2009
I've taken Ginkgo Biloba for a month, my gout pain in my big toe started a week ago and has been nearly constant, the longest attack I've had. I will stop Ginkgo Biloba immediately and see how it goes. I see daily aspirin may not be good either.
|

replied June 30th, 2012
I wish I had seen this post earlier!!! I have been I tears for a week because the pain has been so bad!!! That was the only thing new in my diet. This is the second morning I have been off of it but I'm am still in so much pain!!! I ate about a pound of cherries yesterday, taken lots of Tylenol & naproxen, & still the pain hasn't subsided. This has been my longest & worst attack ever!!!! This time I had a joint on the side of my left heel but under my ankle swell up. This area has never been affected before. This time was so bad!!!! I am nurse & I have never heard this before. Never again will I take ginko biloba!!!!!!
|

replied June 30th, 2012
I was reading some other posts on taking 2tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar, 1tbsp honey, mixed w/ warm water to reduce uric acid levels & pain. Going to try it right now & see what happens!
|

replied June 30th, 2012
I was reading some other posts on taking 2tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar, 1tbsp honey, mixed w/ warm water to reduce uric acid levels & pain. Going to try it right now & see what happens!
|

replied April 2nd, 2013
Celery seed works .need to take two caps 450mg a day .morning and evening. Also boswellia its indian Frank incense is good . Difene and NSAIDS will wreck your stomach and gut lining. Also increase heart attack risk by 60 percent.
|

replied April 2nd, 2013
Ps tylenol will make attacks worse as its acid forming -acetominophen or paracetamol as the rest of the world calls it. CHERRIES are good but I never found them that effective. Raw tomatoes good but cooked ones are lethal.Also avoid salmon like the plague., pork , sausages, beer, , cooked meats,.Chicken is ok but plain and no gravy.Alkaline foods cucumber, celery, walnuts, potatoes, carrots, white fish in mOderation, avocado, turmeric is good use ot Like saltas its anti inflammatory as well.drink 2 litres water per day.
|

replied May 6th, 2013
Im taking ginko right now and it hasn't triggered a gout attack

The only thing that knock my gout out is prednisone and indocin. It works everytime. My symptoms are usually gone in 48-72 hours.
|
Quick Reply