Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Can You Still Be Pregnant If Your On Your Period?

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
Hi, I was just wanting some information or some advice, I know I should take a prg test but I was wanting to wait another week to make sure it will be accurate.
I had intercourse maybe 12 days ago and the past few days my breasts are heavier and fuller and they are a little sore... I been extremly thirsty and having to go to the bathroom I dont know maybe every 10 min from what it seems, I have felt nauseated the past 4 days different times of the day mostly after I eat or when I wake up early in the morning to take my finace to work. All in all I just feel like crap most of the time. But the thing is I started my period yesterday and its pretty heavy but ive been cramping for 6 days! I still have 5 days left for my period. Normally I cramp the day before and the day of then im done. Ive been having cravings. So I dont know... Normally I dont have any signs with my period so I know this isnt normal. Can you still have a period and be pregnant? Is that dangerous?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper zebra1204
|

replied November 22nd, 2005
Active User, very eHealthy
Well if you tihnk too much that you may be pregnant, your body will play mean tricks on you and make you feel what you perceive to be pregnancy symptoms, when in reality, there's really nothing happening.

Anyway, to answer your question...Yes, you can still get your period while you're pregnant. Some women can have a couple periods during pregnancy, while others will bleed for the whole nine months. It depends on the woman's body, really - to know for sure if you've conceived, you would benefit from a blood test. I know you can sometiems get negative results from the home tests, and blood tests are very rarely inaccurate.

Good luck to you
|

replied May 11th, 2012
Bleeding during pregnancy
If you are pregnant, you are NOT having a "period." These two things cannot happen at the same time. Your period is the shedding of the egg and uterine lining, hence, you can't have your period and be pregnant. If you are pregnant and bleeding, this is called "vaginal bleeding," which is different than your period.
|

replied November 3rd, 2012
yes you can stillbe pregnant whlle on your period you probley don't knw your pregnant because it seems on real to have a period in be pregnat but in reallity you can my mom bleed all nine mounths with me and my sister her last child she had her period to my play sister she had her period all may till the whole summer she didn't know she was pregnnt even though she was showing because she was on her period and the pregnncy test came back negitive but guess what she is prego with a healthy baby girl in sdue and january so there for what you said is wrong. AND PREGNACY TEST SOMETIMES DO COME BACK NEGATIVE SO I SAY WAIT TILL YOU START SHOWING THEN THE DOCS CAN REALLY TELL IF YOU ARE
|

replied November 22nd, 2005
Question: can you be pregnant and still get your period?

Answer: well, no, you can't get your period once you're pregnant — once your body starts producing the hormone human chorionic gonadotropin (hcg) and your pregnancy is established, your menstrual cycle is interrupted and normal periods will stop — but you may have bleeding or spotting during pregnancy that can seem like a period.

Some pregnant women have what's called "implantation bleeding" that can happen around the time their period is due, and they may mistake that bleeding for a period.

This spotting may be caused by the fertilized egg burrowing into the blood-rich lining of the uterus (a process that starts just 6 days after fertilization) and it's generally a lot lighter than a typical period — just a day or two of very light spotting.

If you're pregnant and you're not sure when your last period started, this can make establishing a due date difficult for your healthcare provider. If you have any doubts, your practitioner can feel how big your uterus is with a pelvic examination and estimate how far along you are. In most cases, your provider will also order an ultrasound before midpregnancy to measure the size of your developing baby to clarify exactly when the baby is due.

Many women who bleed a little bit in early pregnancy go on to deliver without any complications, but bleeding can also be a cause for concern. It may be the first sign of a miscarriage; if so, your symptoms will probably go on to include heavy cramping and bleeding much heavier than a normal period. If you have sharp pains in your lower abdomen, especially if the pain is only on one side, you should see your practitioner right way to find out if you may have an ectopic pregnancy (also known as a tubal pregnancy). Because of these potential complications, if you bleed at all early in your pregnancy, it's best to notify your doctor or midwife to get specific instructions. She may suggest getting a blood test to check your hcg levels or order an ultrasound to evaluate your condition more thoroughly.

i think the stress is getting to you!..

Good luck..
|

replied November 23rd, 2005
Hi, see ive been cramping for maybe 7 days or more not really sure, and its pretty heavy bleeding, but today the 3rd day isnt too bad, just a normal period. I really dont think about it much, if I am pregnant I would be excited we'd like to have a baby but if not that would be fine too.... I have an appointment dec 20th so hopefully we will see where it goes...Pray its not a miscarriage! Thanks :d if anyone has any more info that would be great too, the more the better
|

User Profile
replied May 14th, 2009
confused
hi i;ve been feeling sick for 13 days now only 3 days after ovulation i was due on the 12th may and took a pregnancy test and it was negative still feeling sick every morning and most of the day but now i'm bleeding today could i still be pregnant i cant think of anything else or why i would feelsick all the time for nothing
thank you emzy
|

replied January 30th, 2010
yea you could still b pregnant i was so sick when i was pregnant every morning i thought i had the stomach flu and went to the doctor and they said "youre pregnant"
|

replied May 17th, 2010
Hi I'm having some symptoms of pregnancy but just got off my period. I wake up sick every morning and my brests are very sore. My periods come regularly but I just can't figure out why I feel so sick!!!??? I know that it's not the stomach flu cuz I would have it all day long. Any amswers??
|

replied May 24th, 2013
early pregnancy symptoms
hi..i am 17 and sexually active for a couple months now and I was feeling light cramping like I was on my period bt it wasn't my period...I was feeling tired and light headed...I was also feeling nauseous every once in a while and to tell the truth my breasts have been a little sore bt didn't think much of it...I was about 5 days late on my period and was worried bt got them later on and were light at first then got heavier on the second day...it normally is heavier at the beginning at my period and lighter throughout the week bt It doesn't feel normal...I always happen to eat more and go to the washroom even more than I was before...my boyfriend is worried because he is 16 and isn't ready for a kid yet...but if I am pregnant he is gonna step up right away and gonna start to be a father...all im wondering is....am I pregnant??
|

replied December 20th, 2014
pregnant
hello im 16 and ive been sexually active for a couple weeks now and i just wronging if you can get pregnant .......why your on your period and ive been sick for a while now and i just need so help
|